• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Things will look up

isusuperfan

Things are gonna look up. Sure, 21 losing seasons out of 27 is terrible. But, remember how bad Kansas State used to be. A video you must look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqWOhweImn0

Some stats from their 40 years of agony:

24% winning percentage (dead last when CFB had 112 teams)

8-41-1 from 1940 to 1989

2-48 against Oklahoma (really)

Against the 93rd winningest team in CFB, Kansas?
11-37-1

"Manhattan, Kansas, is in the middle of nowhere. Nobody wanted to go there" (Sound familiar?)

Just keep in mind that K-State for 40 years was the epitome of futility and mediocrity. They were a slightly less dangerous export from Kansas than say, Dorothy and Toto.

So it could be worse. We could be Idaho University and have to deal with the eventual dropping back down to D-1AA

Ross, this is quite simply the coolest thing that you have ever put on this board... I've been to Manhattan, KS, and if you can recruit to there or even to Lubbock, TX you can recruit to anywhere... I believe that the admin and coach Z can get it done if they keep at it for a few years...

24,000 attend that University and 50,000+ go to the football game. The town, little that it may be, is full of football tradition and influence. I have also been there, its about the size of Blackfoot. And has the feel of Pullman or Moscow. They started winning before the "Recruiting Arms Race" started having a drastic impact on college football programs around the country. And win I was interviewing there, they were weeks away from building completely new facilities for athletic offices, classrooms, weightroom, hall of fame room, training room, equipment room, lockerroom...$$$$

Superfan...

Now that is ONE QUALITY POST! This is the kind of thing we need to see....realizing that if someone else could do it...SO CAN WE!

Go Bengals!

Superfan Im glad you posted this for a few reasons...:

1st of all Kansas State football for years and years has been followed by myself and my family. My dad played baseball and football there and my entire extended family graduated from Kansas State. They have followed it through thick and thin standing by those terrible terrible losing teams and the ones that have thrived more recently. Here are some other paraellels between Manhatten, Kansas and Pocatello, Idaho and perhaps some minor differences or things that are obviously lacking. Listening to my dad talking about the recruiting process of himself out of high school I was told stories of how Barry Switzer came to his house from OU and a few other notable coaches from the "Big 8" at the time (minus the the texas teams UT, TxTech, Baylor, TAnM) he would tell me of the upside and downsides of the teams than. But the things he told me about recruiting to KSU located in what if you ever been is called the Mini Apple compared to the other Manhatten we all know, is that when you do encounter much losing and negativity surrounding your program you must not dwell on what you don't have but what you do have. For example he told me about how when he played there in the Mid 70's they were just as terrible as they were in the 80's and its a lil comical to think about but instead of bringing their prized recruits to Football games they would bring them to their basketball games because they had Bball teams that were great, far an above their dwindling football program. He talked about how kids would camp out several days ahead of time just to get tickets to basketball games, but how you could'nt pay them to go to football games...which is now odd to think since KU has had the superior bball team and no Fb team until last fall really. This before the "arms race " as some one noted of facilities was in place but granted they knew their strengths and weaknesses and used that to their advantage to get what they could. Bengaleyes also talked about how the facilities are in place there now and that was a long time coming but yes they do have a huge complex on one end of the stadium that plays host to the weight room, lockerrooms, and other amentities, which yes as a 18 year old kid coming out of high school is something they don't look for any more they Expect it. After all where you go to school becomes your life for 4 to 5 years. Where you spend that time hopefully is a place you enjoy to be that will make you a better Student-Athelete. But one of the Biggest things I notice when you visit just about anywhere 50 miles from Lawerence is the community support. You can drive through the rolling hills anywhere in eastern Kansas and see farms set off from the highway but one thing ull always notice, a purple powercat (their logo) on a fence, mailbox, barn, or on the liscene plates. The support there is overwhelming and yes it is easy to support a winner. But cleary KSU has not always been a winner.
Looking at Pocatello, Idaho as a player here at ISU for 5 years I at times felt some of the community support at times and there lack of later on at times. But thats not to say that there isnt potential to what could be become of this University, program, and community. Its easy to say Bill snyder turned the communties outlook there, but to say we couldnt do that is merely a farce. To say we could only obtain that by dropping down to D2 (which will never happen) is much of the same. You must take what you have and build on it. It takes small fragments adding up to create a foundation of support. It's the small things like having the logo's seen around town and things like that, that make people want to be apart of something. Obviously the monetary situation may hamper some goals, but thats not to say you can't have bold expectations and goals none the less, because if your not aiming for something, that entity will aimlessly flounder amid others expectations. When I was talking about taking what you have and build on it, as a player and now a fan I look to things like this: Playing on Television- Huge recruiting tool wether its Altitude network or Fox Sports net like the Oregon state game last year was on. Some one said in a thread everytime we are on there its just another time people can see how bad we are. How many times have you been on tv because of something you worked hard on just to get there? Use this to our advantage. What 18 to 24 year old kid does'nt want to be able to say "Yes! I played on tv in front of my family and friends." As a player I can't describe the feeling you get when you get to play in front of 50,000 plus when we traveled to SDSU, Kentucky, and even to Montana where the atomosphere is nothing less than electric, but allows you as a player to feed off it and thrive. Holt Arena: Yes its becoming an older and delapidated facility in terms of whats going on around the country now, but it also serves as a facility in which fans can come watch a game at 70 degrees no matter how cold it is. Most teams in FCS don't have indoor facilities but this can be seen as that to the program which in times of snow and rain it proves to be very usefull. So go out and support the efforts to help sustain it and eventually if by contributions, the plans drawn up for the new bball arena , practice fields and everything else. Most people will tell you outside of outdoor recreation there isnt much to do in SE Idaho. Well make the football games every saturday..the basketball games, soccer, volleyball and other programs here your Something to do and help garner support for the entire university because it will only help strengthen each of them.
I have played with the previous staff and this staff, and although their philsophies may differ in some ways they do have one thing in common. They are working as hard as they can to make the program better with in their means of time money and what ever else may limit them, but doing What THEY can do for the players, the team as a whole and the University. With all of this being said Pocatello, exciting or not has become for me a home away from home and an area that has the ability to become the next Manhatten, Kansas but it will have to start with just the smallest things if its to ever add up to the Big picture, because even if it is frustrating to all take in, take JFK's advice "Ask not what your country (ISU) can do for you, But ask what you can do for your country (ISU)."

Excellent letter.
Like I have said before, I will always support the effort of the coaches, players, and administration.
It is the responsibility of the coaches and players to make the best out of the situation they are presented with, but I stand by my opinion that ISU will not become a consistant contender or competitor until something drastic is done to facilities to draw more talent, plus depth of talent, into this place to win. Because in 27 years the coaches and players have only accomplished 6 winning seasons. You can't build momentum in the program unless you have financial support in place. Ask Larry Lewis; the person who brought 3 of the 6 winning seasons in the past 27 years plus the only bigsky championship season at ISU since 1981. Ask him what happens when you don't get the support you need financially. Actually ask Zamberlin in two years when he, his family, and the other coaches are looking for employment. Hopefully this doesn't happen to them. But it has happened to the previous 6 out of 7 coaching staffs.

I saw the parallels between our programs when I saw that video awhile back. And I just wanted to say that no matter what, we must always stand tall and stay with it. There is no honor or dignity in NOT supporting your team when THEY NEED IT MOST!!!! We need to stop bitching, pissing, moaning, griping and what not...and get a Can-Do attitude! If I can do it, so can ya'll.

The victories that will come to us will be that much sweeter

*Puts on religious face*

We're clearly being tested by the Almighty. Our very faith is being tried by the forces of adversity and temptation of despair and doubt. We must remain vigilant and undaunted in our Holy Task appointed by the Almighty.

Latest posts

Back