• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Spring Football

blackfootbengal said:
DL took a hit if Chance is done, need to find a drop down or JC who can contribute right away.

I am surprised you said that as you said JC kids were a risk in your JC Recruiting topic. Why the change in opinion?

[/quote]I am surprised you said that as you said JC kids were a risk in your JC Recruiting topic. Why the change in opinion?[/quote]

Can't speak for Blackfoot but he may have said that because he knows at this point in time, recruits are hard to come by. Basically anybody who can play at the FBS / FCS level has already signed. JUCO's at this point may be the only option and again considering it is mid-April, the good ones are already spoken for among their ranks too. You may be able to get a kid at this point who has some potential but is going to have to take a year or so to develop. Odds of finding an impact kid right now are very, very long.

PBP

I am surprised you said that as you said JC kids were a risk in your JC Recruiting topic. Why the change in opinion?[/quote]

Can't speak for Blackfoot but he may have said that because he knows at this point in time, recruits are hard to come by. Basically anybody who can play at the FBS / FCS level has already signed. JUCO's at this point may be the only option and again considering it is mid-April, the good ones are already spoken for among their ranks too. You may be able to get a kid at this point who has some potential but is going to have to take a year or so to develop. Odds of finding an impact kid right now are very, very long.

PBP
[/quote]

I agree. It is too late.

Report on the scrimmage:
https://www.isubengals.com/news/2018/4/14/football-completes-first-spring-scrimmage.aspx

Here's a recap of today's scrimmage with video highlights and interviews: https://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-room-for-improvement-evident-in-bengals-first-spring/article_c1b36850-c960-5b9e-b36e-7f77cc2f50f8.html

I am impressed that it appears that the defense was more dominant at scrimmage. I liked the way that it appears coach Cooper is taking care of business especially considering he lost one of his best guys in Chance S.

Not really sure why offense struggled, but timing and repetition is everything with offense. Hope to hear about less and less orange unis as time goes on.

Any updates?

up for the challenge said:
is our defense going to be average in league this season. If so, we got a chance to win games as our offense should be pretty good.

Maybe. It all depends if they can put a decent secondary together and if the defensive line can generate a pass rush. Linebackers will be very, very solid but that's really the only area without a significant question mark or two...or three.

PBP

No surprise defense won, offenses never instal full playbooks during spring ball so the defense ends up seeing the same looks for weeks so they end up expecting a lot of the offensive play calls and looks. Tanner throwing for 4 touchdowns during a spring game is awesome, that is a very good sign.

...Makes me a little nervous PhenFan160....you mentioned ...and I agree...the defense should end up recognizing "looks" in the spring of offensive play calls, looks, tendencies, etc....so when you say "Tanner throwing for 4 touchdowns during a spring game is awesome".....it makes me wonder if our defensive secondary is so bad that they couldn't stop them .....even when they should recognize "what is coming".... :o ....hope I am wrong....

clawsout said:
...Makes me a little nervous PhenFan160....you mentioned ...and I agree...the defense should end up recognizing "looks" in the spring of offensive play calls, looks, tendencies, etc....so when you say "Tanner throwing for 4 touchdowns during a spring game is awesome".....it makes me wonder if our defensive secondary is so bad that they couldn't stop them .....even when they should recognize "what is coming".... :o ....hope I am wrong....

Admit it Clawsout. You do not like our secondary. On the other hand, you are entitled to your opinion about the team performance

Tanner is essentially a 4th year starter, for him to throw 4 touchdowns in a spring game that the defense was considered the winner is great! It means the defense is doing what they should and creating turnovers and winning the game overall but our starting QB is also putting points on the board. If we can score regularly and turn the ball over defensively regularly there is no reason we can't win the conference this season with the amount of experience we have coming back!

All the speculation will end after game one, Western State. DII, but an improvement over Western Montana. Keep in mind ISU was only 4-7 (2-6 conference)last year. This 'winning the conference' talk is really a stretch. Great arguments on paper, but the game ain't played on paper. EWU, NAU, WSU, MSU, and UM may have something to say, right? Perhaps a lowering of expectations to, say, a winning season would be the first priority. Got to learn to walk before learning to run, before running with the best.
But...NAU, UI, MSU, and WSU come to Holt. There IS a chance.
With a schedule like ISU has this year, and the great expectations some have(for well explained reasons), there is no reason a sellout or near sellout shouldn't be possible in Holt for these key games(only 12,000 seats). Will be interesting to watch.

otis campbell said:
All the speculation will end after game one, Western State. DII, but an improvement over Western Montana. Keep in mind ISU was only 4-7 (2-6 conference)last year. This 'winning the conference' talk is really a stretch. Great arguments on paper, but the game ain't played on paper. EWU, NAU, WSU, MSU, and UM may have something to say, right? Perhaps a lowering of expectations to, say, a winning season would be the first priority. Got to learn to walk before learning to run, before running with the best.
But...NAU, UI, MSU, and WSU come to Holt. There IS a chance.
With a schedule like ISU has this year, and the great expectations some have(for well explained reasons), there is no reason a sellout or near sellout shouldn't be possible in Holt for these key games(only 12,000 seats). Will be interesting to watch.

There will never be a sellout unless we are contending for a championship. I would be happy to see our defense not to give up 35.5 points average per game like last season. You tell me if our defense is going to be better than last season? I cannot say if the defense will be better than last season until the 2018 season is over. The defense will have to be average to have a winning season.

Even after fall camp we really won't know about the offense or defense. Got to play a game against, oh, say Western State to get some idea. Was the offense good because the defense is poor, or its the offense really as good as the defense? Don't know. I was off line last fall, so I only got sketchy information. I'll have a better idea sometime AFTER Sept. 2. :D

Defense intercepted four passes including a terrific individual play by Hunter Eborn. Defense recovered a fumble and had three "sacks". Parker Johnson missed two field goals and an extra point. Offense scored two touchdowns one on a pass from Tanner to Austin Campbell, the other on a long run by Kieran Yancy. He rushed 14 times by my count.

PBP

Was it just me or did it feel like Coach Phen was holding a mini tryout during spring ball for offensive players? I'm glad he is protecting his guys physically.

I won't lie I still have concerns about coaches but only 1 or 2 coaches. That being special teams and O-coordinator. I'm worried that our senior QB is ahead of him skill wise.
Honestly though if we are switching coordinators this is the ideal situation to do it, experienced players will make it easier on the coach.

Something else that may come into play this off season. Last year the university provided funds for a number of football players to be able to stay in town over the summer, take some classes and work out on a regular basis a summer scholarship if you will. Both Mike and Rob were really happy that this came to pass at ISU. Many schools are able to do this on a regular basis.

Have heard that because of potential Title IX issues the university may not be able to do this again this off season. If you provide this "benefit" (for wont of a better word) for football you must be able to provide it for the women athletes who are staying over the summer and taking classes. Have been told it's not a definite no yet and folks are working to try to provide a solution for this, but it just may not happen because there is only so much money to go around.

The good news is that with or without the financial help, roughly 50 players have said they are going to stay in town, try to find jobs and work out on a regular basis to get ready for next season.

PBP

Latest posts

Back