• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 3 - #11/11 Sac State vs #23 Nicholls State

SDHornet

Staff member
Week 3 - #11/11 Sac State vs #23 Nicholls State

The 11th ranked Hornets (0-2) finally come home and host 23rd ranked Nicholls State (0-2) in the home opener. Head Coach Tim Rebowe will be looking to earn back to back Southland Conference Championships in his 10th season at the helm. This week is a game of similarities as both teams are looking for their first win of the season after coming off of losses on the road at in-state FBS opponents in weeks 1 and 2. In week 1, the defending Southland Champions battled Louisiana Tech close but ultimately fell 17-25 in a rain impacted game. The Colonels held an early game lead and kept within one possession for much of the game but couldn’t find a way to pull off the upset. Last week at 18th ranked Louisiana State, the Colonels were as close as 2 points early in the 3rd quarter before the Bayou Bengals blew the game wide open with an offensive barrage. The game ended with a score of 21-44 in favor of LSU.

Offensively, NSU runs a typical read option offense that has favors the rush about 61% of the time and has scored 19 points a game. The engine of this Colonel offense is running back Collin Guggenheim (43 car, 224 yds, 2 TD, 1 rec, 8 yds). He is a tough and quick runner that occasionally gets the snap from the wildcat formation. Quarterback Pat McQuaide (22/42, 251 yds, 1 TD) is a lefty that struggled in the opening game but had an efficient game last week. McQuaide has spread the ball around to his receivers with Quincy Brown (9 rec, 118 yds, 1 TD) being the main target. The NSU wide receivers and tight ends have good size with all but 2 listed on the 2-deep being at least 6’-2”. Up front, the Colonels are an experienced group that is more on the leaner side with a couple of big bodies in the middle of the line but they have given up 6 sacks so far this season.

The Colonels 4-3 defense is very experienced and has performed well in 6 of the 8 quarters it has played so far this season, however they have struggled to get stops in the redzone where opponents have scored on 8 of 10 trips (7 TDs allowed). NSU forced 5 turnovers at Louisiana Tech including a pick six on a busted screen pass. Up front the Colonels have a solid defensive line that are led by big nose tackle Rasheed Lovelace (8 tak, 1 INT) and defensive ends Joe Mason (11 tak) and Alex Villavaso (8 tak, 1.5 TFL, 1 sac). The NSU linebackers are very good at finding the ball. Linebacker Eli Ennis (21 tak, 0.5 TFL, 1 INT) leads the team in tackles. The Colonel secondary is led by safety Ethan Lee (14 tak) who is second on the team in tackles.

The Colonels kicker Ray Vallee (0/2 FG, 2/2 PAT) struggled at Louisiana Tech from short range and was replaced by Gabe Showalter (1/1 FG, 3/3 PAT) who hit from 38 yards out later that night. Punter Kylan Dupre (13 pnt, 40.8 ypp) has seen a lot of action so far this season. He has dropped 5 inside the 20 and has 2 punts over 50 yards. The Colonels kick returner, Marquese Albert (1 kr, 12 yds) has only one return on the year. The NSU coverage teams are giving up almost 24 yards per kick return and over 10 yards per punt return.

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Hornets. Kaiden Bennett won the starting job in week 1 last season against this defense and is a far better athlete than Pat McQuaide. Carson Conklin is a better passer and has a stronger arm than McQuaide.
  • Running Backs: Colonels. Collin Guggenheim is a beast and put up outstanding numbers against an SEC defense last week. I put that performance over anything we have seen from Elijah Tau-Tolliver so far this season.
  • Wide Receivers: Hornets. Hornets have more proven talent with three receivers in Jared Gipson, Anderson Grover, and Danny Scudero with 100 yards or more on the year whereas the Colonels only have had Quincy Brown show up so far this season.
  • Tight Ends: Hornets. Coleman Kuntz has made his presence felt but has yet to catch a touchdown pass while Lee Nogrotto has had limited touches but has a touchdown reception.
  • Offensive Line: Hornets. The Hornet offensive line is more athletic and protects the quarterback better.
  • Defensive Line: Colonels. Slight edge to the Colonels as their front has better numbers than the Hornets.
  • Linebackers: Push. Hard to get a good read on this comparison. Will Leota and Eli Ennis are both very good.
  • Defensive Backs: Colonels. Maybe this is the week the Hornet secondary limits an opposing team's top receiver.
  • Punters: Push. Cal McGough is averaging 5 more yards per punt than Kylan Dupre, but Kylan Dupre has dropped more inside the 20 and has the bigger leg.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schreiner has more experience than Gabe Showalter.
  • Kick Returners: Hornets. Calling it now: if Michael Johnson is back on the field, he’ll take the opening kick to the house.

The Hornets have more athleticism across the board but this is a scrappy and experienced Nicholls team. I expect the Colonels to make this game as difficult as possible for the Hornets as they have battled tough in both of their FBS games.

The key for the Hornets in this game is how well they defend the run. The Colonels are a run first team and have struggled on down and distance situations, if the Hornets can keep them behind the chains then it will be a difficult night for NSU.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Hornets just need to execute and take care of the football and all should be well. KB’s athleticism will stretch the Nicholls defense at the line of scrimmage and Conklin’s arm will stretch the NSU secondary vertically.

This is a must win game for the Hornets against a formidable opponent. If the Hornets don’t execute on offense, the scrappy Colonels could very well steal this one. I think the Hornets ride the emotions of finally playing at home to a win.

Stingers Up!

NSU at LSU Highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 3 - #11 Sac State vs #23 Nicholls State

The 11th ranked Hornets (0-2) finally come home and host 23rd ranked Nicholls State (0-2) in the home opener. Head Coach Tim Rebowe will be looking to earn back to back Southland Conference Championships in his 10th season at the helm. This week is a game of similarities as both teams are looking for their first win of the season after coming off of losses on the road at in-state FBS opponents in weeks 1 and 2. In week 1, the defending Southland Champions battled Louisiana Tech close but ultimately fell 17-25 in a rain impacted game. The Colonels held an early game lead and kept within one possession for much of the game but couldn’t find a way to pull off the upset. Last week at 18th ranked Louisiana State, the Colonels were as close as 2 points early in the 3rd quarter before the Bayou Bengals blew the game wide open with an offensive barrage. The game ended with a score of 21-44 in favor of LSU.

Offensively, NSU runs a typical read option offense that has favors the rush about 61% of the time and has scored 19 points a game. The engine of this Colonel offense is running back Collin Guggenheim (43 car, 224 yds, 2 TD, 1 rec, 8 yds). He is a tough and quick runner that occasionally gets the snap from the wildcat formation. Quarterback Pat McQuaide (22/42, 251 yds, 1 TD) is a lefty that struggled in the opening game but had an efficient game last week. McQuaide has spread the ball around to his receivers with Quincy Brown (9 rec, 118 yds, 1 TD) being the main target. The NSU wide receivers and tight ends have good size with all but 2 listed on the 2-deep being at least 6’-2”. Up front, the Colonels are an experienced group that is more on the leaner side with a couple of big bodies in the middle of the line but they have given up 6 sacks so far this season.

The Colonels 4-3 defense is very experienced and has performed well in 6 of the 8 quarters it has played so far this season, however they have struggled to get stops in the redzone where opponents have scored on 8 of 10 trips (7 TDs allowed). NSU forced 5 turnovers at Louisiana Tech including a pick six on a busted screen pass. Up front the Colonels have a solid defensive line that are led by big nose tackle Rasheed Lovelace (8 tak, 1 INT) and defensive ends Joe Mason (11 tak) and Alex Villavaso (8 tak, 1.5 TFL, 1 sac). The NSU linebackers are very good at finding the ball. Linebacker Eli Ennis (21 tak, 0.5 TFL, 1 INT) leads the team in tackles. The Colonel secondary is led by safety Ethan Lee (14 tak) who is second on the team in tackles.

The Colonels kicker Ray Vallee (0/2 FG, 2/2 PAT) struggled at Louisiana Tech from short range and was replaced by Gabe Showalter (1/1 FG, 3/3 PAT) who hit from 38 yards out later that night. Punter Kylan Dupre (13 pnt, 40.8 ypp) has seen a lot of action so far this season. He has dropped 5 inside the 20 and has 2 punts over 50 yards. The Colonels kick returner, Marquese Albert (1 kr, 12 yds) has only one return on the year. The NSU coverage teams are giving up almost 24 yards per kick return and over 10 yards per punt return.

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Hornets. Kaiden Bennett won the starting job in week 1 last season against this defense and is a far better athlete than Pat McQuaide. Carson Conklin is a better passer and has a stronger arm than McQuaide.
  • Running Backs: Colonels. Collin Guggenheim is a beast and put up outstanding numbers against an SEC defense last week. I put that performance over anything we have seen from Elijah Tau-Tolliver so far this season.
  • Wide Receivers: Hornets. Hornets have more proven talent with three receivers in Jared Gipson, Anderson Grover, and Danny Scudero with 100 yards or more on the year whereas the Colonels only have had Quincy Brown show up so far this season.
  • Tight Ends: Hornets. Coleman Kuntz has made his presence felt but has yet to catch a touchdown pass while Lee Nogrotto has had limited touches but has a touchdown reception.
  • Offensive Line: Hornets. The Hornet offensive line is more athletic and protects the quarterback better.
  • Defensive Line: Colonels. Slight edge to the Colonels as their front has better numbers than the Hornets.
  • Linebackers: Push. Hard to get a good read on this comparison. Will Leota and Eli Ennis are both very good.
  • Defensive Backs: Colonels. Maybe this is the week the Hornet secondary limits an opposing team's top receiver.
  • Punters: Push. Cal McGough is averaging 5 more yards per punt than Kylan Dupre, but Kylan Dupre has dropped more inside the 20 and has the bigger leg.
  • Kickers: Hornets. Zach Schreiner has more experience than Gabe Showalter.
  • Kick Returners: Hornets. Calling it now: if Michael Johnson is back on the field, he’ll take the opening kick to the house.

The Hornets have more athleticism across the board but this is a scrappy and experienced Nicholls team. I expect the Colonels to make this game as difficult as possible for the Hornets as they have battled tough in both of their FBS games.

The key for the Hornets in this game is how well they defend the run. The Colonels are a run first team and have struggled on down and distance situations, if the Hornets can keep them behind the chains then it will be a difficult night for NSU.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Hornets just need to execute and take care of the football and all should be well. KB’s athleticism will stretch the Nicholls defense at the line of scrimmage and Conklin’s arm will stretch the NSU secondary vertically.

This is a must win game for the Hornets against a formidable opponent. If the Hornets don’t execute on offense, the scrappy Colonels could very well steal this one. I think the Hornets ride the emotions of finally playing at home to a win.

Stingers Up!

NSU at LSU Highlights

Hey guys, I'm just learning about this forum. I can't wait to chat with you all! This is great analysis! Does anyone know if #73 Soto is ready to play this week? He came back in Week 1 but didn't play Week 2.
#62 Riley is serviceable but I think we need to be at full strength as this will be a gritty game but I have the Hornets winning 28-17.

Last edited:
I think the game is going to be a lot closer. I watched part of the LSU Nicholas game and their D was stout, and the offense was moving the ball on LSU. I think D is coming together, but still missed reads creating bad outcomes.

Does anyone know what’s going on with Zeke Burnett? Is there a reason why he’s not playing. He was the breakout freshman last year. Proved WAY more than Bourders has proved the first 3 games this year. Bourders is a good prospect but has made SO many mistakes so far.

Hey guys, I'm just learning about this forum. I can't wait to chat with you all! This is great analysis! Does anyone know if #73 Soto is ready to play this week? He came back in Week 1 but didn't play Week 2.
#62 Riley is serviceable but I think we need to be at full strength as this will be a gritty game but I have the Hornets winning 28-17.
Welcome to the board. My guess is he wasn't 100% and they didn't want him getting banged up in Fresno. Plus with the depth we have on the line, there were other guys at full strength ready to go.

I think the game is going to be a lot closer. I watched part of the LSU Nicholas game and their D was stout, and the offense was moving the ball on LSU. I think D is coming together, but still missed reads creating bad outcomes.
I agree, I didn't mean to imply that this would be a cakewalk for us. Our roster has more explosive talent on both sides of the ball, whereas they come across as more of a gritty get it done type of team in a slower physical type of game. If the Hornets are sloppy with the football like they have been so far, NSU is certainly capable of cashing in a short field for points.

Most of their offense has been the power running game of Guggenheim (their speedy/shifty running back Jaylon Spears went out with an ankle injury at La Tech) with short passes on the edges, and screens and the occasional shot down the field to Brown. McQuaide doesn't have a big arm and isn't going get much more than a short scramble to the sticks with his legs. The Hornet defense just needs to keep everything in front of them and continue with their solid open field tackling.

Offensively our 11 and 12 personnel should move the ball just fine as it did at SJSU and Fresno. I think 11 personnel would offer the Hornet offense more versatility as it would take one of NSU's talented linebackers off the field or out of the box. If NSU's front stifles the running game, I'm confident that Conklin can pick apart their secondary. The versatility of the Hornet offense will pose a problem for NSU's hard nosed defense.

Lastly, there is a hurricane projected to go through Thibodaux tomorrow which will impact their practice (their campus is closed Wednesday and Thursday) and possibly their ability to even make the trip to Sac.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the LSU game and was impressed with NSU physicality as well. I agree their O isn’t as big of a threat to take the top off our D, but man we’re going to need to be sure-tackling. Guggenheim was a load last year for us, slower but beefier Lars Larison who might cause problems for us out of the Wildcat. We haven’t exactly been gashed by the run so far, so many of these factors seem to play in our favor. Still think this is a close game.

35-28 SAC.

What happened to Devin Gandy??? He was one of our leading receivers last year and I haven't seen him catch a ball yet this year... I think he can take a jump up from last year if we can get him on the field and get him the ball.
It was publicly stated on the Offensive Season Preview podcast that he was cleared to compete fully the week before SJSU following his offseason knee surgery. We can only really say what's available publicly on this board when it comes to injuries for many reasons. So, you might want to cool it on the injury questions.

QB - Watching a recorded game of ASU vs Miss State to see Cam Skattebo. If you guys have this recorded watch Miss State QB how he is in Shotgun fakes RB handoff every play unless it’s a real handoff. Creates a second of pause from Defense.

I’m wondering if you guys check this out? Could be a nice setup for CONKLIN. Gives QB & receivers extra 1-2 seconds running the routes.

Have a great day all

Coming in and exclusively asking about injuries is giving off a "fan of an opposing team" or "degenerate gambler" vibe. Maybe talk about something else SacStateFan007
Sorry, first time on a forum and just want our team to be healthy so we have the best chances to win. Thanks for honest opinion, I’ll try to be better.

It was publicly stated on the Offensive Season Preview podcast that he was cleared to compete fully the week before SJSU following his offseason knee surgery. We can only really say what's available publicly on this board when it comes to injuries for many reasons. So, you might want to cool it on the injury questions.
I never listen/watched that podcast. Thanks for answering my question. I definitely agree with only sharing public information so i will chill with the injury questions.

Latest posts

Back