• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Time to start fundraising

BengalSapper

I was reading about MSU upgrading bobcat stadium. MSU raised the $10 million needed for the upgrade, a large majority of the money coming from private donations. ISU needs to start fundraising for the construction of a new stadium. I hear all the arguments of how that is impossible and that we need an outdoor stadium or let’s just put more money into the dome. Things to think about.
1. We built the first indoor stadium on a collage campus when everyone said it was impossible.
2. When ISU starts winning and it might take 3-5 more years Holt is too small. No more seating can be added. 12,280 seats is the 8th smallest stadium in the BSC.
3. Holt does not have a fire suppression system I have no idea how it meets code and is still open.
4. ISU needs new AD offices, an actual trophy room, concession area and a fan shop.
5. An indoor stadium is the best. 67 degrees in the winter 68 in the summer.
6. Holt is a major economic force for ISU and the surrounding community.
7. If we are going to spend the money get what you want.
8. I go to ISU raise my tuition to help pay for it.
9. If the community does not want to help pay for a new dome close the dome to all things that are not ISU functions. No more rodeo, monster trucks, Simplot games, chrome in the dome, spring fair.
10. F.E.M.A and other federal money grants could be available.
We need to start talking about what to do with the dome. ISU needs to start fundraising if we start know we could have some money in hand to start a new stadium. Thoughts everyone?

I know a bunch of folks on this board don't want to hear about BSU and the things they do. But, IMO, the Broncos do a decent job of fundraising.

Here is a list of things that they do or have done...

1. Bronco Stock - sadly, this is disbanding next month and never really took off like I thought it would. Bronco Stock gives the purchaser an opportunity to meet with other Bronco Stock stockholders at annual meetings. Each share sold for $100 and had absolutely no monetary value or no real voting rights. This was a chance for Bronco enthusiasts to get together with the athletic department and talk Bronco sports.

2. Horsepower - This is another grass roots program that I believe was ignored by the former athletic director at BSU. A program is setup to allow anyone to donate as little as $10 monthly. I'm not sure why this link doesn't work. Maybe someone can assist... http://broncohorsepower.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Members have the opportunity to direct their donations to the sport or program of their choice. There are probably a dozen or so of us who are members of the program. I send $35 monthly to assist in the summer scholarship programs. For me, if I can shave $5 to $10 or so monthly from my cell phone or internet carrier, I redirect it to this program. By doing this, it really costs me nothing but the benefits are: I am helping the program and it's tax deductible.

3. Text to Donate - During home football games, they run a text ad on the jumbotron and announce it over the PA system. Basically, text now to this number and you will donate $10 to the Bronco Stadium expansion project.

4. Premium Seating at Bronco Stadium - I have 2 Club Seats in the new pressbox section of the stadium. Each ticket costs about $2200 per seat per season. Our section has a full service bar (received a waiver from the State Board of Education) and buffet section. Each pair of seats is allotted a parking spot for their use. The cost is steep but at the end of the year, about $2600 of the $4400 or so is tax deductible. I believe there are about 700 or so Club Seats, 16 suites (at about $50K per yr. each) and a number of loge seats whose prices are similar to ours. This fall will be the 5th year of the premium seating. You can do the math.

5. Stueckle Sky Center - Opened in 2008, this houses the new pressbox (see above). In fact, I believe the Bengals played in the inaugurial game that year. Events, such as weddings, receptions, family reunions, etc. are scheduled around campus activities. All catering for the events are controlled by and paid to the Sky Center. I believe the project was financed by donations and by purchasing bonds. It's my understanding that the construction costs have already been covered by the season ticket holders, such as myself, and the revenue generated by the private events at the center. Oh, one more thing that's helped. Instead of BSU forking out a bunch of cash to rent the convention center for their own events, they use the Sky Center, which means that they are paying themselves for the use. It all helps the bottom line.

6. Beat Coach Pete - Bronco Extravaganza. Okay, this is not a fundraiser for the athletic programs. This is a fundraiser where the proceeds go directly into the general scholarship fund. This weekend is the 5th annual Beat Coach Pete Challenge. Coach Pete put out a challenge that he would donate $5 for anyone that could beat him in the 5K (3.2 mile) event. Last year, the event netted somewhere between $40K - $50K. The costs to enter vary, depending upon the student status (student, non-student, family pass, etc.). You can run, trot, walk or push your stroller if you want. It's a big event that is followed up by autograph signings by athletes of a number of sports, demonstrations for fans and a couple of athletic events - softball & tennis. The annual spring football game caps off the day. If you show your racing form from the Beat Coach Pete race, you get into all of these free. Otherwise, there's a nominal fee.

7. Bengal Gear - I admit, I haven't gone out and looked for Bengal gear. I own a Bengal T-shirt or two but that's about all you can find here in the Boise area. Several years ago, BSU spent some real money to rebrand their logo. It's taken off since then. I believe it's in the top 50 sellers as far as collegiate fan wear. I believe I read BSU netted $700K or so just last year from logo royalties. For all of the naysayers, Montana's ranks up there, too. What does Montana have over ISU? Anyway, find a few donors to foot the bill and rebrand ISU. With a little luck, the ISU brand could rival both BSU & Montana.

Will these work for ISU? Perhaps. But there has to be community involvement. The Beat Coach Pete is a great example of that. There has to be a group of dedicated people take the lead. Horsepower is an example of that. A handful of people came up with the idea and presented it to the athletic department. I truly believe that given adequate promotion, the Horsepower program could generate a significant amount of revenue. It just needs to be embraced and promoted by the athletic department. Come up with similar events or challenges and see where it takes the Bengals. You never know unless you try. One thing is for sure, doing nothing gets you nothing.

It's never a bad thing to see what other schools do and how they work.

I think there's a lot of potential on athletic website. The Bengal Auction is coming up, but a lot of schools still put an item on their site for the internet fans to bid on. A VISUAL icon for Bengal merchandise is a good idea.

But most important of all: Make sure your link which asks people to give to ISU works!!! It's a nice visual, asking people to contribute to the tradition and to give to ISU. But if it doesn't work when you click it, FIX IT! It's been dead for months now!

That's interesting spazdog, I didn't know all of that. It looks like their administration has come up with a lot of unique ideas in order to bring in more funding. It's important for everyone in their admin to be involved in marketing the program, and I really don't think that Coach Pete enjoys the PR aspect of his job. I did see a BSU game in Stueckle a few years ago and was quite impressed with this facility.

Here's a video of the Beat Coach Pete scholarship run. We were told at the start that more than $90K was raised this year. That must have included sponsorships. This morning, I read that there was $40K raised by the participants. This year, there was a "team" that traveled from Yuba City, California to participate. I believe that Yuba City is where Coach Pete grew up.

http://www.ktvb.com/video?id=147443065&sec=683004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coach Pete has become more comfortable being in front of the cameras. When he took over the head coaching position, many of us thought that his interview and press conferences exposures would be limited. He's come a long way.

spazdog1 said:
I know a bunch of folks on this board don't want to hear about BSU and the things they do. But, IMO, the Broncos do a decent job of fundraising.

Here is a list of things that they do or have done...

One thing BSU has done that ISU should consider is the bonding of facilities. ISU desperately needs a convocation center/basketball arena. Face it, Holt is a poor place for graduations, concerts and community functions. IMO, this would be a legit use of bonds compared to restricted use football facilities. I also noticed ISU is bonded less than Idaho and especially BSU... which has a ton of outstanding debt.

Again, a BSU fundraising idea. Here's an update... I believe this fundraising project started today...

Several days ago, BSU made an email blitz to donors and season ticket holders informing them of a special fundraiser. The beneficiary of the fundraiser is the stadium expansion project. They provided an internet link to donate $11 or Moore (pun intended) to name one of the rooms in the football complex after former quarterback Kellen Moore (#11 for the past 4 seasons). Kellen Moore is giving away an autographed football to some lucky fan/donor. I think the fundraiser started today. I just logged in and donated. The total so far is over $21K! The goal is $75K for this project.

The lesson here is that the target audience has to been in the loop and see the need. They've included links to automatically add your donation information to the donor's Facebook wall (whatever that is). They've taken advantage of the available technology to make it quick and easy for the donor. They've setup a number of donation levels and send you a confirmation. An email blitz has very minimal cost but if administered wisely, can be very rewarding.

Bio, I don't know how BSU gets away with bonding, but if you were to talk with any ISU administrator, then they would tell you that whenever we raise money for athletic facilities then it has to be paid for in cash, whereas whenever we need things for academics then we can issue bonds and not have to pay cash for things. For example, I believe we still owe about a few million or so for the Stephenson Performing Arts Center whereas whenever we've needed capital improvements for athletics we've always raised money and paid cash for them.

Also, we could use a new gym, but higher up on the priority list is making about $20 million improvements to the dome in order to bring it up to code, whereas we could always play BB games as long as we had to until we were to raise the $20 million or so needed for a new gym. But then again we've got lots of things on our wish list that we really need, and I don't know if these things would take precedence over a new gym. For example, we desperately need a new speed turf for about $500,000 or so, a new center for athletic training, coaches offices, a football team meeting room, and a nice new academic support center, which would tentatively be located on the grassy area on the west side of the dome as you're driving south on 15th street, -- and we really need new concessions and a new press box, which we would need as soon as we can if it's going to be some time before we could obtain the $20 million or so needed for the overall dome improvements. So let's empty out or wallets and bank accounts and let's see these things we need come into fruition!

Latest posts

Back