• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Week 3 - #11/11 Sac State vs #23 Nicholls State

I have a good feeling about tonight’s game. SJ State is turning out to be a good team, should be 3-0 after tonight and Fresno St is very good and we hung in there. Anyways we’ll see soon, Stingers Up

34-7 Hornet win. The Hornets took the opening drive for a touchdown and never looked back as the Hornets put this game away in the first quarter. While the Hornet offense performed well with Carson Conklin (22/32, 264 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT) leading the charge, the story of the game was the outstanding defensive performance that kept the Nicholls offense off the scoreboard.

The Hornet front smothered NSU’s running game as they were held to 10 yards on the ground and 171 total yards on the game. The Hornets had 7 sacks in the game and 14 tackles for loss. Linebackers Will Leota (10 tak, 3 TFL, 2 sac) and Nakian Jackson (8 tak, 1 TFL, 1 sac) led the Hornet defense. Ben Ahio (5 tak, 2.5 TFL, 1 sac) made his presence felt from the end. Aside from a few plays, the Hornet secondary played well and kept most plays in front of them. Anta’Veon McKenzie (6 tak) led the group in tackles with Zelmar Vedder (5 tak, 1 TFL) also making his presence felt.

The Hornet rushing attack got after it early as Elijah Tau-Tolliver (21 car, 111 yds, 1 TD, 2 rec, 4 yds) scored on the opening drive. Zeke Burnett (4 car, 17 yds, 1 TD) saw his first action of the season and had a touchdown run in the second quarter. In the air, Conklin connected with Danny Scudero (4 rec, 102 yds, 1 TD) for some big plays. 9 other Hornets caught a pass as Onterio Smith Jr (21 car, 111 yds, 1 TD) got his first Hornet touchdown with a 4th quarter score. Of course, none of this was possible without another stellar performance by the offensive line, which went sackless in this one.

Special teams had a mostly positive night. Zack Schreiner (2/3 FG, 4/4 PAT) hit from 44 yards out but had a field goal blocked. Cal McGough (3 pnt, 41.7 ypp) dropped one of his 3 punts inside the 20, and Danny Scudero had a 28 yard kick return on a fake reverse. Kick off team had a kick out of bounds and gave up a 30 yard return.

Here are my takeaways from the game:
  • The Hornet front continues to impress on both sides of the line. The offensive line did what was needed while the defensive line didn’t give any room for Nicholls to run. Impressive game on both sides of the ball.
  • Great pursuit by the Hornet linebackers in both the rush defense and blitz packages helped keep the NSU offense on its heels.
  • The Hornet secondary had by far their best game of the year. There were a few big plays given up but aside from that there was tight coverage everywhere else coupled with solid tackling.
  • While the overall performance of the wide receivers was notable, there were some missed plays that probably should have been made. Scudero had a ball bounce of his hand that gifted Nicholls with their lone points on a pick six. Jared Gipson (3 rec, 24 yds) couldn’t come down with a catchable deep ball early in the 2nd half, and Coleman Kuntz (4 rec, 24 yds) had a touchdown catch go through his hands. All of these plays would have been tough to come up with, but those types of plays need to be made if this team wants to make another run at a BSC title and a 5th straight playoff appearance.
  • Conklin’s pocket awareness and decision making was stellar. He made a nice move on a defender prior to hitting Scudero on the touchdown pass and he didn’t force any throws into coverage when a play wasn’t there. He managed the game well.
  • Red zone offense stalled out around the 10 yard line on multiple drives. I think not having a viable read option with Conklin hampers the execution as the run game is less effective with additional defenders in the box. There were a number of pass plays near the endzone that didn’t come close to connecting.

Hornets earned a much needed win in front of 12,494. This was a dominant performance against a ranked opponent which could mean a lot in late November. The Hornets took their foot off the pedal a bit in the 2nd half, but Nichols wasn’t going to come back in this one. After a brief reprieve from travel, the Hornets have to leg out a couple more roadies before the bye week. Next up is a trip to Commerce.

Stingers Up!

Don’t fret asking questions. Not every one here is so hostile, temperamental, and unrelenting.

If you’re here for serious discussion, you'll be fine.

Welcome aboard!
Ok. I guess I’ll give full injury reports next week so all of our opponents know. Just so I don’t come across “hostile and tempermental”. And when the coaching staff wonders why things leaked out I’ll say “because, apparently we need to give new posters on a message board answers to all of their injury questions, even on the off chance they are opposing team fans or coaching staffs”. We’ll see how well that goes over.

To start the year, when I said the RB room was a little banged up, Zeke was the reason I said. He’s still working his way into game shape, but we saw him tonight.

I also hinted the Gandy would play this week, and guess what, he did.

So you can keep calling me a prick, or you can get inside info. You can’t have both.

How teams matchup to each other is always so interesting to me. Very proud of our defense stepping up last night and pitching a shut out. I bring up the matchups topic because Nichols was able to score 3 TDs on offense and managed a 2 point deficit into the early 3rd quarter against a top 25 LSU team. After losing it late vs SJSU and some early blunders against Fresno I was excited to see the defense over perform against a quality FCS team we needed to beat!

How teams matchup to each other is always so interesting to me. Very proud of our defense stepping up last night and pitching a shut out. I bring up the matchups topic because Nichols was able to score 3 TDs on offense and managed a 2 point deficit into the early 3rd quarter against a top 25 LSU team. After losing it late vs SJSU and some early blunders against Fresno I was excited to see the defense over perform against a quality FCS team we needed to beat!
Well said - was not expecting a defensive shutout from this unit after watching the LSU game. Each of the last two years the Hornets dominated the LOS against a team known for being physical.

Did anyone at the game see Nicholls players going after each other on the sidelines at the end of the game? I thought I saw frustrations boiling over on TV, but the camera cut away.

This seems to be the best stretch of run defense we have seen during our recent run of success. I am very impressed with how they are playing as a group.

Nice game summary as always, SD.

A couple of questions from one who missed the game:

1. Did the running game get away from us in the second half again? Or did the spread affect that?

2. SD: You mention the read option (and not having good options for that)? Is the O-Line not opening the holes for either the read or the keep? Could this be addressed by placing Conklin under center with a two-back set and running a standard triple-option? I've always been partial to that, particularly if you pull the play-side guard to provide some extra lead blocking.

Questions aside, it feels good to get one in the win column again. Things are looking up as we head into TX A&M-Commerce (0-3, 0-0 Southland).

Best defensive effort in a long time. Offense was humming until Fresques started running every play up the box and it was stuffed for two quarters, gotta be more creative. Couple of missed catches that would have resonated well. Keep Conklin the starter, use Bennett like OHara and switch up the playcalling. O was too predictable 3/4th Qtr. Good attendance 12,494 for a Southland Conf team.

Latest posts

Back