• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Recruiting Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy

Now that we've had a little over a week to digest national signing day news, here are some off-the-cuff observations:

1. When you are near the bottom of the recruiting food chain, as most FCS schools are, your fate is never entirely in your own hands. Idaho State found that out when Colorado State called California linebacker DeMaurier Blackwell at 6 p.m. the evening before signing day and offered the Bengal commit a scholarship -- which Blackwell accepted, having never been on the CSU campus. Similarly, the Bengals offered a scholarship to 6-5, 225-pound Bishop Kelly defensive end Connor Mallett, but he got a call from Air Force late in the recruiting process, took a quick trip to Colorado Springs and became a Division I recruit.

2. Idaho State's recruiting list was, frankly, disappointing. Because most of the starters are returning next year and ISU has signed large classes the last two seasons, it's not surprising that most of the kids the Bengals signed have "future" stamped on their passports. But I'm sure Mike Kramer was hoping for one or two more kids who could make an immediate impact next year, and he may eventually wind up with them. As always, recruiting and vetting potential transfers is a year-round process and there's always the possibility of landing a couple of impact players anytime between now and August.

3. The best aspects of the ISU recruiting class: they appeared to have signed another young QB (Tanner Gueller) who can come in and compete for playing time in a year or two. They desperately needed more depth at that position. Gueller and James Delacensare, last year's QB signee, will compete for playing time as Justin Arias' backup this year (I would assume Delacensare will be the favorite since he has already used his redshirt), and then both will be competing for real next year for the starting job. The departure of Salmon's Riley Sessions was merely an acknowledgement of what most observers already knew -- he wasn't going to be a serious factor here, what with his inability to beat out punter CJ Reyes for the backup job.

Another positive to this year's class was the presence of two junior college defensive backs -- assuming they are reasonably talented, both will get excellent opportunities to play next year at a position of desperate need.

I also like the addition of Shelley's Cody Anderson, who has been off the football field for several years now, on a mission, playing junior college baseball, etc. He's reportedly 26 years old and will be a junior in eligibility next year. He's already enrolled and will benefit from a spring in the system, comes with an obvious maturity and "looks the part" of a defensive end at a listed 6-3, 275.

Finally, I like the continued collection of large-framed, young offensive linemen in the program. This year's versions include Jake Hoggan (6-6, 282), Brian Fineanganofo (6-6, 255), and Chris Miedema (6-6, 290), who signed last year but greyshirted. The Bengals' "identity" is slowly being defined as a team with a lot of young, tall o-linemen who, we must hope, can play and will stay in the program for four or five years. That is something that has been missing from the program, well,....forever.

What is apparently missing from the class, at least so far, are "home run hitters" -- wide receivers, running backs, return guys -- who can step right in and make an impact with big plays. Kramer told us he was looking for some of those, apparently had one or two such talents on campus for visits, but hasn't closed the deal, at least not yet. Also missing is a JUCO linebacker or two who could step immediately into the outside backer slots that were understaffed last year. Again, that was a target area identified by Kramer and, even though he signed a couple of high school players targeted for OLB, I wouldn't expect any of them to make an impact immediately.

4. The Idaho high school ranks were a little thin on talent this year. For the first time I can remember, no Idaho player signed with Utah, Utah State or BYU. Boise State only took two in-state kids, the University of Idaho one. Nine Idaho players signed with Big Sky schools other than ISU -- five with Weber State, three with Montana and one with Southern Utah. A few Idaho kids went out of state to D-1 offers (the afforementioned Mallet and OL Spencer King, both of B-K, committed to Air Force; BSU lost some previous commits to Washington when Chris Peterson left). But overall, it was not a great year for Idaho high school football.

5. Big Sky Conference schools continued their trend away from signing junior college and Division-I transfers. Of those announced on Wednesday, the largest number of JC kids were taken by Northern Arizona and Sac State -- with five. Conference champion Eastern Washington announced a whopping 27 signings -- all high school players. Montana announced 24 recruits -- all high school players. No program announced more than 3 D-1 transfers. Obviously, these numbers will change over the next six months, as teams add late transfers from both JCs and D-1 schools. But clearly the trend is away from program building with transfers, and toward high school foundations. That is NOT to say (Up for the Challenge) that any Big Sky school should ignore the opportunity to fill holes with transfers. ISU certainly tried this year, and may yet find a couple of more before the year is out. But the days of seeing schools like Sac and PSU taking 10 or 12 JC kids and 7 or 8 D-1 transfers in one year appear to be over. And the most consistently successful programs -- Montana, EWU and MSU -- are going heavily high school, year after year.

6. There has been an interesting trend toward announcing walk-ons on signing day. Schools used to announce only scholarship signees, but more and more schools are listing walk-ons with the preface, "accepted enrollment," or something to that effect to indicate that while the player hasn't signed an LOI or a scholarship agreement, the school has accepted them academically and they have indicated they are coming there. I suppose it's an off-hand attempt to divert "poaching" of walk-ons by other schools, because technically they are still recruitable until they enroll for the first day of class.

Here is the current JUCO and step down or 4-year transfers signing for the 2014 season.

Montana 0 JUCO’s and 0 step down or 4-year transfers

EWU 0 JUCO’s and 0 step down or 4-year transfers

North Dakota 2 JUCO’s and 0 step down or 4-year transfers

Idaho State 2 JUCO’s and 0 step down or 4-year transfers

Cal Poly 1 JUCO’s and 2 step down or 4-year transfers

Weber State 1 JUCO’s and 1 step down or 4-year transfers

UC Davis 2 JUCO’s and 0 step down or 4-year transfers

Montana State 3 JUCO’s and 0 step down or 4-year transfers

Southern Utah 3 JUCO’s and 1 step down or 4-year transfers

Portland State 3 JUCO’s and 3 step down or 4-year transfers

Northern Col 4 JUCO’s and 1 step down or 4-year transfers

Northern Arz 5 JUCO’s and 2 step down or 4-year transfers

SAC State 5 JUCO’s and 3 step down or 4-year transfers

Skippy, I disagree about this being a down year for Idaho HS talent. All told, 27 Idaho HS kids signed to play at FBS and FCS schools. Out of 1.6 million people in our state, Idaho stacks up VERY WELL per capita against anyone.

I agree with tuffgong that the talent in Idaho was very good this year, especially in the treasure valley. East Idaho was a little down but overall very good year. I know that ISU was very picky about who they offered this year due to the amount of scholarships available. Other than the lineman from Gooding, I don't believe any of the Weber commits were offered by ISU. I thought the class was very solid with some good speed. I expect that they will get a couple more DB's, a WR , and DL at least. May be looking at a drop down WR. The preferred walk ons that were added were also good pick ups. The JC RB was the big loss, I understand that he was very close to coming.

I do not think Kramer is done signing some players. I believe Kramer will sign a JUCO or step down RB and WR before August. Like you said Skippy, Kramer needs a couple of home run hitters going into the 2014 season. I am very pleased that Kramer recruited and signed two JUCO DB's to improve the defense going into the 2014 season. The high school players that Kramer recruited and signed will be the future as all of them will probably be redshirting in 2014.

Here's an open question... Does the College of Idaho and their bringing back football next fall on the NAIA level impact recruiting in state kids for ISU?

Might take a potential walk-on or two away from ISU, but I don't imagine you'd see much recruiting competition for scholarship kids.

I was really hoping that ISU would sign Meridian QB Bryson Stout, but apparently he signed to run track for Utah State. I agree that ISU didn't go after a lot of the Idaho kids that Weber did, except for McGinnis. And he could always change his mind after he gets off his mormon mission. Weber signed a lot more players than we did, and they got off to a late start with a coaching change. ISU didn't even go after QB Riley Bradshaw of Rocky Mountain -- I figured that he'd end up at an NAIA school. ISU's got to go after more Utah kids. To the best of my knowledge we've only got one on our roster. I know there's several schools down there going after so much FB talent. But Utah's a pretty good FB state and they definitely have more talent than we do, and the Salt Lake metropolitan area is pretty close to Poky. There's almost 3 million people in Utah whereas Idaho only has about 1.5 million.

spazdog1 said:
Here's an open question... Does the College of Idaho and their bringing back football next fall on the NAIA level impact recruiting in state kids for ISU?

Skippy is right. The programs most likely to be impacted by College of Idaho are Carroll College and Eastern Oregon. There are about 40 Idahoans between those two rosters, including drop downs from the likes of UI and BSU.

spazdog1 said:

Doubt it. Like Skippy said, impacts will be mostly limited to walk-on kids. Spaz, what makes you bring it up? Some rumors floating around the state?

I have only seen limited evidence so far: two kids from Century High School were offered walk-on positions at ISU and were also offered scholarships (partial? Full?) to College of Idaho. One chose an ISU walk-on, the other chose College of Idaho with a scholly.

http://pioneernewsgroup.com/chase/2014/02/11/staying-home-century-linebacker-ferguson-chooses-idaho-state-as-place-to-silence-doubters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recruiting Observation in the Big Sky.

The two teams that tend to win championships consistently every season are EWU and Montana. These are established winning programs that have built their programs over the years through good recruiting of high school players. It would appear that Kramer is building his program through recruiting of mostly high school players hoping someday that his juniors and senior classes will have the chemistry to win a championship in the Big Sky.

On the other side, teams like Northern Arizona, Portland State, and Sacramento State continue to mix their signing class with high school players, JUCO's, and 4-year transfers. All three of these teams signed JUCO's and 4-year transfers to win a championship in 2014 and 2015.

Northern Arizona had a 7 -1 record in 2013 in the Big Sky. They signed 7 players from JUCO's and 4-year transfers in 2014. It would appear that they are not only wanting a Big Sky Championship in 2014 but they are also looking at contending for a National Championship as well as they were not satisfied with just making the play-offs in 2013.

Sacramento State had a 4 - 4 record in 2013 in the Big Sky. They were not happy with this record so signed 8 players from JUCO's and 4-year transfers. This team will have the potential of contending for the Big Sky championship in 2014 if they are able to win on the road.

Portland State had a 3 -5 record in 2013 in the Big Sky. They signed 6 players from JUCO's and 4 -year transfers to help boost their record going into the 2014 season. I am not sure they will have a chance at winning a championship in the Big Sky in 2014 but they are definitely trying to improve their disappointing record from the 2013 season.

Idaho State had a 1 - 7 record in 2013 in the Big Sky. They are building their program through mostly high school players as that is Kramer's philosophy. It would appear that Kramer is looking at another 3 years to possibly win a championship as his team is too young and experienced to contend for a championship in 2014 and 2015. The Idaho State schedule will be more difficult in 2014 compared to the 2013 schedule so do not be disappointed to see another losing season. Look for Idaho State to show some improvement on defense but do not expect the offense to generate the points needed to having a winning season in the Big Sky. If Kramer is able to win 2 games in the Big Sky this season than I believe he will be given a two year extension onto his contract as that would be improvement over the last 3 seasons.

Spartan - It is not because the JUCO's and 4-year transfers do not like Kramer. It is because Kramer has elected to build his program with mostly high school players where he can redshirt most of them their freshmen year. Maybe, his philosophy is the best approach in building a program to win future championships just like EWU and Montana. Time will tell but it will not be in 2014 or 2015.

Since you like to comment on my comments after I post, here is one for you. Can you stop telling everyone that the Bengals have "QUIT" half way through the season because they are not winning games? You did not even know that the Bengals ran a "no huddle offense" or "hurry up offense" over the last 3 years so what do you know?

and poster #2 chimes in

same bs song and dance though

juco... drop down.... bad mouth kramer...

we get it.. neither of you like kramer...

I never said I did not like Kramer. I want to see Kramer have a winning season in the Big Sky. Like Skippy said, we needed some home run hitters for the 2014 season -- wide receivers, running backs, return guys -- who can step right in and make an impact with big plays..

no seriously poster #2 we get it

juco... drop down.... bad mouth kramer...

jeez ... come up with another song already or just go away

up for the challenge said:
On the other side, teams like Northern Arizona, Portland State, and Sacramento State continue to mix their signing class with high school players, JUCO's, and 4-year transfers. All three of these teams signed JUCO's and 4-year transfers to win a championship in 2014 and 2015.

ISU won a championship in 1981 with a lot of Juco's and other transfers that came on board in 1980. They were mostly gone by 1982 and the ISU had a losing record THE YEAR AFTER WINNING A NATIONAL TITLE. Transfers can bring quicker success, but the foundation will be shaky. I like what Kramer is doing, trying for a consistent contender, and it shows that he's willing to be here long-term as well.

I agree with you sniper. The foundation of building a solid program for the future is by signing "mostly" high school players. As I mentioned in the past, signing "AT NEED" players or JUCO players and 4-year transfers to fill the teams needs every season is important in my opinion so the current team has a chance of being competitive or winning championships in the Big Sky. No player on this current team wants to continue being in the cellar or near the cellar during their career. The players on this team are not happy losing every season especially after getting blown out against a winless team in Weber State to end the 2013 season. Kramer maybe building for the future by signing mostly high school players in hope his redshirt juniors and redshirt senior signing classes have the chemistry to win a Big Sky championship but it will not happen in the 2014 season. Other teams like Northern Arizona, Portland State, and Sacramento State want to win a championship in 2014 and 2015 as they know mixing the high school players with JUCO's and 4-year transfers give them the best chance when playing teams like Montana, Montana State, and EWU. Northern Colorado signed 4 JUCO's and 1 step down player for the 2014 season as they do not want to end up in the cellar again in 2014. Teams like Southern Utah and Montana State that had a winning season in the Big Sky in 2013 signed more JUCO's and more 4-transfers than ISU which tells me that they also looking to win a Big Sky Championship in 2014. I have to agree with Skippy that we needed "home run hitters" on the offense going into the 2014 season and that did not happen as of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back