• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Tail Gate plans for 2010

BengalSapper

I have attended a great deal of tail gates at ISU and we need some work. How are we the fans going to improve the pre-game party for the game. ISU foundation sets up a beer garden and some food but attendance is lacking. So we need to start thinking of ideas to make this year better.

1. I think we need to have a Bengal den at the game for all of us to get together talk football life whatever.
2. I am not a drinker but more power if you are. There is lots of money to be made and ISU needs to tap into it and sell beer it brings people out. Montana does it and I don’t see problem. So administration please inform the fans on why beer is not sold in the Dome.
3. FOOD FOOD FOOD. At the Weber game last year they had food venders and it was great. With some help from ISU maybe we can talk to some of the resturants and see if they would set up shop for the game.
4. I have herd it talked about and the fans with help from ISU need a new group for Bengal supporters. I am 29 and don’t exactly fit in the Bengal foundation, and there seems to be a lack of energy from them. There needs to be a fan group for the young professional to help with fundraising and organization.

What does everyone think? This is one part of ISU Football that is the fans responsibility and if it sucks it is our fault. We have 184 days.

P.S I am still on the cannon and it is looking good. I hope to have a cannon for ISU to use this season.

The beer thing is a state board of education deal...they would LOVE to sell it in Holt...beer...rodeo...cowboys....hello! You can only have it I believe in the Alumni House and Sports Med, hence why the tailgate is over there, but I don't think it can be sold, but I might be wrong about that.

And I can confirm Sapper is working on that cannon...and he has a guy on the inside to help him test that sucker out!

ISUSID

Sapper wrote:
"I am still on the cannon and it is looking good. I hope to have a cannon for ISU to use this season."

If we have a successful offense, I just hope you aim it away from anywhere you can do much structural damage! :lol: And, no, you don't need a projectile to do the deed - a nice pressure wave from a "blank" goes a long way!

I can't wait to hear people complain about noise and smoke. ;)

I have been looking cannons now for over a month. I have found several but the problem is that they are all to big. It looks like I am going to build one. If it is a black powder gun I can alter the charge to allow it to be shot in the Dome. I can also shoot it with a smokeless powder that will produce less smoke. I have several people that will donate time and money to this project. I have thought of some good things for marketing and getting people involved but I have to discuss it with the powers that be. I found this picture of a small field gun so I am thinking something like this but with a chrome barrel instead of brass.
3.jpg

I don’t think it is the LDS influence. University of Utah serves Beer at there games and they play in Salt Lake. The State Board of Education is located in Boise.

Sapper:

It's definitely the LDS influence. Salt Lake City has enough non-LDS folks down there to check the LDS Church. Trust me, there are plenty of Catholics and such in SLC.

Now outside of Salt Lake is another matter entirely :lol:

Unless there has been a change in the last several months, the University of Utah does not sell beer in the stadium.

In fact, a quick "Googling" finds that most who sell beer at their stadiums do so to raise concessions' revenue, not to attract fans. Speaking only for myself, I have never weighed going to a sporting event because beer may or may not be sold.

Overall, about three dozen of the roughly 120 largest NCAA Division 1 schools allow beer sales inside their stadiums, though many limit sales to luxury suites, lounges or club-seating areas. In other cases, beer is available stadium-wide because a facility is owned by the city, the state or a local sports authority, and that body, not the school, establishes the alcohol policy.

WSJ: Schools Look to Beer Sales to Increase Income

Please forgive me. I live in the Boise area. Can someone explain ISU's tailgating procedure to me? Somehow, I have the impression that it's not just a bunch of fans in RV's or fans with portable canopies barbecuing burgers in the parking lot but some sort of event that's more structured. Is that true or do I have it wrong? Just curious.

It is both. There is a Beer garden and Bengal foundation area that has some food and some odd things going on. A small group of RV's is usually in the parking lot but not much.

Sapper - Thanks for the clarification. So if I wanted to setup a barbecue and a handful of folding chairs and tables on the grass across the street from the dome, I could tailgate there? How about in the parking lot, do I have to have some kind of permit?

spazdog1, I'm not even sure of how the tailgating works (remember, I've never seen Bengalfest in 11 years), but Donna Hays can answer all the tailgating questions...she can be contacted at [email protected]. I'd answer but I really don't know.

ISUSID

Not to rain on your cannon parade, but have you taken this idea to the people who will ultimately make the call on using a cannon in the Dome. I believe there is a reason it has never been done before. If you have ever stood down field of the cannon's other teams use (all out doors), you know that it is almost painful. Imagine that inside the dome. In additon, the insulation falls from the ceiling with the noise of a monster truck, what will a cannon do. Better know what the decibles are when you fire the cannon, without those numbers I don't think you have a chance. The facility manager used to be Darrin Buffalo, I don't know if he is still there are not. He is the one that put a stop to concerts years ago because of all the drunk 14 year olds at a concert. His main concern is liability for the university. Someone in this capacity will make the call not the AD.

I can't imagine it will be any louder than the Monster Trucks that are in here...as long as it's not shooting off an actual cannonball (which I'm told it isn't) then Sapper is in charge of figuring out the powder ratio. Here's what I know...the head coach and players are excited that it might happen...fans I've talked to are excited it might happen. It's better than ringing the damn bell in my opinion.

ISUSID

It is not the players or coaches decision, nor is it yours. If you cannot document the decibles as being lower than 85 dec over an eight hour period, or that they are not high enough to have an acute effect on hearing every time the cannon fires inside of a domed building, you are making ISU responsible for any hearing problems that may be caused by the discharge of the cannon. It is more of a legal liability issue than a I just want to have fun issue. The Monster Trucks are a poor example; anyone coming to those is well aware of the noise the trucks make. In additon the hazard with the trucks will be cronic issue rather than acute. If you were around those trucks everyday over a long period you are going to experience hearing damage. A cannon will be just like having a blast right behind you. You will lose hearing temporarily with no idea of how much damage was caused until later. A truck might hit 110-115 decibels, a cannon at 12' is 225 decibels, reality, there is no comparison of the noise made between the two. As a facility manager myself, without proof you would not use a cannon in any of my buildings or facility. After thinking about it, I believe his name was Darrel Buffalo.

Um....party pooper....we are working on getting it all cleared...I never said it was my decision, nor Jeff's, nor Zamberlin's....just said I'm all for it.

ISUSID

I am a Engineering officer and explosive expert in the Army. What are you basing your decibel level off of? What kind of gun? What is the charge size? If you have tec manuals I would love to take a look at them. Fans and players will not be in front of the cannon when it is fired. I will verify decibel level before we shoot this in a game.

Negative Nancy happens to have been a registered safety professional and a OSHA trainer for several years. As I said, I believe the noise generated by a cannon was at least one of the reasons you have never seen one in the dome before. 225 is the decibel level for a standard cannon at 12 feet. I have no idea what it would be for the cannon you are looking at. 195 decibels will cause permanent damage not just may cause damage. Unless you are willing to take all the responsibility for what happens or potentially could happen I don't see it happening. To be honest I don't see it happening even then because any legation would include ISU. If you notice the fields that have cannons have them set up in an area where no one can get in front of them, they are also outside where the noise can go in all directions including up. The dome would just hold that much noise in.

Latest posts

Back