• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The first public shot: restructuring the NCAA

Skippy

Well, finally someone in authority confirmed what a lot of folks have been speculating about for awhile: the NCAA as currently structured is untenable and big changes are necessary. Certainly, this evolution will take awhile, but the Big 12 commissioner probably spoke for a lot of the "big five" schools when he made it clear: they are tired of generating all the revenue and not being able to self-govern. It will be interesting to see how Bowlsby's comments are received from here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130722/big-12-bob-bowlsby-ncaa/?sct=hp_t13_a6&eref=sihp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One particularly interesting quote from the story: "(Bowlsby) went after the programs that have jumped to Division I thinking the move will automatically raise the profile of their entire universities, soaking taxpayers and bilking students with high athletics fees in the process. Many of these schools have found the going in Division I quite difficult, and their interests are squarely at odds with the interests of the schools that have had successful athletic programs for decades. 'I think we've permitted or even sometimes encouraged institutional social climbing by virtue of their athletics programs,' Bowlsby said. 'And I think the fact is we've made it too easy to get into Division I and too easy to stay there.' "

Skippy:

The 'superconferences' are coming to be sure. Here's another take on the issue:

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/07/23/we-are-much-closer-to-a-super-division-than-we-thought/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PBP

Apparently ESPN's "Outside the Lines" has jumped in this NCAA situation now. Some pretty good stories now on the website. This one has some amazing admissions:

Former staffers told "Outside the Lines" of multiple examples of questionable practices, including:

• Targeting specific head coaches and programs presumed as being "dirty," particularly within a separate in-house group investigating basketball.

• Enforcement and NCAA staff sharing and reviewing information about student-athlete academic transcripts at various times with the media, a violation of federal privacy laws.

Here's the link to the story: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9500489/a-year-removed-penn-state-decision-ncaa-president-mark-emmert-finds-amid-another-defining-moment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is another one on the charges of favoritism: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9496870/ncaa-crushed-penn-state-sandusky-matter-had-ignored-division-iii-case-concordia-year-prior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That story will make you physically ill.

---------------------------------------------------------

Just an observation, take it for what it’s worth.

I’m struck by the parallels between the entire NCAA situation and what MLB went through in the 1970’s vis a vis the reserve clause.

Basically MLB had a chance to modify and correct something that they had to know was wrong in the treatment of the players while they still had control of the situation. But because of arrogance, pride, inconsistency, favoritism and outright stupidity on the part of the owners they refused to do anything.

The court decided in the players favor and the rest is history.

Now the NCAA has the chance for a major reorganization… to be fairer to their members, to the players who put them in a position to earn billions from the TV networks and to create a better environment and working relationship in a number of areas from enforcement to the media to all points in between.

I strongly suspect that like the MLB owners, arrogance, pride, inconsistency, favoritism and outright stupidity is going to condemn them to the same fate.

PBP

PBP said:
Skippy:

The 'superconferences' are coming to be sure. Here's another take on the issue:

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/07/23/we-are-much-closer-to-a-super-division-than-we-thought/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PBP
Interesting article... more interesting were comments from Mark Liptak, who used to do some work for the department. Could there be another Liptak? I doubt it. Anyway, this former meddler and commenter on small time ball had this to say:

Let's put it this way, I'd rather watch a tournament in March with the biggest and best teams as opposed to the Southern Utah's, Illinois State's or Richmond's of the world and I suspect most fans feel the same way.

The 'superconferences' could put on a hell of a tournament and keep ALL the money for themselves.

It's coming John and the NCAA will become as meaningful and as important as the NIT.

You know, I kind of hope they do break away, one less reason to watch the hypocrisy that big time college athletics have become.

Latest posts

Back