• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Student Run Practices

spazdog1

I'm not sure of the exact term, but it's not unusual to have summer workouts supervised by players. Coaches are not allowed to coach during the bulk of the summer months. Although I believe there may be some interaction between the strength and conditioning coach(es) and the players during that timeframe. These player run practices include blocking schemes, quarterback and receivers work on timing and routes, etc. Forgive my ignorance, but do the Bengals conduct these types of practices? Is there some type of strength and conditioning opportunity for the players? Do other BSC teams have these types of activities? Just curious.

While attending the UM individual football camp in Missoula with my son almost two weeks ago, each evening the team had a practice without coach supervision in Washington-Grizzly Stadium ( in between the football camp related activities).

They practiced for over an hour with passing drills, 7 on 7 drills, kicking etc. What was fun to watch was a drill where the receivers/running backs would stand in a circle and attempt to throw the football at each other with one hand, and attempt to catch with a single hand as well. They would then switch to opposite hands. Great drill for ball control.

Can't help but think/hope that ISU has some confederation of players doing somewhat of the same thing. ;)

I guarantee that ISU is conducting SKELLY 7 on 7 drills over the summer. You will typically see them on the south practice field or the patch of grass on the west side of Holt in the evenings. It has been that way for as long as I remember and no matter how good or how bad a team is they are always happening. It is almost an unwritten rule--kids cannot be forced to participate but those that do not may fall out of favor with coaches and teammates.

The players you may see working out together are probably going to summer school and / or live with their families in the Pocatello area. Most players go home to be with their families during the summer break as they do not have the money for rent, food, and etc. If the players from Montana are working out as a team than most of them are either from the Missoula area or have the financial resources to stay the summer. What is important is that the ISU players report to Fall Camp in good football shape.

I think more participate than you might think. Especially newcomers.

Read:
http://newsok.com/summer-gruel-its-no-vacation-for-college-football-players/article/2744120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2511391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heh, don't you remember the now infamous rant by Dan Hawkins because some players were complaining they didn't get enough time off during the summer? :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF9jh4xALxE[/youtube]

I doubt 15% or more of the ISU players are working out together unless they live nearby, decided to attend summer school, or have family financial support. BCS schools require their players to attend summer camp as they have the finances to pay for the players room and board. I do not believe ISU has the finances to pay for their players room and board during summer break so the team can work out together.

Many football players will go home for a month, those that don't live in the area or did not get jobs. Sometime early in July they will start coming back into town to start working out. Usually two or three times a week the players get together and run skelly passing drills or seven on seven drills. About the the middle of July the new kids will start coming into town to start working with the kids here. Early in August the team will begin practice for the season. There are usually about thirty kids in town at any given time during the summer. Kramer as I remember encourages the kids to take at least a month off, must think it helps recharge the batteries.

....i went by the new practice field yesterday evening about 7:30 -8:00 and there were 18 or 19 players working out....i watched for 15 minutes or so...they were doing 7 on 7 drills......they were working hard in the heat of the evening....made me think how we need to support them in the fall for what they are doing now.... when no one's watching......"Go Bengals!"........

Good to hear some players stayed in town and are working out together. The players that are not in town are probably working out on their own getting ready for fall camp. The coaches will get them into football shape once fall camp starts.

The summer workouts and player run practices is where you can make your season. "Team" building, chemistry, dedication, leadership... you name it.

Latest posts

Back