• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Run and Shoot offense from start to finish

budbear

Playing Hawaii in our first game will give us a good chance to see what to expect on our last game with Portland State. Mouse Davis is the offensive coordinator at PSU who came from Hawaii last season as part of June Jones program. A good article on Mouse Davis can be found at:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports/1177903598227930.xml&coll=7

We might lose to Hawaii, but we will be ready for Portland State at the end of the season. The run and shoot works well with a good QB and Portland State won't have the talent to use it the way Hawaii can. We will pick it apart and our defense will score as many as our offense.

budbear said:
Playing Hawaii in our first game will give us a good chance to see what to expect on our last game with Portland State. Mouse Davis is the offensive coordinator at PSU who came from Hawaii last season as part of June Jones program. A good article on Mouse Davis can be found at:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports/1177903598227930.xml&coll=7

We might lose to Hawaii, but we will be ready for Portland State at the end of the season. The run and shoot works well with a good QB and Portland State won't have the talent to use it the way Hawaii can. We will pick it apart and our defense will score as many as our offense.

That's funny, first of all MD runs things differently then June does, second, how can you say "We will pick it apart and our defense will score as many as our offense" when last year, a year (where we struggled on offense all season) we could score on you guys with no problem, Smith was done after one half. I'm sorry but it will be awhile before your team can do such things. You don't have the talent yet.

UNC is our last game. I'd be willing to bet after 11 games we will know the offense better then when we started.

I just don't see the logic, last year we beat you guy 45-3 with our backups in most of the second half but now all of sudden you guys will "pick us apart", how do you come up with that conclusion?

I think that everyone is writing off this years team, but I think it is a little premature. This is a different squad from last year, with a new offense, which sounds like it will play to the team's stregnths. I doubt we will win the big sky or anything like that, but I think we will post a much more respectable record. I dont think our opponents will have the cakewalk that they had with us last year.

GoBears said:
I think that everyone is writing off this years team, but I think it is a little premature. This is a different squad from last year, with a new offense, which sounds like it will play to the team's stregnths. I doubt we will win the big sky or anything like that, but I think we will post a much more respectable record. I dont think our opponents will have the cakewalk that they had with us last year.

I agree, and hope that will happen. It's not a good thing to become a regular bottom dweller in this conference, cause look at the history, once your there, there is no going up! ISU, WSU, CSUS, they have been there for a long time.

Don't mean to wind people up, just hard to understand why someone would smack when you have zero teams in the BSC to smack to. Hard to say anything like that when you have never done it yet. the last team in the BSC to come out after one horrid season and "pick someone apart" was.....nobody.

once you are in the middle of the pack it is hard to move up too ask PSU :D just kidding viking fans , i'm just a little tired of all the UNC bashing since they joined the Big Sky. I really hope they win half their conference games just to shut some people up. It is a good thing coaches never overlook a team like fans do.

I'm sorry just having a hard time with some of these things, just the whole "how can you say that you have never done it" type of deal. I'm a person of until you do it you can't say stuff like "we will pick you apart". I restrain from saying PSU will compete at Missuola next year, find it hard to believe that we will be ted by a team that we blew out of the sky last year. I've seen turn arounds before but not everyone makes one. For all you guys know you could see another 2-9 season this year.

Hmmm, maybe I can say this a different way. This will be my last attempt so here goes.

This is a UNC FAN message board. Therefore, logic dictates that people that tend to post on here will have an optimistic outlook towards the team they support.

How is this at all a surprise?

You've made your point abundantly clear that we suck so how long until you've felt like you've told us enough?

Please let me know and I'll be sure to ignore everything you say until that time. Not that I'm bothered by it, but after the 10th or 11th time you've become a bore.

Phineas J. Whoopee said:
Hmmm, maybe I can say this a different way. This will be my last attempt so here goes.

This is a UNC FAN message board. Therefore, logic dictates that people that tend to post on here will have an optimistic outlook towards the team they support.

How is this at all a surprise?

You've made your point abundantly clear that we suck so how long until you've felt like you've told us enough?

Please let me know and I'll be sure to ignore everything you say until that time. Not that I'm bothered by it, but after the 10th or 11th time you've become a bore.

All I'm doing is backing up my team for the comment BudBear made, doesn't make any sense to me.

GoBears,

Go ahead and lock this thread.

BTW have we found our 3 mods yet?

Hey, I bleed Blue and Gold( Well, I thought I did till I cut myself the other day) anyway, I'm going to back up PSUViking. He was a great poster on the last site and has always been fair in his assessment of UNC sports. He doesn't talk smack ( and when he does it's probably well deserved). He is what I would call a "good Fan". He's the guy that comes to our stadium, dressed in his team colors, roots for his team, takes losses with grace, and wins without gloating. I will take a guy like that everyday. PSU, your post's have always been relevant to UNC or PSU (and I'm okay with the PSU stuff because your BigSky Conference) Keep it up and keep posting. That being said...I saw a program on the Discovery Channel the other day with a fight between a Viking and a Bear. When it was done, the Bear was gone and all they could find of the Viking was part of a helmet with half a horn sticking out of it. :p

I really dont have a problem with PSUViking coming here, and sticking up for his team in the process. He is a great contributer to the site, and it is nice to have someone from another BSC school that does not think that UNC should be demoted back to DII. That being said, this is a UNC board, and as with all sports and teams, sometimes 'logic' or whatever takes a back seat to pride, so if you are from another school by all means come here, stick up for your program, but just dont expect to win any converts is I guess what I am trying to say. As long as the debate dosent trun nasty, keep it up till gameday!

PS Remember there is a 'Smack Attack' Fourm

PSUVikings said:

Nobody has volunteered yet. If you want to be a mod PM me, and tell me why you want to and why you would be a good one. If I dont get any volunteers I will have 'draft' some of you :D

GoBears said:
PSUVikings said:

Nobody has volunteered yet. If you want to be a mod PM me, and tell me why you want to and why you would be a good one. If I dont get any volunteers I will have 'draft' some of you :D

There is nothing to it fans, being a mod is easy, it keeps the peace, and you look good. 8)

Why is the PSU guy always calling for threads to be locked?

A complete turn around is very doable. Hawaii went from 0 - 12 in 1998, to 9 - 4 the very next year, winning both the WAC title and a bowl game against Oregon St., under June Jones in his first year at Hawaii. I don't see why The Bears can't pull it off too.

The R & S is a very difficult offense to execute. I know. I've watched our quarterbacks struggle with it from time to time. Mouse Davis is gonna have his hands full.

The Bears stand a very good chance against the Vikings.

GLA

SundayJam said:

A complete turn around is very doable. Hawaii went from 0 - 12 in 1998, to 9 - 4 the very next year, winning both the WAC title and a bowl game against Oregon St., under June Jones in his first year at Hawaii. I don't see why The Bears can't pull it off too.

The R & S is a very difficult offense to execute. I know. I've watched our quarterbacks struggle with it from time to time. Mouse Davis is gonna have his hands full.

GLA

There is a difference, UNC doesn't have June Jones, and you have to remember they are going from Division II to Division I, it will take time, you seem to forget that PSU is getting better to, getting better after finishing in the Top 25 last year, so saying UNC has a very good chance may be a little on the outside.

Can't say it unless you've done it.

BTW SundayJam, please quit calling me out, I have done nothing to you.

PSUVikings said:
SundayJam said:

GLA

There is a difference, UNC doesn't have June Jones, and you have to remember they are going from Division II to Division I, it will take time, you seem to forget that PSU is getting better to, getting better after finishing in the Top 25 last year, so saying UNC has a very good chance may be a little on the outside.

Can't say it unless you've done it.

BTW SundayJam, please quit calling me out, I have done nothing to you.

:shock: I 'm sorry. Was I calling you out? :shock:

:?: I don't get it :?:

Hawaii got a lot of ESPN air in 2005. Colt Brennan, who is arguably the best R & S quarterback of all time, struggled with the system, and we posted a 5 - 7 record at the end of the year. I remember trying to explain to sports fans watching Hawaii play for the first time why the new QB was blowing it. My response to them was usually something like, "Hey, it's a hard dang offense to run."

Both the receiving corp and the QB have to react to defensive sets. Each has to anticipate what the other is going to do, and make his individual move accordingly. There is a lot to be said for the old school 'five yards and a cloud of dust.' style of football.

Your budget won't play a football game for you. Hawaii is not the richest football program in D1a or even in our own lowly conference. We will give anyone a game when they want one though.

SundayJam said:
Hawaii got a lot of ESPN air in 2005. Colt Brennan, who is arguably the best R & S quarterback of all time, struggled with the system, and we posted a 5 - 7 record at the end of the year. I remember trying to explain to sports fans watching Hawaii play for the first time why the new QB was blowing it. My response to them was usually something like, "Hey, it's a hard dang offense to run."
SundayJam said:
Both the receiving corp and the QB have to react to defensive sets. Each has to anticipate what the other is going to do, and make his individual move accordingly. There is a be said for the old school 'five yards and a cloud of dust.' style of football.

Your budget won't play a football game for you. Hawaii is not the richest football program in D1a or even in our own lowly conference. We will give anyone a game when they want one though.

I agree, but also you must consider we are not the WAC nor the FBS level, this is the big sky, different, therefore it is alot easier to run offenses with effectiveness in this conference compared to other levels of play. Remember, in Mouse's first year in the R&S at PSU he twice put up 100 points on teams. See what I mean? You are trying to run the R&S against Boise State type teams, we are trying to run it against Idaho State type teams.

Latest posts

Back