• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

This really makes me want to throw up

Skippy

I know I'm a dinosaur and it was 20 years ago that I broadcast Idaho State's last win over Boise State in football, but comments like this still make me ill. I hate to see how Boise State has "taken over" eastern Idaho, while Idaho State's football program has regressed into the woodwork.

"We've had a long span here of success, but you've still got to stay connected to your fans," said Brad Larrondo, the assistant athletic director for football who accompanied Harsin from event to event. "It's safe to say we got a little bit disconnected the last couple years. … Probably the next biggest thing for this program is to dominate those markets outside of Boise so we have another base to draw from to fill that stadium every Saturday

This guy's an idiot. East idaho will always be ISU BYU USU and maybe even UofU before the glorified High School in Boise.

On the flip side, when was the last time ISU made a concerted effort outside of the Pocatello area to engage alumni and fans?

Idaho's head football coach did the southern Idaho tour right after recruiting, with stops in places like Idaho Falls and Twin Falls. BSU hit every high school in Idaho last month.

ISU used to have radio coverage in the Treasure Valley. ISU used to maintain a semi-regular presence in places like Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, and Boise.

I may not like it, but I can't knock BSU's attempts to reach all over Idaho. As long as ISU continues to bend over for the other schools, it will continue to happen.

Time to step up.

The loathing of Boise State is something that I understand and respect...but, but, but Sasquatch is correct.

So, Sasquatch for President on this one. If you want to be competitive...leave no doubt.

It's no secret that I am a Boise State fan as well as an ISU fan. I've watched BSU throughout the years market their programs and I encouraged the marketing department at ISU to market the Bengals. The fans want connection. ISU marketing team can't even get out posters and schedules out to Pocatello businesses before the first game of the year. Around Aug. 1 every year for the past 5 or 6 years, I stop by Holt to pick up posters to hang in the windows of our business located on Yellowstone. Most of the time I find the room locked. When I actually talk to someone, they tell me that the posters/schedules haven't arrived yet but when they do, someone will deliver them to us. I have yet to have anyone other than myself or our employee cross through our doors with football or basketball posters/schedules. No one. Why would ISU fans get worked up over the Bengals when the marketing department doesn't.

Sometimes when I am in Pocatello, I stop by the sandwich shop across the street from campus. While eating lunch, I note the athletic gear that I see students wearing. You are kidding yourself if you believe ISU gear is prevalent. I see BYU, BSU, Notre Dame and a host of others. I see ISU gear, too. But they are not as common as BYU and BSU. Again, marketing.

Finally, I grew up in Idaho Falls. I still have family there. I have family members who live in Idaho Falls that have season tickets to the stadium seats at BSU (at the tune of about $750 per pair + another $690 or so to the Bronco Athletic Association just to have the opportunity to buy those tickets). They drive to Boise for every home game (food, lodging and transportation costs). They are now exploring possibility of buying skybox tickets for about $4600 for a pair of tickets. My point is that Idaho Falls has a growing number of Bronco fans that are willing to spend money, real money to attend Bronco games in Boise. From my conversations with family members, ISU is non-existent in Idaho Falls, marketing-wise.

Everybody in Boise loved Pete. BSU has had the Coach Pete fun runs that benefits the general scholarship fund at Boise State. I participated in three of the five that he had. He had numerous public appearances in Boise that I attended. Harsin is picking up where Pete left off by selling the program to all takers throughout the state with innovation and enthusiasm. ISU could use a little of both. No offense intended.

I agree spazdog1. When teams have winning programs the fans will travel long distances and pay the money for season tickets as they want to be part of the excitement. They will wear the gear and tailgate before the games.

I guess in principle I agree with Spaz. Although I am not a BSU fan I do get the fact that there are a ton of people in SE Idaho that are. I see the gear they wear, the posters they hang, and the flags they fly, all over the place. It's also easy to see why, THEY WIN FOOTBALL GAMES! How tough is it to market a winning program??

I mean no dis-respect to the BSU marketing department, it's obvious they work hard, and to Spaz' point they are obviously successful, but a winning team does a great job of marketing itself. My 9 year old granddaughter could market BSU football out of her basement.

I guess that also proves the point Spaz made about how much harder the ISU Marketing Department needs to work. Historically, ISU does not win football games, and the program does not sell itself, so someone has to work hard to do it for them.

When I owned a business in Pocatello, the ISU marketing department was all over me. They brought posters in, schedules in, they had the volleyball, soccer, and basketball teams eat there regularly, they wanted me to do a lot more advertising than I was capable of doing but they certainly didn't ignore me. Granted, this was a few years ago and things have obviously changed.

I'm going to do my job of helping the Marketing Department by demanding that local businesses carry ISU gear, sweatshirts, t-shirts, hats, etc. to place alongside their BSU, BYU, USU, and Notre Dame, merchandise, and then I'm going to buy and wear it. I appreciate the passion Spaz has for his teams - I'm going to try and emulate that passion in my support of the Bengals. Maybe if more of us were like Spaz there would be greater support in southeast Idaho - heck in all of Idaho - for the Bengals.

I also agree with bengalguy. ISU should market the local businesses in Pocatello with their gear and posters. It creates a great atmosphere for the residents of Pocatello and ISU.

I think one of the things that makes BSU successful in their marketing is that the coaches and players are visible within the community and now, throughout the state, especially in southern Idaho. The players eat up the fact that kids of all ages look to them as something greater than they really are... almost like celebrities. The coaches and players work to the same end as the marketing department... project positive images of the school and their program. Their efforts aren't limited to only making a spot 1 hour appearance to the mall. They do that but also go directly to businesses that support the program to thank them for the support. The fact that they are at the businesses putting on some sort of event, the press is there giving both the business and the school exposure. They go to public venues and put on some sort of event, the park in Idaho Falls for example, to meet the average Joe in an effort to build a relationship with him. That's how it works. In order for this to be successful, the coaches and players have to buy into it. At BSU, they do.

My point is that there is a lot of weight placed on the marketing department, but their task is a whole lot easier if they can get enthusiastic support from the team and coaches. Does ISU have that relationship between the teams and the marketing department? One more thing... I concede that winning helps a bunch, too.

Spaz:

Just wanted to comment on your comment about players and the community. Most ISU teams are doing a number of charitable events, meeting community members and so on throughout the year. Maybe you don't know about them as much because they aren't publicized (or publicized as much as needed by the local media)

Just speaking personally about women's basketball, I know they were helping Jerry and the Rotary Club put up ISU flags to people and businesses who bought them before home football games and I know one Saturday they got together and helped clean up and fix up a local church. They also were very visible after the game with local kids at Reed Gym for the National Girls & Women in Sports Day in February taking pictures and signing autographs. You also have the crab feed every November which has drawn 400-500 people every year to the student center for a great evening. That's one of the things Seton is pretty passionate about, having the team 'give back' to the community.

I understand your overall points and think many of them have merit (particularly the comments about the ISU radio network), but I honestly don't know how much more the athletes can do to "promote" ISU athletics than they are already doing.

PBP

This is an interesting thread. I agree with much that has been said. Times have also changed. I have been an ISU fan my entire life and I always will be. But much of my family, many of whom went to ISU, are BSU fans. It is easier to jump on the bandwagon than it is to stick with a team that does not regularly win (I am talking about football here). It it is not just ISU and BSU. People shop for teams these days and geographic place does not matter as much. In addition, Pocatello has not grown much over the past 30 years and Boise has into a major city and a big media market. The Magic Valley used to be ISU territory, but it is largely BSU territory now with some diehard UI fans still around. The Magic Valley is now a Boise media market and Boise's urban influence is starting to push our into southeast Idaho.

As for me, I still cherish 1981, 1987 (Frank Selto), 1992 (Globe of Death) and 1994 when we beat the Broncos in exciting games and you will never find me in a BSU shirt, never.

...I have thought of buying 5 or 6 BSU T-shirts....just in case we have a catastrophic event.....earthquake, etc...and the stores run out of toilet paper....ISU grads would need to be prepared.... :nod:

First of all I do watch BSU Football only.
Second It makes me sick that The Times News in Twin Falls gives ISU sports next to nothing in coverage. I believe Skippy or PBP tried get some news published with little success. The Times however covers BSU like a blanket, has more U of I news than ISU new coverage.
I live in Washington and follow ISU webcast for ever sport that is broadcast. I have Bengal screen saver, bumper stickers and decals in the windows. Put signs in the windows "Go Bengals" for what ever sport we are engaged in at that time.

I have had former ISU alums like Donnel Morgan, Tanner Davis stop to talk Bengals with me when seeing me in Bengal gear. We have a lot of Western Washington kids going to ISU.
I love ISU and hope our mens programs can start having the same success the Ladies have enjoyed.

Go Bengals! and as Hawks Coach Pete says "Win Forever!

PBP said:
Spaz:

Just wanted to comment on your comment about players and the community. Most ISU teams are doing a number of charitable events, meeting community members and so on throughout the year. Maybe you don't know about them as much because they aren't publicized (or publicized as much as needed by the local media)

Just speaking personally about women's basketball, I know they were helping Jerry and the Rotary Club put up ISU flags to people and businesses who bought them before home football games and I know one Saturday they got together and helped clean up and fix up a local church. They also were very visible after the game with local kids at Reed Gym for the National Girls & Women in Sports Day in February taking pictures and signing autographs. You also have the crab feed every November which has drawn 400-500 people every year to the student center for a great evening. That's one of the things Seton is pretty passionate about, having the team 'give back' to the community.

I understand your overall points and think many of them have merit (particularly the comments about the ISU radio network), but I honestly don't know how much more the athletes can do to "promote" ISU athletics than they are already doing.

PBP

I appreciate your comment. I want to make it clear that I am not on the players at all. As I attempted to convey, in most venues such as you are describing, the players eat it up. They're like rock stars to many that they encounter.

I am trying to say that marketing ISU is more than the marketing department. I know BSU is not the most liked entity here. But, look what they've done. The marketing team, the coaches, the administration (AD, Bronco Athletic Association) and the school worked in concert to pull of the Bronco Blitz and the Bronco Invasion. This year, apparently because of an NCAA rule change, several players were able to participate, too. The invasion is the topic of this thread. With a budget of $7000, this group went from Boise, to Mountain Home, to Twin Falls, to Pocatello and to Idaho Falls in what, 4 days in an effort to build upon the Bronco brand. They had a car dealer donate several Ford F150 Super Crew pickups to help transport those involved in the invasion. The Broncos' 18 wheeler (okay here comes the truck driving school comments) that is all decked out joined the caravan. The 18 wheeler is a moving billboard. Anyone who sees the truck & trailer knows it's all about BSU. The invasion is an effort to meet fans, bring in new fans and thank donors and sponsors for their support. Yes, Idaho Central Credit Union is also a sponsor of BSU so it should be no surprise to see them at ICCU's headquarters in Chubbuck. Fans helped coordinate each stop and event. All of these groups and individuals came together to make this happen. The fact that we are discussing this proves it worth.

I've been all over the marketing team at ISU for several years. But, it's not just them. It's an idea that involves participation from everyone, even the players. That's my point.

For what it's worth... I applaud Seton and his players for all of their efforts. I just think that it deserves better publicity.

Here's one more thing... I received this via email on Friday (see below). I get these every month. Maybe ISU does this and I am unaware it. I don't know. Let me know if ISU sends these to their boosters and it so, how they compare.

http://www.getresponse.com/archive/davidkinard/STATE-OF-THE-NATION-May-Edition-50620504.html?e=&u=SIVj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need a little help with the link. Sorry.

Spaz, Jeff t. Send out an email several times a year and the information is often interesting. I don't know how I got on the list. Maybe some of the other members can help with that. Pilot give me a call when you have time

GF:

I still cover ISU for the Times - News but you are right, they've cut their coverage way, way back from what it was.

Part of it is because they've cut budgets as most newspapers struggle to deal with the internet and I assume part of it is because they think readers don't care in the area. You might want to contact the paper and let them know that there are folks who want to read about ISU.

I used to write a pregame story every week for football for example and do a post game wrap story for home games to go along with three or four spring practice stories and three fall camp stories.

Now all the weekly pre game coverage is out the window and I only did one spring practice story this past year. Don't know what the schedule will be yet for this August.

I even used to do a monthly basketball story for them. Now they won't touch either men's or women's basketball even when the women's team won the title and went to the NCAA's.

PBP

Latest posts

Back