• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

time to drop football?

spartan

since we stink and will probably stink for the foreseeable future....

maybe idaho state should just drop football altogether...

comments

spartan said:

comments

No.

If you think the last 5 years defines and should define the whole athletic department and even the university going forward... by all means, drop football.

Clearly, Kramer has sabotaged his own rebuilding efforts and grossly miscalculated with the "offense only" approach to football.

Ultimately, something drastic needs to happen; ripping the roof off the Minidome or burning the sucker down would be a good place to start.

spartan said:

comments

You'd drop football rather than drop the coach?? These football players can't be as bad as the scores indicates. Obviously, the play calling (offensively and defensively) is horrible!!

I say drop the program......Yes we can go back 5+ years an see an OK season. Not multiple seasons. This is embarrassing now which costs a lot of $$. The saving grace was the money games that they played.

When we consider allowing under 50 points a decent game it's time....Yes we could get ride of a coach but we said that about the last one and the one before that.......

I don't say it lightly because I have believed in the program for a long time but I am finally at the point of focusing on women's soccer, our basketball programs ect.

I really think that we'll see quite a bit of improvement next season, because of the fact that most of our problems were a result of poor defensive line play, and this should be remedied next year. Mitch Word, who's a 6-4, 285 lb DT from Georgia, will be available next year. And Tyler Kuder is a 6-4, 310 DT from Payette, who transferred from Western Montana, and he'll be available. And he was 3A all-state in FB and basketball for Payette High. And Terrence Carey is a 6-0, 300 lb. DT from Miami, who transferred from Florida State, and he was unavailable this year because of academics. And at LB Derek Berrey, who's 6-5 and 235 lbs., was hurt during the Nebraska game, and he'll also be available. Also, even though we're encouraged to not recruit JC players, they can still contact the coaching staff about the possibilities of transferring to play for ISU. And we'll probably end up getting a few 1-A dropdowns to come in and help out. So honestly, I see a lot of reasons for optimism for next season.

Unfortunately, dropping football will cause this alum and many others to have one less reason to think, care or advocate for ISU. Careful what you wish for.

Drop football because we are losing? Kramer needs another 2 years of recruiting classes to build a solid program. That will give him 4 years of recruiting the players that he wants. By Kramer fifth season he should have a winning season. The good news is that the athletes he recruits will not hurt the ISU APR rating.

spartan said:

comments

Quit whining. Support the team in 2-3 years if things have not changed then we will talk. It is hard to try and get support or additional money from the student body with all the trash talk. We must have patience be supportive and be quiet. We get it ISU is getting the crap kicked out of them. It will take time. I have been impressed a lot by the football players especially the redshirts that are on campuses. These kids are not playing but when they play The D will be much better we all need to Wait . :twocents:

If you drop Football then correct me if I'm wrong but won't ISU get kicked out of the Big Sky? Then all Sports will go into a tail spin due to the fact that small conferences are drying up fast. There isn't a lot of places to go right now with a low major athletic dept with no Football.

In order to keep the other programs viable I think you must keep FB. And I agree we must give Kramer some time to build it his way. But ISU Admin and ISU FB Coaches aren't doing much to help their cause. And they gutted FB funding a few years back, that's what cause most of this so I don't know if that's the answer.

I don't want a vote or have a vote on if anyone should be ran. But I think everyone one affiliated with this program all the way up to the highest tower should understand that there seat is hot.

ISU spending on football has gone up about 12 percent this year over last, and has increased about $350 K over the last three years, according to figures ISU submitted to the State Board last February. So it's difficult to say ISU has "gutted" financial support for the program.

As to the question of whether ISU wants to continue to sponsor FCS-level football, the administration needs to (and may have already) determine what its goals are for the football program -- what is it they are hoping to achieve through the football program. Then, if they are not meeting those goals, they need to determine what needs to be done to meet them, or whether those goals are indeed attainable. (Again, they may very well have already done this). This would be a great topic for an in-depth discussion with the president, either in the media, or with the ISU alumni association board.

Absent such a discussion, a few things are immediately obvious: 1) Quick turnarounds in FCS football are achieveable. Remember, the 1981 national championship team followed an 0-11 team by just two years. Recently we have the more modest example of Northern Colorado, who was winless last year and has put a very nicely competitive team on the field this season. 2) The institution of APR requirements has changed the situation considerably, making it more difficult to recruit marginal student athletes. ISU's failure to meet the new APR standards and the subsequent steps the university has taken to get out of "APR jail" make it much more difficult to attain a "quick turnaround." 3) So the question has to be asked: do ISU supporters have the patience and the stomach to endure through these difficult times? And, as has been noted by others on this board, what happens if after several more tough years, we still don't achieve competitiveness?

These are difficult questions that have no obvious or easy answers. The university and its "stakeholders" (students, donors, alumni, state board, etc.) are going to have to decide if the pain is worth the potential gain.

As to the Big Sky Conference, I don't know what the requirements are for football participation, but I was told at one time that there are no provisions within the conference by-laws for "expelling" a conference member. I know the conference and the NCAA have basic requirements for being an FCS member and a Division 1 member. Obviously, to be an FCS member in football, you have to have football. I don't know if you dropped football how that would impact Division I membership in all other sports. But clearly these are questions the university would have to address if it were considering dropping football.

To me, the ultimate questions are these: does the potential benefit of eventually being a "successful" football program outweigh the current negative perceptions the football program attaches to the university? And if so, then what has to be done to achieve that "success" in the future?

Skippy:

As always a reasoned and well thought out post. No hyperbole or name calling...such a refreshing change.

PBP

up for the challenge said:
Drop football because we are losing? Kramer needs another 2 years of recruiting classes to build a solid program. That will give him 4 years of recruiting the players that he wants. By Kramer fifth season he should have a winning season. The good news is that the athletes he recruits will not hurt the ISU APR rating.

Exactly! Look at Kramers record. He has taken poor teams to the top. MSU was 0-11 in 2000, and by 2002 he managed to beat the Griz in Missoula, snapping a 16 game streak. He had to start over at ISU. He will get the job done. Silk purse, sows ear...in time. In the meantime, you doubters could be Big Bad Bandwagon Boise Boosters, and wait til Idaho comes back to outsuck everyone in the Big Sky in football. Or, just relax. It will happen. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back