• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Spring ball starts-new local talent

Green Cookie Monster

Staff member
We seem very strong at QB and RB and picked up some nice receivers.

Home Cookin': Hornets hit spring football practice with more area talent
By Joe Davidson - [email protected]
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C2

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)|

A year ago, Sacramento State coach Marshall Sperbeck thumbed through the paperwork of his incoming football talent with guarded optimism. The building blocks were set in place.

These days, with his second season approaching, Sperbeck can hardly contain his euphoria. The Hornets continue to stockpile local talent, and they hit the practice field today for the start of spring drills to put it together. Sperbeck said this week that eight area products will become Hornets this fall as walk-ons, hoping to earn scholarships.

Sperbeck said five high school seniors and three college transfers are have been accepted academically by Sac State, headed by Bee All-Metro tailback Jake Croxdale of Napa and All-Metro receiver Taylor Schablaske of Ponderosa.

Croxdale seemed to slip through the recruiting cracks, but not for a lack of determination or skill or near-perfect grades. At 5-foot-7, 190 pounds, he was considered too small for college football.

"He's a great get for us," Sperbeck said of Croxdale, who rushed for 2,035 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2007 for the Sac-Joaquin Section champions.

Another good pickup is Schablaske, who had 16 touchdowns for a Bruins team that won a conference championship for the first time since 1981.

The other prep players coming aboard as walk-ons are defensive back Robert Virgil of Capital Christian, all-purpose threat Mike Elliott of Roseville and lineman Devon English of Oak Ridge.

College transfers already on campus are receiver Cory Jackson of West Campus and American River College, linebacker Ben Chandler of Del Oro and Boise State, and linebacker Kevin Moore of Ponderosa and Sierra.

"They're all really good players," Sperbeck said. "If we had more scholarships, some of them would have received one. But they'll be here and they'll fit in."

Among Sperbeck's February letter-of-intent signings from the region were quarterback Dominic Carmazzi of Jesuit, lineman Nate Doverspike of Del Campo and all-purpose player Johnny Feaster of Vacaville.

Croxdale is quite the little spark plug, but I've seen him play on multiple occasions and I'm not sure if he'll ever amount to anything other than a scout team tackling dummy. At 5'7 (if that) 190, he's not quick enough to compensate for his unusual RB proportions. I could be wrong, but either way I'm elated that Sperbeck is finding this local guys and giving them some run.

Kadeezy said:
Croxdale is quite the little spark plug, but I've seen him play on multiple occasions and I'm not sure if he'll ever amount to anything other than a scout team tackling dummy. At 5'7 (if that) 190, he's not quick enough to compensate for his unusual RB proportions. I could be wrong, but either way I'm elated that Sperbeck is finding this local guys and giving them some run.

They said the same thing about Chuck coming out of HS......

SactoHornetAlum said:
Kadeezy said:

They said the same thing about Chuck coming out of HS......

He's nothing like "Chuck", trust me. The only similarity is that they play the same position. Croxdale is overweight and used his fire hydrant-esque stature to bowl over smaller H.S. defenders. Those tactics won't work too well against the much larger DI opponents.

What I meant to say was that most said Charles would never play in college...too small. Those comments, and even yours, could and do fire up the little guys to prove everyone wrong....its simple motivation.

SactoHornetAlum said:
What I meant to say was that most said Charles would never play in college...too small. Those comments, and even yours, could and do fire up the little guys to prove everyone wrong....its simple motivation.

I hope you're right! I'll talk as much trash as I need to in order to make that boy an All-American if it works! :twisted:

That's the spirit!

Here's the thing, guys like him are going to bring friends and family. And we takeoff like I think we will, Hornet Stadium will be rocking again!

SactoHornetAlum said:
That's the spirit!

Here's the thing, guys like him are going to bring friends and family. And we takeoff like I think we will, Hornet Stadium will be rocking again!

How long has it been since we've had this sort of optomism going into a season? I would say that I had pretty high hopes the Leadingham, Amey, Gross year in 2003, but that all sorta fizzled out.

Here's Croxdale's Scout.com profile. I was surprised he had one. Too bad I don't have an account to read the articles... One star athlete.

http://airforce.scout.com/a.z?s=238&p=8&c=1&nid=3162990

Kadeezy said:
GCM, looks like he ran a 4.6 at the Fresno State summer camp last July.

He would be a good fullback, or dangerous on a screen pass or shovel pass situations. He could also be dangerous in open field as he is a good size to disappear.

Jake Croxdale has enough talent that he got the coaches at Fresno State to notice him in their camp, he just did not have the size to play at that level. I think that he could become a good player at the FCS level. James Noble had the same problem coming out of high school (5'6" - 180) and he has rushed for over 3,000 yards in his first three years at Cal Poly.

Latest posts

Back