• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Welcome David Patrick. New MBB HC!

GreenArmySwarm said:
Already started

https://twitter.com/huntsberrykai/status/1511345931928678412?s=21&t=RTZRJr3n8_99-HFvkQsOFA

The DII PG sounds like a nice player, played at a Juco, possibly only one year left. Band-Aid. His transition to DI will be interesting to watch.

Coach Patrick's first year at Riverside, it looks like he had 5 wins (of 10) against NAIA, DII, and Bible schools.

* edited

movielover said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
Already started

https://twitter.com/huntsberrykai/status/1511345931928678412?s=21&t=RTZRJr3n8_99-HFvkQsOFA

The DII PG sounds like a nice little player, played at a Juco, likely only one year left. Bandaide.

A “bandaide” that over a dozen other D1 programs currently wants on their team. By the way, he’s also a local kid “movielover”.

I believe we would have had a winning season if Coach Laird was allowed to coach next season.
If all we care about is one winning season than we should not be disappointed when Troy Taylor leaves for a bigger payday.
If all we care about is one winning season than nobody will mind if we become Portland State. They play the transfer game hard and seem to have a winning season every so often. They also have players quit or get dismissed each season and were recently on academic probation. Sounds a little like Sac State before Coach Katz started graduating players.
I went to a game there on their senior night, and because of all the transfers, they were honoring 8 seniors and only one had parents there as most had already transferred two times. Not something to get excited about, and I think the transfer portal, and not having to sit a year, is going to be the end to player loyalty and school allegiance.
As for playing the transfer game a kid dropping down, or one moving up, is not too excited about playing in the Nest if they have an alternative option. That is a bigger issue than the coach.

Greenteam said:
I believe we would have had a winning season if Coach Laird was allowed to coach next season.
:rofl:

If all we care about is one winning season than we should not be disappointed when Troy Taylor leaves for a bigger payday.
Good thing we at least got 2 winning seasons out of it. :coffee:

If all we care about is one winning season than nobody will mind if we become Portland State. They play the transfer game hard and seem to have a winning season every so often. They also have players quit or get dismissed each season and were recently on academic probation. Sounds a little like Sac State before Coach Katz started graduating players.
I went to a game there on their senior night, and because of all the transfers, they were honoring 8 seniors and only one had parents there as most had already transferred two times. Not something to get excited about, and I think the transfer portal, and not having to sit a year, is going to be the end to player loyalty and school allegiance.
As for playing the transfer game a kid dropping down, or one moving up, is not too excited about playing in the Nest if they have an alternative option. That is a bigger issue than the coach.
Didn't this staff hit the portal hard prior to this past season? Let's give a quick rundown of who on the roster that might return that is worthy of getting excited about:
Chappell (SJSU transfer) and maybe Wilbon (Robert Morris transfer). Everyone else is a question mark or not very good.

I count 7 of the 15 roster spots as HS recruits. Mind you these are recruits of a staff that has been here for over a decade. The portal is a part of the collegiate game now, so I don't mind having a HC that knows how to use it to bring in talent to make the program better than an 8th place finish in the BSC.

At this point the two or three knuckleheads polluting every thread with their Katz/Laird agenda have become an embarrassment.

For people whining about lack of “class” or “professionalism” they sure aren’t displaying any themselves. Why am I not surprised?

Trashing the new HC is low rent, bushleague nonsense.

As for David Patrick, hopefully he’s the guy to help the program take another step or two forward. All the program has been doing lately is running twice as hard to stay in the same place.

This isn't the Art department, graduating players is important, but it is only half of the requirement. You want alumni, city, current students to want to come to games, and that can only be achieved by delivering a winning product on the court.

I am so disenfranchised with this program as an alum, I could care less if it is cut. Which cant happen with all other programs at D1.
I'd rather see the program drop down to D2 if this is the environment it operates under (facility/wins).

30+yrs of losing every year and playing NAIA opponents for the only win(s) is old.
Why waste money every year going to the BSC tournament as the 8th seed?

With the way Katz treated the contract extension a couple of years back I don't think anybody should be surprised how this all went down as bad as it looks.

Now people are criticizing Patrick for making an offer to a transfer? This is somebody we should've recruited out of HS and JuCo. We had 8 players on our roster last year that were transfers so I guess we are basically that Portland State example, right?

Patrick is such an amazing hire, we should be thanking Orr. He's elevated Sac State with every move that he's made thus far.

mattman_121 said:
With the way Katz treated the contract extension a couple of years back I don't think anybody should be surprised how this all went down as bad as it looks.

Now people are criticizing Patrick for making an offer to a transfer? This is somebody we should've recruited out of HS and JuCo. We had 8 players on our roster last year that were transfers so I guess we are basically that Portland State example, right?

Patrick is such an amazing hire, we should be thanking Orr. He's elevated Sac State with every move that he's made thus far.

Didn't Orr play a role in that, making verbal offers and agreements, and then changing direction?

What are Orrs' plans for a new arena?

Odds look good that Coach Patrick will bring a big man with him.

6'9" power forward Akol Mawein was a lightly used reserve for Oklahoma. Mawein is from Australia, and decommitted from Arkansas to follow Patrick to the Sooners. Once Patrick got the Hornet job, Mawein entered the portal.

He put up decent numbers at the JC level, 15 points and 5 rebounds per game.

movielover said:
Odds look good that Coach Patrick will bring a big man with him.

6'9" power forward Akol Mawein was a lightly used reserve for Oklahoma. Mawein is from Australia, and decommitted from Arkansas to follow Patrick to the Sooners. Once Patrick got the Hornet job, Mawein entered the portal.

He put up decent numbers at the JC level, 15 points and 5 rebounds per game.

DP has been pulling and making offers left and right since before he was even announced as HC. Going to be fast and furious recruiting for a while….0

GreenArmySwarm said:
Would not be surprised if we get this back up big

https://soonersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/akol-mawein/14878

As predicted. Australian pipeline already kicking in. We’re about to be St.Mary’s North / public-St.Mary’s at a blink of an eye

The beauty of being in a garbage conference is that it only takes a couple solid recruits and you're immediately competitive. Case and point is what Campbell did with WBB.

No one is being critical of the new coach. Hope he does well and stays a long time. These boards are fun. Montana’s board is calling for Decuire to go and Weber is doing the same for Rahe. I enjoyed reading the posts on the football board during the season second guessing Taylor. After all he has yet to win a post season game. Many of the same posters lauding Orr and Nelson for this hire called them inept a few months ago.

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote: ↑Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:11 am
Kadeezy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:37 pm
For those that didn’t go for whatever reason, you’ll be shocked to hear that there weren’t enough porta-potties and missed chunks of the game waiting in line with my kids.
No, not shocked but still kinda shocked at the same time if that’s possible?

Utterly ridiculous.

The venue was essentially half full. Yet still not prepared?

Nelsen and Orr must really not care.
How can you expect to build and add to a fan base when you don’t take care or appreciate the ones that are there?

If people have a good experience, they are likely to return and recommend the experience to others. If people have a negative experience like not being able to do something as simple as use a rest room, they’re not going to return often if ever.

Not only do they have awful portas, but people have to wait to use them! Just unacceptable. And been happening for far too long.

Nelsen and Orr have to know the above. But just continue to let it be. There’s no other answer than they just don’t care. Or are really inept at their jobs. Probably both.

That's a weak argument there. You're conflating an area that this admin has failed at (facilities) to one in which the department has seen unprecedented success (HC moves). This admin has hired Taylor who is easily the best FB HC in our history, Campbell for WBB that is on the right trajectory after only 1 season, retained Christiansen who had multiple Pac12 offers on the table, so yeah there's a strong reason for the support and optimism of the Patrick hire. If people want to be mad at the "unprofessionalism" of how the old guard was dismissed, then fine. I think that is fair criticism but most people will get over it and move on.

There is no doubt this admin (and past admins) have failed on the facilities front, that needs to be addressed and no one is mincing words regarding that failure. There have been some facility upgrades (concession/bathrooms for softball/soccer, lights and scoreboard for baseball, beach volleyball facility, press box in construction for football, gymnastics facility set to open for next season, lights for soccer/softball on the docket) completed under their tenure, but the events center is the glaring need that needs to see movement. Winning in both MBB & WBB will help with that movement.

SDHornet said:
The beauty of being in a garbage conference is that it only takes a couple solid recruits and you're immediately competitive. Case and point is what Campbell did with WBB.

X2. :clap:

No knock on Campbell. The Men’s team had a better finish and more momentum heading into next season. Both teams will need to replace the seniors they are losing.

Greenteam said:
No knock on Campbell. The Men’s team had a better finish and more momentum heading into next season. Both teams will need to replace the seniors they are losing.

Apples and oranges. Campbell inherited a roster with maybe 1 or 2 D1 caliber players on it and still just missed a 500 season by a game with absolutely no bench at all. WBB would have no doubt had a few more wins if Versteeg didn't have cleaning house issues. Tillman is a big loss but she was a grad transfer and Menke had some good games but she's replaceable. None of the other seniors leaving are notable. Campbell will land more solid recruits (I heard he already has) and this program will pick up where it left off heading into next season.

Katz/Laird recruited their way into this current roster mess. Fowler was the heart and soul of this team this past season so his loss will be big. FitzPatrick was a streaky shooter but wasn't anything special. There's a few guys Patrick will have to build with (Chappell, Wilbon and maybe Barros, assuming they stick around), but the reality is he and his staff will need to turn over the roster as soon as possible to make this program competitive. Thanks to the portal, that turnover can happen sooner rather than later.

We'll know how it goes for both of these coaches in these next 40 days.

SDHornet said:
Greenteam said:

Apples and oranges. Campbell inherited a roster with maybe 1 or 2 D1 caliber players on it and still just missed a 500 season by a game with absolutely no bench at all. WBB would have no doubt had a few more wins if Versteeg didn't have cleaning house issues. Tillman is a big loss but she was a grad transfer and Menke had some good games but she's replaceable. None of the other seniors leaving are notable. Campbell will land more solid recruits (I heard he already has) and this program will pick up where it left off heading into next season.

Katz/Laird recruited their way into this current roster mess. Fowler was the heart and soul of this team this past season so his loss will be big. FitzPatrick was a streaky shooter but wasn't anything special. There's a few guys Patrick will have to build with (Chappell, Wilbon and maybe Barros, assuming they stick around), but the reality is he and his staff will need to turn over the roster as soon as possible to make this program competitive. Thanks to the portal, that turnover can happen sooner rather than later.

We'll know how it goes for both of these coaches in these next 40 days.

There is a young core. (You left off big man Korugum.) Covid 19 was another obstacle, on top of practice time logistical challenges.

Coach Laird was naive if he didn't know odds were at least 50% he was gone. Maybe the strong finish gave him unrealistic hopes.

My source says Coach Laird thought he had a good relationship with AD Orr, so the lack of a personal call from Orr likely changed the perception.

Latest posts

Back