• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The PAC/MWC Dominoes Begin to Fall

This is great news. I'm guilty of this, but it will be nice when Sacramento residents/media stops saying, we can't do it because we're just lil ol Sacramento.

I understand being a realist, but the reality is Sacramento is the 20th largest tv market. That's what matters in sports. TV deals. If you have that, you're already in the ball game. Next is just having a leader to go out and execute.

Act the part and the invite will come. Shoot for Pac 12 and make MWC feel like they're missing out if they don't jump in right away.

This is great news. I'm guilty of this, but it will be nice when Sacramento residents/media stops saying, we can't do it because we're just lil ol Sacramento.

I understand being a realist, but the reality is Sacramento is the 20th largest tv market. That's what matters in sports. TV deals. If you have that, you're already in the ball game. Next is just having a leader to go out and execute.

Act the part and the invite will come. Shoot for Pac 12 and make MWC feel like they're missing out if they don't jump in right away.
Joser State is in a bigger media market and well, look at them.

What has changed in recent years - winning. Sacramento State is now an attractive option for local talent. We are regularly pulling in Folsom High kids, which we know is a powerhouse. Winning changes a lot of attitudes. I think the opportunity is pretty ripe for us to move up to the MW (Pac 12 is a real stretch). But Sacramento kids are now playing at Sac State. That's a large pool we now attract.

Our facilities are what concerns me. The football stadium has nice amenities for players, but not really for fans. And we don't talk about our basketball facilities. We all know that situation.

Sacramento has been successful in getting G1C, luring MLS, getting the A's. This proves there is sufficient will to bring sports to the area. Political leaders seem to be in on this. The time is now. The question (as always)... who pays for it??

What has changed in recent years - winning. Sacramento State is now an attractive option for local talent. We are regularly pulling in Folsom High kids, which we know is a powerhouse. Winning changes a lot of attitudes. I think the opportunity is pretty ripe for us to move up to the MW (Pac 12 is a real stretch). But Sacramento kids are now playing at Sac State. That's a large pool we now attract.

Our facilities are what concerns me. The football stadium has nice amenities for players, but not really for fans. And we don't talk about our basketball facilities. We all know that situation.

Sacramento has been successful in getting G1C, luring MLS, getting the A's. This proves there is sufficient will to bring sports to the area. Political leaders seem to be in on this. The time is now. The question (as always)... who pays for it??
Good post. Bonding against future revenues from the pending fee increase. The students were always going to foot the bill for the facilities. If some private monies come in, great, but the large majority of the financial backing was always going to be borne by the students.

The Sac 12....wouldn't be making a national push for this if they didn't have the facilities situation figured out. I mean, the associated press is reporting on it. Ashby using all her influence. Look for a Sac Republic/Sac State partnership on a football stadium on campus. Sac State has leverage on location. Sorry Railyards.

Orr and Wood are not talking because we're in a conference already. Don't want to embarrass Big Sky by being eager to leave and want Pac 12 to know you can keep your mouth shut and won't embarrass them in the future.

As a matter of fact, Orr and Wood were very vocal about seizing opportunities last year and all of a sudden became suspiciously quiet. Made me question them. But given the recent events and Wood pushing through new student fees, it all makes sense.

I don't know how far down the road this is, but I have a feeling Sac State thinks they're getting into MWC at least with a chance to get Pac 12's attention if everything breaks right.

PAC 12 would be an economic windfall.

The Sac 12....wouldn't be making a national push for this if they didn't have the facilities situation figured out. I mean, the associated press is reporting on it. Ashby using all her influence. Look for a Sac Republic/Sac State partnership on a football stadium on campus. Sac State has leverage on location. Sorry Railyards.

Orr and Wood are not talking because we're in a conference already. Don't want to embarrass Big Sky by being eager to leave and want Pac 12 to know you can keep your mouth shut and won't embarrass them in the future.

As a matter of fact, Orr and Wood were very vocal about seizing opportunities last year and all of a sudden became suspiciously quiet. Made me question them. But given the recent events and Wood pushing through new student fees, it all makes sense.

I don't know how far down the road this is, but I have a feeling Sac State thinks they're getting into MWC at least with a chance to get Pac 12's attention if everything breaks right.

PAC 12 would be an economic windfall.

Rat, thanks for posting. To clarify, the context of this statement in the article was made with respect to a potential move to the Pac. I don't think any sane person thinks we have a shot at Pac membership. Additionally, it should surprise no one that folks with ties to Big Sky officials don't want their members to be poached and it reads like damage control to me.

Anyone thinking that Sac State will pay the $5M reclassification fee doesn't understand how realignment works. The MW just came into over $100M due to the exit fees/penalties from the 4 defectors. The MW won't hesitate to pick up the tab for any of the incoming FCS members if that's what it takes to remain an FBS conference.

Regarding facilities, the availability to use Golden1 should alleviate concerns over the lack of an event center. We'll always have that in our back pocket. The bigger concern is with Hornet Stadium, but even that could be addressed if a full tear down and rebuild is not in the cards. Remember, for the MW this is all about survival. If dealing with a substandard football facility in a top market is what it takes to remain a viable conference, that is what will happen.
The Hawaii Rainbows had to move to a small for FBS standards stadium. They are still trying to figure out how they can get a new stadium. (Years of talks).

The administration since the PAC began to crumble knew that somehow / someway that west coast CFB would create some opportunities for movement in a trickle down effect.

The change in our basketball venue was a pre emptive move to suffice that sports glaring issue.
This was a stop gap for BB.

The primary focus is the football stadium, the fee increases, bonds, and potential other revenue streams are major factors to get lined up.

A perfect example would be. City of Sac should tell Soccer to agree to long term lease w Sac State for games. Competing with Cal Expo for summer concert events would be another pipeline of funding that could make this happen!

The city council needs to be in synch w our university to make it happen.

WHY - Because a private soccer team could always move to another city in the future..,
SAC STATE will never relocate! It’s a permanent investment that will support the city in image as well as tax revenues from FBS level visitors.

If Soccer agrees, and city agrees some assistance, student fees get approved, then we would be a great Fit for MWC.

Unless we built a premier 40-50,000 seat stadium for football. Then I doubt PAC will be ready to invest into SAC ST. If the SAC12 thinks the $$ works out with those factors maybe we can make a magical move with Two ACES.

MWC would be a great conference for us to grow into! But if they can get a big time stadium then PAC12 will have interest in #20 TV Market!

Here’s to hoping both the MWC and PAC (whatever # they’re going to be called), say we’re not allowed to join the conference with a track around our football field and force the change for us 😅 (I know UNR still has this). Hearing the administration utter the words facilities update being ‘imminent’ still gets me excited every time.

Has anyone reached out to Tom Hanks to gauge his interest in Hornet Football?

I love how the track surface that cost more than the football turf is a HS track. These same people want to launch personal attacks on our most well known alum.

It’s people like you who are the reason why this WONT happen.

The State Hornet X feed just reported the following:

The Intercollegiate Athletics fee increase was approved. Set at $181, the fee will rise to $256, a $75 increase over the next three academic years. Athletics will provide alumni one free ticket to all home sporting events for three years after graduation starting fall 2025.

@sacstate anticipates the fee will generate approximately $4 million for facility maintenance and improvements, including but not limited to a new multi-use stadium for several sports. Football, soccer and ruby are named in the SFAC memo.

Latest posts

Back