• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

QB Changes?

I know we have all expressed some degree of frustration with the Eags three QB attack, and how predictable it makes the offense. It is clear we need to make some changes to how we are running the offense, and we may be needing to make some dramatic changes if we want to turn this season around and get moving back in the right direction.

While Kekoa has has done some great things at Eastern and has proven to be a competent QB when he gets in a rhythm, I am not convinced he can bring the kind of spark we need to get the offense back to where it needs to be heading into Big Sky play.

I think we need to shake things up and get Wortham more snaps as a quarterback, and not just line him up on gimmick plays. He showed last week with that deep TD pass that he has some good arm talent, and he is one of our most dynamic playmakers with the ball in his hand. While he is not VA or EB, he more closely fits the mold of the starting Eastern quarterbacks on our most dynamic offenses.

Curious on anyone else’s thoughts on handing over the keys of the offense to Mike, or what else can be done to get this back on track? The predictability of how we currently use our three QBs is one of the most glaring issues in my eyes.

I know we have all expressed some degree of frustration with the Eags three QB attack, and how predictable it makes the offense. It is clear we need to make some changes to how we are running the offense, and we may be needing to make some dramatic changes if we want to turn this season around and get moving back in the right direction.

While Kekoa has has done some great things at Eastern and has proven to be a competent QB when he gets in a rhythm, I am not convinced he can bring the kind of spark we need to get the offense back to where it needs to be heading into Big Sky play.

I think we need to shake things up and get Wortham more snaps as a quarterback, and not just line him up on gimmick plays. He showed last week with that deep TD pass that he has some good arm talent, and he is one of our most dynamic playmakers with the ball in his hand. While he is not VA or EB, he more closely fits the mold of the starting Eastern quarterbacks on our most dynamic offenses.

Curious on anyone else’s thoughts on handing over the keys of the offense to Mike, or what else can be done to get this back on track? The predictability of how we currently use our three QBs is one of the most glaring issues in my eyes.
I think a change might help. Kekoa has struggled since Monmouth. He doesn't throw the ball well down the field. Wortham doesn't much throw it at all. Either guy is highly limited in what they can do. Aiden Carter was a fairly decent prospect and is now in his second year. Maybe that's where you go understanding he's likely getting the keys to the Kingdom at some point anyway?

I'd still say as bad as the offense is, the defense remains far worse. I don't see any prospects of that changing. I thought it was strange that Best made an internal hire from a terrible defense when selecting a new D Coordinator. That certainly proved to be the case.

Note this... after Drake and SELA beat us, the two of them scored a combined (COMBINED!) 3 points in their next games. SELA was shut out and lost 41-0, Drake was walloped 42-3. We got beat by two terrible teams.

Everything is just a big box of awful right now.

Last edited:
In 2022 when the wheel feel off ..."I'd still say as bad as the offense is, the defense remains far worse"...same scenario. Best kept Talkington in at QB because he was in program 5 years as a backup and felt he owed him. We needed to get Visperas in and season for 2023 even though our defense was so putrid. Not sure that would have helped matters ...maybe it would have ruined him. I just dont think even if Kekoa has a great game it will matter in a good result cause of the D. Will Ulm be back...thats big? Off coordinator needs to do something. If Aiden Carter is the future hopefully see him come in if our season is in the shitter anyway....it feels like it is.Where's our def portal players...am i missing something? All i can say they best get busy recruiting some def game changers and lots of them...cause thats key down the road.

200w.gif

I do not think Wortham is the answer at QB. Dude is like 5'8" I'm not sure he could see over the oline. A few passes to wide open receivers on trick plays does not a good QB make. They put Kekoa in for passing plays which tells me even the coaches think he is the better passer. If they want to line Wortham up at RB or slot receiver sometimes in addition to his kick return duties I'm all for it. He is a playmaker but just not at fulltime QB.

I would disagree Kekoa has "struggled" at all. If you look at this stats he has been very efficient actually. He's #2 in the country for completion percentage. Top 20 in other stats. I agree he is no EB3, VA etc

I might agree that he has issues throwing downfield, he is 40th in passing yards, but that could be caused by others such as the OC not calling plays that set him up to be successful throwing downfield or even calling anything beyond screen passes. Also, wide receivers not getting open which could be an issue, Ulm has been not playing and there has to be other weapons besides Chism to throw to. Pass protection seems fine.

EagSpectator pointed out, in the Nevada thread, that Kekoa might not be able to get into a rhythm due to having to sit out all the time while we get some dumb, predictable Taylor/Wortham run option. We need to stop that shit and let Kekoa take most of the snaps. If by chance we're ahead by a few TDs and want to burn clock by running the ball put Taylor/Wortham in, until then keep them the fuck out. The whole point of a fucking dual threat QB is if you don't know if he is going to run or throw.

Like Observer says, Best thinks he owes guys game time if they're really swell guys and work hard, like Talkington, even if it means losing games or getting valuable experience to the next guy up.

TLDR Kekoa is fine, just let him play QB and stop with this multiple QB run option nonsense.

Last edited:
I'd still say as bad as the offense is, the defense remains far worse. I don't see any prospects of that changing. I thought it was strange that Best made an internal hire from a terrible defense when selecting a new D Coordinator. That certainly proved to be the case.
Not that strange if you think about it. If you were a coach would you want to work for a head coach who has one year left on his contract. So if you had any hope of keeping your job you would have to completely turn around one of the worst defenses in the FCS in one off season. Not much loss for someone who will lose their job anyway ie an internal hire.

I don't think any of the 3 who are currently getting reps are the answer at QB. I'd like to see us start grooming some of the younger talent. At this point I don't know what there is to lose.

Latest posts

Back