• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The First FCS School to Offer Cost of Attendance

SLCBengal

...is Liberty University.

Liberty University reportedly will become the first FCS program to provide "cost of attendance" dollars to their student-athletes. FootballScoop.com said the Big South Conference university, located in Lynchburg, Virginia, has begun to inform them the decision will be implemented this year.

The cost of attendance dollars are becoming an attractive recruiting tool, especially for a program like Liberty, which would be an exception on the FCS level because most schools are not expected to provide the incentive, at least not initially.

Read more: SportsNetwork.com: Liberty Scholarships Get More Attractive

SLCBengal said:
...is Liberty University.

Liberty University reportedly will become the first FCS program to provide "cost of attendance" dollars to their student-athletes. FootballScoop.com said the Big South Conference university, located in Lynchburg, Virginia, has begun to inform them the decision will be implemented this year.

The cost of attendance dollars are becoming an attractive recruiting tool, especially for a program like Liberty, which would be an exception on the FCS level because most schools are not expected to provide the incentive, at least not initially.

Read more: SportsNetwork.com: Liberty Scholarships Get More Attractive
North Dakota State is also contemplating it:

http://kfgo.com/blogs/so-many-opinions-so-little-time/953/ndsu-will-look-at-paying-stipends-to-athletes-under-new-ncaa-rule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm interested to see how this affects the BSC; Idaho, presumably, will offer full cost of attendance or FAIL miserably in FBS. I really don't don't see how they could continue in FBS without it.

I would assume Idaho would also offer full cost to basketball players. But, how would this affect the BSC? The money may not sound like much, $3-4K per year, $15-20 over the full scholarship. All else being equal, I would take the "JOB" that pays more. Many kids would probably agree; to a kid with little it may make all the difference.

And, now, the North Dakota Sued are in with 18 hockey COAs and, of course, 18 Title Niners as well. They do compete nationally with the big boys on Ice. No high road here.

biobengal said:
I'm interested to see how this affects the BSC; Idaho, presumably, will offer full cost of attendance or FAIL miserably in FBS. I really don't don't see how they could continue in FBS without it.

I would assume Idaho would also offer full cost to basketball players. But, how would this affect the BSC? The money may not sound like much, $3-4K per year, $15-20 over the full scholarship. All else being equal, I would take the "JOB" that pays more. Many kids would probably agree; to a kid with little it may make all the difference.

That's a great question. Hadn't thought about that one. I'll see if I can ask somebody.

PBP

I just don't see Idaho being able to do it. Otis alluded to Title IX. Idaho would have still have to offer matching amounts to female athletes. I suppose they could pick up another money game for a cool million, but I think it's easier said than done. Never say never, that's for sure. Montana is in a better spot than Idaho, and they said they aren't doing it either.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/um-not-close-to-offering-athletes-ncaa-s-full-cost/article_7fd0306d-2498-5bba-b675-7dda3d097515.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24966011/cost-of-attendance-reaches-ncaa-finish-line-and-new-complexities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt that Idaho would have the money to offer this as well. If they did then it would add about $3600 per scholarship, or $768,000 for their entire athletic department. And they're really strapped for money as it is. BSU has stated that they intend to offer full cost of attendance scholarships in order to remain competitive, and this will add another $1.2 million to their department budget.

boisebengal said:
I doubt that Idaho would have the money to offer this as well. If they did then it would add about $3600 per scholarship, or $768,000 for their entire athletic department. And they're really strapped for money as it is. BSU has stated that they intend to offer full cost of attendance scholarships in order to remain competitive, and this will add another $1.2 million to their department budget.

$768,000 is one "body bag" football game a year. If I'm the Vandals and I'm serious about remaining a D-1 football program, I don't think there's any choice but to do it. And if it gives your basketball programs a recruiting advantage over the rest of the Big Sky, why wouldn't you do it?

Skippy, Idaho has six home games and six away this year. And they already play USC and Auburn away and Ohio and Wofford at home. Wofford's a pretty decent 1-AA team. They could very well play five at home and seven away, which would make room for another body-bag game. But after this kind of schedule then would it be fair to the kids to ask them to play another good Big Five team? If you have a guarantee for about a million dollars, which Idaho can get for some of these body-bag games, then a fair amount of that money needs to go traveling expenses to that particular location anyway. In a couple years the Sun Belt may decide to kick out Idaho in order to make room for other teams, and they wouldn't have anywhere to go except for the Big Sky, unless they drop their program. PBP is convinced that Idaho's planning to drop back down to the Big Sky soon, but we'll see what happens.

Boise:

I only know what I've been told... that members of the Big Sky "front office" are expecting to have Idaho re join in football in three years or so. We'll see what happens, the landscape can change dramatically in three years time. But it's clear as day the Big Sky is where they belong. They are atrocious on the field and are having schools that no one cares about come in for their home games. I don't know what they claim attendance is but I've seen them on TV and the Kibbie Dome is lifeless and empty. I've seen more life in a morgue. LOL.

I had also heard that their A.D. (I think his name is Rob Ash) wanted to re join the Big Sky immediately when all this was coming down but was over ruled by the school president. He's the guy remember who publicly said that Idaho would never go back to the lower level as long as he is in charge.

How long he intends to remain in place, I don't know but that could be the single determining factor in all this.

PBP

boisebengal said:
Skippy, Idaho has six home games and six away this year. And they already play USC and Auburn away and Ohio and Wofford at home. Wofford's a pretty decent 1-AA team. They could very well play five at home and seven away, which would make room for another body-bag game. But after this kind of schedule then would it be fair to the kids to ask them to play another good Big Five team? If you have a guarantee for about a million dollars, which Idaho can get for some of these body-bag games, then a fair amount of that money needs to go traveling expenses to that particular location anyway. In a couple years the Sun Belt may decide to kick out Idaho in order to make room for other teams, and they wouldn't have anywhere to go except for the Big Sky, unless they drop their program. PBP is convinced that Idaho's planning to drop back down to the Big Sky soon, but we'll see what happens.

Idaho played only 5 home games last year and took in $3.1 million in game guarantees. This year, they'll get only $1.7 million in guarantees -- that's the trade-off for having a balanced schedule (6 at home, 6 on the road). But that $1.4 million difference would more than pay for COA for all sports. So if Idaho is determined to remain BCS in football, it's probably a commitment they're going to have to make in the future.

Playing only five home games and two or three money games a year certainly won't be any picnic for the Vandals, but it's something Idaho State has gotten used to in recent years -- and for less money.

PBP: Idahos President may be the immoveable object, but reality is the irresistible force. If You recall, Appalachian States coach said' no way' to moving up, which got him fired. Events have a way of altering the unalterable. Spear will return Idaho to the FCS and their Prez will be gone.

Idaho's not the only FBS school that's not offering anything for COA scholarships for the 2015-16 year. Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, Nevada, NMSU, Old Dominion, Texas State, UTSA, and Western Kentucky all won't offer any COA funding for this coming year. Although I've heard that Nevada will start offering them next season. I think that the FCOA concept is a pretty good idea, when you consider the value that these college athletes provide to their university -- especially the football players. Some schools are finding creative ways to try to provide this additional money. For example, BSU will spend an additional $1.2 million on FCOA scholarships, which is one of the most generous figures in the country, and they'll be able to do this by renaming their football stadium to Albertson Stadium. Also, Colorado State will spend an additional $650,000 in FCOA scholarships this year, and they will be able to get these additional revenues from when Florida bought out Jim McElwain's FB coaching contract. These FBS schools that aren't offering any COA money should really look into finding ways to provide this, or else they can expect to recruit FCS type of athletes.

Latest posts

Back