• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Summer Workouts

That’s a positive report, sounds about right everyone is competing for playing time. No spot is locked up at this time of the year and it sounds like Coach Evans is going to give us his everything he has. Maybe after those asst. coach’s bail on Evans made him want to prove he’s still capable of doing the job.

Let’s hope they keep up the work on rebounding that will be a key. And I remember a post game interview with Bill where he said the only way to be a good rebounding team was to “get guys that rebound” insinuating guys couldn’t get better at it through coaching. I found that absurd. Love to hear to Sam is playing well bc that means wel have a very good back up also he is flat awesome as a kid. Lastly bill has never been afraid to “get in the a guys face” imo he needs to worry less about that and more about end game situations. That’s where coaching shows and that’s where we never seemingly have success

bengal37 said:
Let’s hope they keep up the work on rebounding that will be a key. And I remember a post game interview with Bill where he said the only way to be a good rebounding team was to “get guys that rebound” insinuating guys couldn’t get better at it through coaching. I found that absurd.

I've heard Bill say this too. He recruited Jake McCord who averaged over 12 rebounds a game at Big Bend, but how did that turn out for either of them? Might have been a case where he just expected him to rebound, and didn't set him up to be successful. Who knows. I heard Jake transferred to Westminster. If true, it will be interesting to see his stats playing for Norm Parrish.

Robert Jones and Keyshawn Leggins both left ISU and they both had great season last year. We can’t continue to worry about what we had and loss, let’s turn the page and put all our positive energy towards THIS TEAM.

Agree the only truly important thing is how this team does under this staff. But I don’t think it’s illogical to pontificate on how we would have been had we kept guys that have gone on to prolific careers elsewhere (imo Jake will be the next) Did we not do enough with the talent that was there is a legitimate question. And I believe we have not. We have had the talent to be better than what our records have shown and that falls on bills crumbling shoulders imo. We now have a new staff that has to lift that up and they have large shoes to fill from guys that saw the writing on the wall and got out. BUT we have hope. And that my fellow bengals is in the form of the best back court in the league. I think this group will overcome sub par coaching...especially late game...and be good. Very good.

This is a very important year for ISU mens basketball it could make of break the future for the several reasons. First of all Coach Evans (who I personally like) is in the final year of his contract, Second we have several players that are red shirt juniors that have the option of transferring after this year like (Novak). I for one don't believe in players leaving the school that gave them the opportunity that no other coach or school has. Again most if not all of our players didn't have any other schools offering them scholarships out of high school and those from JC schools are bounce backs from other schools program. So that being said I feel they owe it to ISU and Evans for taking a chance and signing them to play at the D-1 level. Lets hope none this comes in to play after next year, I would like to see coach Evans return along with this group of players. This season is going to be very exciting and again lets get behind them and show the coaching staff and players that they have a support team following them. I'm going to try and make it out to as many games as possible GO BENGALS.

Assessment: No true "post players" in this group, but enough athleticism in Walker and Maker, hopefully, to rebound and defend against similar style Big Sky type forwards. (Although one must wonder, after watching the way Weber's Zack Braxton surgically carved up the Bengals on the low block last year, how ISU will fare against the few true post players in the league). Truman really struggled in his first year in the program, and it remains to be seen if he has the athleticism to contribute much this year. If ISU signs another player, I'd guess it will either be another PG or a post player to add depth here, in the event that Ingram's appeal is denied.

What worries me about next year is we got our butts kicked down low with Novak in the post, what’s the plans for next season without him. The Weber kid killed us last year. How do we plan to defend in the post this season?

Defending the POST is going to be a problem if we try to work the ball down low or allow our opponents to play a half court game, with the group of returns shooters along with the added players I firmly believe were going to run teams out of the gym. We have more depth (Deeper Bench) we have plenty of wings that can shoot the 3 when shooting its opens up the paint which is going to allow Boyd/Dowd and to get to the hoop. If help comes off one of our shooters by the defense then that where's the ball goes. I believe this year our shooters will have a good year and our PG's will average 8/10 Asst a game, when we run it will take our opponents bigs out of their comfort zone. It will also cause teams to play a smaller line up to defend against what should be a high scoring ISU Team. We should create match up problems for most team that don't defend or play good defense, running a three guard offense with Stutzman being versatile and can play from a 2 to 4. Stutzman is one of the keys to this years success because he creates the match up problem for opponents, they have to most likely defend him with a guard because of his shooting ability. The not many guards in the BIG SKY that are 6'6 and Stuttzman is going to have with small guards shooting over them and taking them to the basket. Moscan & GC can hang out around the three point line and make a good living, This year I'm sure we'll add several plays off the pick and roll and cause mismatchs which should draw fouls. Thats another part of our game we MUST FIX this year we can't leave points at the foul line.

Itiger said:
Assessment: No true "post players" in this group, but enough athleticism in Walker and Maker, hopefully, to rebound and defend against similar style Big Sky type forwards. (Although one must wonder, after watching the way Weber's Zack Braxton surgically carved up the Bengals on the low block last year, how ISU will fare against the few true post players in the league). Truman really struggled in his first year in the program, and it remains to be seen if he has the athleticism to contribute much this year. If ISU signs another player, I'd guess it will either be another PG or a post player to add depth here, in the event that Ingram's appeal is denied.

What worries me about next year is we got our butts kicked down low with Novak in the post, what’s the plans for next season without him. The Weber kid killed us last year. How do we plan to defend in the post this season?

Adding Jones gives ISU a true post defender.

From what I saw, Jones will be the starter and he has the athleticism to play good defense and rebound. But, of course, whether he will do either is something we won't know until the season starts. Blake seems like a great guy and he will have a role to play, but I don't think he has the temperament to go down in the blocks and bang around. On the other hand, from what I saw at their workouts, Jones seemed to be quite a bit more aggressive than Novak was, so there is at least a chance we will be improved defensively in the post.

Also, Kyle's appeal has been denied and it appears that neither he nor the school is going to pursue it further. So, Truman and Jones will be the post players. Alonzo and Maker will play the 4 spot and we will probably see a lot of 3 guard sets.

Does anyone know when we’ll have a definitive answer on Legardy? Hit my fingers crossed on him. Have heard good things from several sources.

Latest posts

Back