• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Evolution Continues

Skippy

The evolution of the ISU men's basketball team continues tomorrow afternoon in Denver, where the Bengals take on DU, beginning at 4 p.m. The Pioneers are 3-1, with wins over Santa Clara and Lipscomb in a tournament in Santa Clara, a loss to Milwaukee in the same tourney, and a homecourt victory over Utah Valley (who will be ISU's next home game, Dec. 12).

Coached by former Princeton and Air Force head coach Joe Scott, Denver has won 78 percent of its home games under his direction. The Pioneers are a very young team -- they start three true freshmen and have 9 on the team total (including walk-ons). They finished 12-18 last year, but included in those wins was a 54-36 victory over Idaho State, when the Bengals were held to 9 points in the second half.

Scott, who played and coached under Princeton legends Pete Carril and Bill Carmody, took Denver to 22-9 and 22-10 seasons between 2011 and 2013. He also coached Air Force to its only Mountain West championship ever and a 22-7 season in 03-04. Denver is a deep team (they have 11 players who average 7.5 minutes a game or more), they shoot the 3 well (41 percent) and defend it equally well (32 percent). They are holding their opponents to just under 59 points a game.

Like most collegiate teams these days, Denver plays a three-guard offense, and their best scorer, guard Nate Engesser, comes off the bench to average 14 points a game. He's started off the season red-hot from beyond the arc, making a ridiculous 62 percent of his 21 trey attempts so far. Freshman C.J. Bobbitt, 6-7 out of Texas, is their leading rebounder and their biggest player is Daniel Amigo, a 6-10 sophomore from El Paso who was offered a scholarship by the Bengals at one time.

Idaho State, meanwhile, comes off an 85-67 loss to Wazzu in Pullman last week in which the Bengals shot poorly (34 percent), and were outrebounded by 14. The Bengals continue to struggle on the boards, where they are being outrebounded by 8 a game. ISU is grabbing only 55 percent of available defensive rebounds, which means opponents are getting a second chance almost 1 of every 2 times they miss a shot. That percentage is going to have to improve significantly if ISU is going to become consistently competitive.

The Bengals' best rebounders are 5-9 Ethan Telfair, the smallest player on the floor most nights, at 4.7 a game, and 6-5 Ben Wilson, who has averaged 6 boards in the two contests he's appeared in. 7-0 footer Novak Topalovic is averaging a commendable 4 offensive rebounds a contest -- but less than 2 defensive boards. Staying on the floor continues to be an issue for Novak and backup center Kyle Ingram. Topalovic is averaging almost four fouls a game in just 15 minutes a contest; Ingram has picked up 3 fouls a contest in 16 minutes per game.

It's still v-e-r-y early in the season, but Telfair is making a big statement about his importance to this ISU team. He leads the team in assists (13) and steals (9), is second in scoring at 17.3, and third in rebounding (4.7).

The mercurial Ali Faruq-Bey continues to lead ISU in scoring at 18.7 ppg off the bench, but he is the definition of inconsistent. Against Wazzu, he had another outstanding first half, then cooled off considerably in the second to finish with 19 points on 6 of 17 shooting. Geno Luzcando continues to show growth in his game, putting up 14 points against the Cougars, although he has to bring more to the boards (1 rebound against Wazzu). Luzcando is averaging 12 points and 4 rebounds a contest on the season, and he's 5 of 9 from three.

Justin Smith got into early foul trouble against Wazzu, picking up 3 in just 11 minutes, and Clint Nwosuh continued to struggle from the field, hitting just 1 of 6, including 0 for 3 from distance. Both those guys are going to have to step it up if the Bengals are going to compete against a Denver team that will play at least 10 players significant minutes tomorrow night.

If the Bengals can get out of Denver with a win, they'll get to enjoy Thanksgiving on the road and then stop in Salt Lake City for a contest at nationally-ranked Utah Friday night in the Huntsman Center. And the evolution continues...

If they dont rebound better, and give certain players a bit more time, they will struggle to win these next two games (or the rest of the games for that matter). This old school BS of giving players who are "older" a better chance then other players who are clearly better and more beneficial is downright DUMB and ignorant to change.(No they are not more "ready" to play, "clearly") Thats the thought behind a older player right?If a player cannot perform, cannot shoot or score even if he is right under the basket gets more minutes then ones that can, then We have an issue with some of these rotations. I expect players who are clearly not performing as ones you mentioned to be given less minutes, sometimes that lights a fire under their butts and gets them to play harder. If it does not, their just not fit for d1 basketball.

Rebounding, rotations, consistency. And they can muster up some wins. Smart shots, finishing, and free throws . My goodness do they need bigs. If they had rebounded better against wsu. would have been a close game.

cscsbballcoach said:
If they dont rebound better, and give certain players a bit more time, they will struggle to win these next two games (or the rest of the games for that matter). This old school BS of giving players who are "older" a better chance then other players who are clearly better and more beneficial is downright DUMB and ignorant to change.(No they are not more "ready" to play, "clearly") Thats the thought behind a older player right?If a player cannot perform, cannot shoot or score even if he is right under the basket gets more minutes then ones that can, then We have an issue with some of these rotations. I expect players who are clearly not performing as ones you mentioned to be given less minutes, sometimes that lights a fire under their butts and gets them to play harder. If it does not, their just not fit for d1 basketball.

Rebounding, rotations, consistency. And they can muster up some wins. Smart shots, finishing, and free throws . My goodness do they need bigs. If they had rebounded better against wsu. would have been a close game.
I'll plead with you, coach, not to wage your personal campaign for playing time on this board. You certainly have the right to if you'd like, but I can tell you no good will come of it. We all saw what became of the Ian Fox fiasco last year, and this looks like it's headed down the same path. If you are personally connected to a player, I would urge that you let that player work out his differences with the coaching staff directly. I'm quite certain you can generate a lively debate on this board about who should and shouldn't play, but in the end that's not going to do you or your favorite player one bit of good.

Again, you have every right to voice your opinion, but I don't think creating this debate here is going to achieve what you hope. Just my opinion.

I'm not even sure what cscsbballcoach is even talking about. I'm pretty dang impartial to any of these players, and all I've seen is the guys who seem to need to be in there, are in there. The only one I may like to see more Gary Chivichyan. But that's just because he surprised me with ONE hot streak of 3 pointers. But for a new guy still trying to find his spot on defensive transition, he's playing some.
We're three games into this thing... chill bballcoach. What needs to happen will happen. :-)

My points more based off of moving rotations around when players are not performing. These kids are way to young for me too sit here and name them, but if we are following these games and stats, we can clearly see who's performing up to par and who's not, who's inconsistent and who just can't hit a shot.

I think the ball needs to move more on half court offensive possessions, to often is it stagnant and kids playing one on one, too often is it in one persons hand and I've noticed some bad shots taken.

I'm merely just rumbling. But programs always adjust.

I've said it before, the weakness on this team is rebounding and the lack of a true BIG.

I am very excited to see GC mature as a player. He has an outside stroke that is a rarity at Idaho State. I hope the kid makes smart decisions and doesn't let what other folks say to him influence his attitude or effort on the floor.

I watched the whole Wazzu game and I saw some positive things. The team is quicker this year and seems to be better guarding the perimeter. They have issues inside and I think they will all year.

Rebounding will be a challenge and we all know that. As coach Evan's has stated--if you want a rebounder you recruit a rebounder. He didn't intend to be this small it turned out that way because some kids that gave verbals ended up not coming.

I was critical of the Topalovic signing but I see a kid that could cause some problems for opponents down the road. He has good hands and is fast for a big man. He also has a nice little hook and hits FT's.

Lennox with some muscle could end up being very solid.

Brandon Boyd and GC look like excellent gets.

Ali is just a SO.

This team is dreadfully and I mean dreadfully young. I think this could be a season of seeing spurts of excitement for the future. However, I think we will see comparable runs of frustrations with a team that is very young and still missing a few key pieces.

I think this team can shoot from deep and I feel like they should drive and kick as much as possible. They have athleticism to get to the rim and they can hit FT's when fouled. Penetration will only help the outside bombers.

I am more optimistic today then I was a few short months ago.

Ramblings and thoughts at random because I am lazy today.

My god... How do they expect these kids to perform when they sub them in for a 30 seconds and sub them out right away??? Hahahaha. You might as well red shirt the freshman if that's the way their going to handle them. That is pathetic. If Chivichyan is a shooter/scorer you need to leave him on the court so he can do just that, actually get a shot or two off. In comes Boyd hits a free throw and out goes Boyd. Mind boggling.

please list: years of experience, positions held, current position, education & where received, coaching record, etc.

just for comparison purposes of course.

Quite frankly I don't want to be negative or pessimistic , it is not my intention. But it does upset you (Isu fan) to lose games against teams that they should win against. They should have beaten Denver, they had more talent in my eyes.

I know it's a process though, so we need to be optimistic on their improvement and any changes.

cscsbballcoach said:
Quite frankly I don't want to be negative or pessimistic , it is not my intention. But it does upset you (Isu fan) to lose games against teams that they should win against. They should have beaten Denver, they had more talent in my eyes.

I know it's a process though, so we need to be optimistic on their improvement and any changes.
Just FYI Denvet was a 12.5 point favorite.

As a Bengal Fan, I can only say that after last season's Snooze-Fest, I am really pleased with the young men who have been brought into this year's team. I love the athleticism and the hustle. More people are playing more minutes and that's a plus factor. I'm damn glad they're here. I'm tuning in with new hope and looking forward to the Big Sky season.

Oh I know what the spread was... Doesent matter. I still think Isu has more talent then that team. I think if they were to play again. Isu would win it.

I agree that we could beat Denver. But I'm happy with the progress. We didn't shoot as well as we have shown that we can, but we only got out rebounded by ONE! That's improvement in that stat. They are coming together. We are playing like the young team that we are, we just need a few more games to come fully together as a team.

Go Bengals!

Latest posts

Back