• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

PSU's US News Ranking

Time. With all the positive development that PSU has gone through over the last few years and the #7 in the "Up & Coming" ranking, I half expected them to go up this year. PSU is a very young institution, so it's not quite fair to compare it to older, more established schools. It may take some time. Until then, you'll have to live with PSU's favorable rankings in the Princeton and Carnegie rankings.

I'm not a huge fan of USNWR because their system oversimplifies things. The Carnegie classifications are much more interesting, but of course most people prefer the single number that USNWR provides.

We could move into the third tier in a couple of ways. We need to continue to increase on-campus housing to improve student retention. We also need to keep adding graduate level degree programs specifically PhD programs. National universities ratings are based on breadth of graduate education. We've been adding PhD programs and are up to 17 now. I believe if we added say 5 more, it would help significantly. We should immediately add a standalone PhD in Physics. Others to consider would be Geology, Business Administration and an PhD for the Liberal Arts in interdisciplinary Studies building off the existing MA/MS program.

These rankings are such complete and total BS. The methodologies are laughable. I've actually been present for people responding to surveys as part of the annual rankings and it was disgusting. The whole system is set up to perpetuate the reputations of the old, big name schools.

That said, these rankings are a part of our higher education culture now, so they must be accounted for and the game must be played. Increasing student retention is a must and improving admissions standards wouldn't hurt. Alumni giving is another way to boost your score. Personally, I think we have a long way to go before we move into the third tier (as it is defined by the crazy ranking system).

I worry a little about admissions standards. PSU/PSC has always prided itself on being a working class school, with a high percentage of first-in-college students. Does raising standards mean giving that up? I'm thinking of the U Cal system. The few years I taught Freshman Inquiry I had lots of working class students, and on average they were as bright as any, with the "standards" what they are. retention is getting better, but it will always be lower than say Lewis and Clark or George Fox, for obvious reasons. We may have to raise admission standards to deal with the high enrollment, and I wouldn't mind that. We are very very short on classroom space! One classroom in the Unitus building is a dog-leg; students cant' see the instructor. And that's just for starts.
Forget USNWR - get some classrooms!

Latest posts

Back