• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Tail Gate plans for 2010

why don't one of you post over on CS.com asking members on that site, that have domes, if they can shed any light on "cannons used in domes". just a thought.

I would still like to know what you are basing your facts off of.What kind of Cannon produces 225 decibels at 12'? What OSHA manual are you using? What is the decibel level at 25' 50' and 75'? Do I need to give you the equation? WHAT IS A STANDARD CANNON? I did not know that there was a standard cannon. The one that I have purchased for us to use at the games is a 2/3 scale 6 pound field gun and we can alter the charge so we can control the noise. I have contacted several black powder cannon experts from across the country and am confident that we will find the right charge to get the desired effect. I spoke with the facility manger of the Holt Arena and he had no problem with a cannon being used. I have located a decibel meter and will take readings of several test shots. I will make sure all safety issues are considered and safety protocols are taken. I have ran several explosive and weapons ranges in the Army and am well aware of how to manage risk I appreciate your negative input but I have it covered. :D NO FANS OR PLAYERS WILL BE WITHIN THE SAFETY RADIUS OF THE CANNON. NO FANS OR PLAYERS WILL BE WITHIN A 35 YARD AREA IN FRONT OF THE CANNON. I have already thought about this and have spoken with several people that run gun crews at games including the University of Utah and Utah State. Now be happy ISU has a cannon for 2010.

For information like a cannons decibels, why you google it. As to the rest, why did'nt you just say you had all the bases covered. I hope you are correct for ISU's benifit. If not, a mistake could bankrupt the university. Maybe we can get all the insulation of the ceiling finally.

"NO FANS OR PLAYERS WILL BE WITHIN THE SAFETY RADIUS OF THE CANNON. NO FANS OR PLAYERS WILL BE WITHIN A 35 YARD AREA IN FRONT OF THE CANNON."

Just where in the Dome are you planning on positioning, aiming, and blowing this thing off? Seriously - 35 yards?

Are you going to try and blow the ambulance up the ramp or put some POP into the popcorn served up in the Tiger Den? Put in a missile and take out the Jimmy John's blimp? Add a scope to it and hunt down Benny the Bengal?

Here's an idea: unless drastic improvements are made to Bengalfest, shooting it off in the middle of that "tailgate" would probably result in very few casualties!! :lol:

We've got a bell that just sat there this past season. The Army ROTC cadets used to ring it while pulling it around by ATV after a score. Why not try to get someone to do that again?

This is hilarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate all of the concern and input but really I got it. If you would like to be part of the cannon crew let me know. I have measured out how much distance I have from the muzzle of the cannon and will have about 30-35 yds. If we are on the end of the dome that ISU scores at we will wait to fire until the players have moved out and it is clear. If we are at the opposite end from the score we will have 90 yards or so do you understand know. I have already written safety procedures and noted all safety and risk considerations. This is not my first rodeo. We are NOT going to light the field on fire. I am not going to blow out peoples ears. Yes this is a cannon that looks big and bad but it is going to be like lighting a fire cracker in a pipe that puts off a little smoke a bang and flash. This is all for show. Would all of you quit being so negative! If you do not have fact's to back up your statements don't post them. If you would like to discuses this fully I would be glad [email protected] I thought that the members of the Bengal den would be fired up that I am trying to make an improvement at no cost to the university and help bring some excitement but I have heard nothing but bitching. I have spoken to several businesses that are willing to pay money to sponsor the cannon crew for a game. This means that if they commit we can also raise some money and get more people to come to the games. ISU is going to have a cannon this year be excited. I am trying to get ISU ROTC on board, but there are some issues that need to be worked out. And notabengalalum what are you going to do to help? How are you going to make bengalfest better? If Bengalfest sucks it is because the fans let it suck. If you are not going to help and put forth an effort than be quiet Nancy.

sapper as you are learning quickly if you dont agree with some of the posters on here they will rip on you and put you down. Keep up the good work and know that your efforts are appreciated.

You know what, Sapper? You don't know me or what I've tried to do or what I've done to support, become involved, and promote what I think is the best entertainment value in Eastern Idaho - Idaho State Athletics.
So, as far as you are concerned, blow that precious cannon out your ass and don't forget to wear ear plugs in case you forget to pull your head out of there first.
"This side toward enemy."

Sapper, keep up the good fight. I appreciate all that you are trying to do and will do. I am sure you have done your home work on this.
I did read where a kid or rotc cadet about got his leg blown off from a cannon at a football game. Don't know if it was a faulty cannon and blew pieces everywhere or too much powder or stupidity? You know safety is first and I am sure you have all your ducks in a row.
Some of these posters have genuine concerns and some are just plain negative and jealous and have that Pocatello pride of not wanting to change what's not working.
You my friend (Sapper), you got it figured out! I applaud your hard work and wanting change. If we could get this whole community to think like you we could have one hell of a sports program! I can't wait for the cannon!

Sapper, I appreciate your efforts and look forward to seeing and hearing this cannon deal come to life.

Yours truly set off a bottle rocket in the Dome during the 80's. My dad got his ass chewed and I got my ass kicked. They said that the insulation on the roof was very flammable. I also remember a time, although I did not see it--that a pole vaulting mat or a high jump mat caught on fire. I think it started from the casing of a track starters pistol or something. Anyhow, the mat throws out poisonous gasses as it burns--lots of it.

I never thought that I would ever see a cannon in Holt, but may I am excited to see it happen. Thanks for taking the time and effort to bring this to life.

Mr. Sapper,

I would like to send you a check for your cannon effort. Can you please send me an e-mail or PM so I can send a few bucks your way? I have heard that this cannon deal is picking up steam and I would like to help you out with your efforts.

Thanks for all that you do for Idaho State and the Den.

Sincerely,

Cub

bengalcub said:
Mr. Sapper,

I would like to send you a check for your cannon effort. Can you please send me an e-mail or PM so I can send a few bucks your way? I have heard that this cannon deal is picking up steam and I would like to help you out with your efforts.

Thanks for all that you do for Idaho State and the Den.

Sincerely,

Cub

Ditto. Sapper's spirit and willingness to put it into action is incredibly valuable to the progam.

Build a Winning team..then you will not have to worry about Beer Gardens ( I am for them) and fans coming to the games for they will!!!

Cannons....Not for me!!

I have been a season ticket holder for many many many years. The old days of the 80's when the dome was full was becasue of being competitive, and the product was solid. I do not see that now. Have not for a long time. We had a couple of good years, Not great years with Larry Lewis.

Until the "W"S start to come on a more consistant basis...Do all the gimmicks you wish too? they will not help bring in the fans...WINNING WILL.

I am a coach Z supporter. I have faith he can get it done. Sooner then later I hope!!!

I think cannons would be just fine; however, we need to discuss tailgating more. I witnessed better tailgating in 2009 than in previous years. I had the opportunity to invite family and friends to join in the tailgating festivities. A few of them didn't attend the game, but they showed up and really enjoyed the time. I was also able to get some people to come out to the tailgate party whom were unsure about going to the game and they went anyway. I guess that I am trying to sell the whole football experience. With tailgate parties and post-game parties, the game can be somewhat of an after thought. If the team wins, it's like frosting on the cake.

Sorry guys, one more thing. If everyone can think of 5 or 6 more people to invite to or start a tailgate party group with, imagine how much that would increase attendance. A common remark in our area about ISU football is "I don't have any interest in watching a losing football program." There is so much more to sell than the football game. Tailgating creates a big social event 5 or 6 times each fall. Football is just the excuse to have a big party in the community.

Latest posts

Back