• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

The Statistical Profile of an 0-6 Team

Skippy

The nightmare 0-6 road trip is over for the men's team and the statistical documentation is appropriately ugly. Here are the numbers that stand out to me:
--ISU's defense has been horrible and the numbers back that up. ISU is giving up 83 ppg, and opponents are shooting 56 percent from two point range. The Bengals have no rim protection -- registering just 7 blocks in 6 games, while opponents have 24. 7-footer Novak Topolavic has yet to record his first block. The Bengals really miss red shirting Kyle Ingram in the post.
--They also miss him on the glass, where ISU is getting outrebounded by a painful 9 boards a game. Topolavic started out as a rebounding machine, but his productivity has come crashing back to the mean of late.
--Idaho State, one of the best free throw shooting teams in the league last year, is getting outscored by 3.5 ppg at the line this year, largely because the Bengals are shooting a woeful 58 percent. Ethan Telfair, who has been suspended for the last 3 games, has made just 11 of 22 FTs in the three games he did play. Geno Luzcando has made just 59 percent of his FTs and Novak is 9 of 19.
--Idaho State's guard line was supposed to be a strength this year, but the Bengal back line has contributed to an awful 60-107 assist to TO margin. Freshman Brandon Boyd, who has started in ET's place at PG, has just 6 assists to 16 TOS. Luzcando, who has an 11-TO game this year, has just 6 assists vs 29 TOS. Those, my friends, are some really bad numbers.
--Put it all together --bad defense, poor rebounding, too many TOS and bad foul shooting, and you have the blueprint for an 0-6 team. Can things get better? Of course. I think there is plenty of talent on this team and Bill Evans has a history of producing teams that play good defense and don't turn the ball over. But the makeup and chemistry on this team is going to challenge him mightily. ISU finally gets a home game against a good Lamar team on Tuesday. They will have had a few days to look at film, practice and, hopefully, get ET back. Here's hoping for big improvement--and most importantly, a win.

Had the pleasure of seeing the team in Lubbock. I think this team will limp through the preseason and be a solid Big Sky team.

I hope the team doesn't fracture and I hope that ET understand that his teammates do indeed care about winning. Time will tell.

However, I see a slew of kids that can stroke it and a young pup at center that may cause big problems for league teams. It is rare that Big Sky teams have good centers. I have watched Novak back some very talented kids down and show some nifty, nifty moves in the paint.

Boyd is playing very well considering his youth and experience. I am concerned about the assist as you are. But, he goes hard to the rim and he did it well the whole tournament. Sometimes he gets too deep and often he gets his transition lay-ups blocked. But that is normal for the youngins. Geno struggled to finish early in his career and now look.

Luzcando had a tough tournament. He is too strong and too talented to stay down for long.

The X factors in my opinion, are Robert Jones and Lennox. When I see Lennox I see a kid that could dominate at the Big Sky level. He is quick for his size, he can handle the ball and he can shoot. But he is being way too passive.

This team may fade, but after seeing them in person (I never miss a game online or on TV) it still feels positive too me. Bill Evans is an amazing human and I think he will get his team in position to win if certain players aren't impatient and selfish.

As Brad said there is still a lot of talent on the team. To me the biggest issue right now over and above the statistical situation is just the overall chemistry / discipline issues.

That can destroy even the most talented club. If Bill can iron those out (and I give him major props for feeling that he had to make a statement to ET and the team by doing what he did) they'll be fine for Big Sky play.

The non conference record is usually not indicative of how the team is going to do (either men's or women's) because of the number of "money games," and the difficulty of getting a lot of non-conference home games. This year is a perfect example...men started the year with six straight games away from Pocatello. Women have seven of the first eight away or at a neutral site.

PBP

Defense is dreadful, especially guards up front. The TOs are just horrible. The offense does not utilize 3 positions almost in every possession. How do you have a kid (who's averaging more then 3 3ptfg a games that he has played)who Evans considers the best shooter he's seen in 35 years, not get a single screen to come off for shooting? Guards trying to do to much. Those turnovers are killing the rhythm, and hurting them in defense. Figure maybe the offensive system plays a role? Perhaps. Rebounding is not good as mentioned. What is frustrating at times is lack of effort on defense, especially from guards at front, and protecting the key. As I mentioned before, I think this team can do better.

I won't be covering them for quite some time, but I wish you guys and the teams luck! Will be active as much as possible here. Thanks for the hospitality .

Latest posts

Back