• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Bids are Out...

mvem said:
PBP said:
Here's a little note which says something about the overall strength of the Big Sky in women's basketball.

Seven programs had winning records overall this past year, Montana St., Eastern Wash., Idaho, No. Dakota, Montana, Weber St., and Idaho State. That's out of 12 programs.

Five of the above won at least 20 games...Montana St., Eastern Wash., Idaho, Montana and Weber St.

Pretty good in my book.

PBP

If NoDak had beaten Weber in the WBI, the Big Sky would've had six 20-win teams. Still, the flat distribution/lack of any real good teams gave the league little hope of going anywhere in a major postseason tourney.

MVEN:

Even the best of Montana's teams rarely won anything in the NCAA's simply because Big Sky teams are usually seeded so low that they are always matched up against a Top 15 team nationally. The Big Sky simply doesn't have much of a chance of winning games in the NCAA's but they have done well in the WNIT.

My point being; this is a pretty damn good women's basketball league. This year for example they were ranked 19th in the RPI for all conferences out of 32. We're not talking the WAC here or the MEAC or SWAC by a long shot.

ISU alone in the past six years has beaten the following from bigger conferences, with bigger athletic budgets and usually with bigger and better athletes (on paper): Boise State (three times); Tennessee-Chattanooga (always ranked very high in the Southern Conference which is a good league); So. Florida (out of what was the Big East generally regarded at the time as the second or third best league in America); Utah State (five times); Utah (thanks to Ash Vella's monster game); Loyola Marymount and Houston.

That's not bad by anybody's standards for a Mid-Major program.

PBP

PBP said:
My point being; this is a pretty damn good women's basketball league. This year for example they were ranked 19th in the RPI for all conferences out of 32. We're not talking the WAC here or the MEAC or SWAC by a long shot.

My point was that being a good league overall doesn't necessarily translate to making noise in the NCAAs or whatever—it's more about being superb at the top. 9 of the 12 teams in the league had top-200 RPIs, but only one made the top-100 (NoDak). That guaranteed the Big Sky would get a worse seed than ranking 19th. out of 32nd. in the conference RPI would suggest.

The Big Sky women's basketball season is now officially over.

Louisiana-Lafayette beats Weber St. 87-85 in double overtime to win their second straight WBI Championship.

Weber State ends their season at 23-12.

PBP

With Weber State's season ending and the Big Sky now done for the year. Here is how all the teams in the league have done over the past six years:

ISU’s overall record is 105-82 the past six seasons. That’s a .561 winning percentage. Here is the other team records in that same time span in order of win percentage.

Montana 125-70 195 games played .641
E. Washington 105-74 179 games played .586
Montana St. 104-78 182 games played .571
Idaho St. 105-82 187 games played .561
No. Colorado 107-84 191 games played .560
No. Dakota 105-84 189 games played .555
Idaho 107-86 193 games played .554
Sacramento St. 86-100 186 games played .462
So. Utah 77-103 180 games played .427
Portland St. 63-115 178 games played .353
No. Arizona 56-120 176 games played .318
Weber St. 50-129 179 games played .279

As far as HOME games here is how the league stacks up over the past seven years:

ISU’s home record is 71-22 the past seven years. That’s a .763 winning percentage. Here are the other teams home records in that time span in order of win percentage.

Montana 90-22 112 home games .803
Idaho St. 71-22 93 home games .763
E. Washington 74-27 101 home games .732
No. Dakota 73-27 100 home games .730
No. Colorado 70-28 98 home games .714
Montana St. 66-30 96 home games .687
Idaho 51-27 78 home games .653
Sacramento St. 60-37 97 home games .618
So. Utah 56-40 96 home games .583
Portland St. 52-52 104 home games .500
No. Arizona 44-54 98 home games .448
Weber St. 35-62 97 home games .360

PBP

PBP said:
The Big Sky women's basketball season is now officially over.

Louisiana-Lafayette beats Weber St. 87-85 in double overtime to win their second straight WBI Championship.

Weber State ends their season at 23-12.

PBP

Almost… :ohno:

Weber shot 56% and lost, and they were above 60% for much of it.

mvem said:
PBP said:
No. Arizona 56-120 176 games played .318
No. Arizona 44-54 98 home games .448

PBP

Sue Darling has to be on a rather serious hot seat next year.

Well to be fair she hasn't been the head coach for that entire time period plus she took NAU to the Big Sky postseason tournament two years ago before every team was allowed to go and that hadn't happened for awhile in Flagstaff.

Honestly I'd be very surprised if she was in any kind of trouble next year...two years from now? Maybe.

PBP

PBP said:
Well to be fair she hasn't been the head coach for that entire time period plus she took NAU to the Big Sky postseason tournament two years ago before every team was allowed to go and that hadn't happened for awhile in Flagstaff.

Honestly I'd be very surprised if she was in any kind of trouble next year...two years from now? Maybe.

PBP

She's been there 4 years and next season is the contract year. They shouldn't have gone 6-24 with the talent they have, and I figure they'll need to be noticeably improved for her to keep her job. If I was NAU's administration, I'd be concerned with not wanting to waste Alyssa Rader's talent the way Amy Patton's talent was wasted under Darling & Kelly.

They had practically no front line outside of Rader since Banks and Anderson left (I assume they both graduated) and their top guard Lusain was suspended for all BSC games because of something that she did. (And I applaud Darling for doing that)

Just my opinion but the only real talent she had outside of Rader was Paplow (who was a freshman), Coggins and Leyva. That's not a whole lot to me.

Regarding Patton, let's just say that based on what I was told over the years, the biggest reason her talent was "wasted" was because of Patton herself. And I know for a fact, personally know, that Amy wasn't the best teammate in the world...I mean when you are texting your play calls to your friends on opposing teams so they know what's coming, what does that tell you?

PBP

PBP said:
They had practically no front line outside of Rader since Banks and Anderson left (I assume they both graduated) and their top guard Lusain was suspended for all BSC games because of something that she did. (And I applaud Darling for doing that)

Just my opinion but the only real talent she had outside of Rader was Paplow (who was a freshman), Coggins and Leyva. That's not a whole lot to me.

Regarding Patton, let's just say that based on what I was told over the years, the biggest reason her talent was "wasted" was because of Patton herself. And I know for a fact, personally know, that Amy wasn't the best teammate in the world...I mean when you are texting your play calls to your friends on opposing teams so they know what's coming, what does that tell you?

PBP

OK, those might be mitigating things, but Darling is still 36-82 after four years. What does NAU lose by firing her & going with someone new? It hasn't been a complete tear-down rebuild like what Ord's had to do at Weber.

Since we're talking coaches, whoopdirt says Jaime White is one of the two finalists for the Colorado job. Since she coached at Northern Colorado before taking the Fresno State job, she might have an edge if she's familiar with the recruiting footprint. So if she gets the CU job, I wonder if Mandi Carver follows her to Colorado. It can't be too far away that Mandi's name starts getting thrown around for open head coaching jobs

That would be interesting since ISU plays at Colorado next season, one of the three money games.

PBP

Latest posts

Back