• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Wow

I respect the fact that you believe in Coach Z, VOTB. I would not expect any different from you. I know that you will support this staff and any other staff that ISU has in place until the end of time and I commend you for that.

I want you to know that I want Zamberlin to make me eat my words of criticism and when he does, I will be the first to admit it. Zamberlin is a helluva a guy, he is passionate and he cares deeply for the kids and I do not know anyone on this board that would not like to see him be successful.

While I think that ISU would be better suited to go in a different direction, what we as fans say on this board I doubt will carry any weight.

If ISU does extend his contract they need to give him a full 3 year extension and be very committed to what he is doing. Part of the reason that I think a change should be made now is because the indecision (no contract extension) at this point is not fair to Zamberlin and his staff. Recruiting battles can be won and lost based on the commitment level of an administration to the current staff. I'd say sign him to an extension now or make a change--full support or no support.

But we didn't. We did have those big plays still. Saying yeah, we improved, and if we didn't have those turnovers... By the same token, sac could say if they just didn't fumble it or have some penalties, then they couldve also score several more times and won by 30+. There was some improvement and you make some good points votb, but fact is we have lost our 5th game this year by 20+, the other game we lost to D2 and it wouldve been by 19 if we hadn't thrown a deep ball to krosch at the last min. 0-6!! That is reality, no what ifs. What if their guy didn't rush for 170? We probably wouldve won. But he did. It kinda seemed like they took the foot off the pedal a bit just like eastern, central, and weber too... Just saying that's all.

I agree with Cub. The administration needs to make a call, even if it is an internal decision. If you are going with Zamberlin, make your stipulations, then announce it. If not, start your search. I don't think we have the experience on the present staff to be successful. Changes are needed. What I see as needed are young aggressive Div. I assistants with potential to go on. You have to replace them every couple of years, but they bring experience as well as Div I recruiting contacts. If possible we need mature coordinators. This means you have to cough up the money to pay for the experience AD and Vailas. You cannot continue to run the athletic department on a shoe string budget, then bitch when they cannot compete. As Boise State has shown, your athletic department is just as important in selling your school as the science department.

blackfootbengal said:
As Boise State has shown, your athletic department is just as important in selling your school as the science department.

There's been a lot of articles about the "Gonzaga Effect." Once the school started enjoying success in basketball, the perception of the school changed and an increase in applications, enrollment, and fundraising was seen. For whatever reason, Dr. Bowen and the inner circle never seemed to understand this.

An extreme example is George Mason University, a final four team in 2006. The Washington Times ran a story immediately after this past season, wondering how things had changed for the school in the past 3 years...

"The most obvious thing is the fan support..." "Students got more involved, the alumni started coming back. ... The numbers are obviously different."

Sparked by the massive jolt of publicity and good feelings, George Mason's name recognition skyrocketed. Student applications and enrollment immediately increased. So did donations from alumni and others, helping finance scholarships, academic programs and research.

"It's the gift that keeps on giving," university president Alan Merten said.

Added athletic director Tom O'Connor: "Fundraising has gone up. The perception, the awareness of the basketball program and the university as a whole was helped by our appearance in the Final Four, and that's continued."

Washington Times: The Final Four Effect

Here is something to remember when you talk about "administration support" for the football program specificially, or the athletic department in general: the State Board of Education places a specific limit on the amount of state funds that each state school can spend on athletics. If I'm not mistaken, Idaho State has consistently been at the max on state support for many years. The fact is, ISU athletics are heavily subsidized by two major sources of funding: student fees and state dollars.

Bowen consistently maxed out on state funds for football. My disagreement with his approach was not including athletics in the centennial capital campaign in the late 1990s. That was the time to do it -- the school raised about $100 M, construction costs hadn't soared yet, and the economy was good. Now, ISU athetics is fighting to catch up with just about every program in the league, most of whom have made major additions over the past decade. The new lockeroom and video boards are good starts, but the needs are many.

As to the Coach Z debate, all I will say is this: I'm actually heartened by the fact that there are apparently so many people who feel so passionate about Idaho State football. When people stop caring, then you know your program is dead. I love John and his staff, they are good people, and they have brought in good kids. Travelling with this group is a real joy -- I've never seen a more polite, considerate group of 18 to 22-year-olds in my many years in athletics. I know, and John knows, the bottom line is always going to be winning. But I also know that it really hurts me to see John, this staff and these kids struggle.

So I'm glad you guys are passionate and still care about the program. Life isn't a fantasy and these things don't always turn out the way we'd like them to, but I sincerely hope Coach Z, his staff and these kids start winning and then we'll all be happy and excited.

And remember -- it ain't always easy to be a Bengal, but it's always fun.

Bowen's academic vice president told him that the impact of a ncaa appearance would last about three to four years. The goal of the big east university he used to be at was to get into the tournament at least that often. Bowen didn't beleive it. There have been many studies to prove the point. Why do you think Stanford and Harvard have athletic teams.

bengalfanatic said:
snake said:
Extend his contract. He has a proven track record and will get this team on the right path. The only way it gets any worse is without a W this season. So suck it up.

Central Washington has improved since Zamberlin left...I'm STILL pissed about the CWU game...I dont care how much "recruiting money" we dont have, or how much "fan support" we dont have, a D1aa team should NOT lose to a D2 team...PERIOD. If there was any game that you'd THINK Zamberlin and his staff would have the team ready to come out ready to play and kick some ass it would be versus his former school, but no...we are down 26-0 in the middle of the second quarter!!!

I remember a few years ago when Montana State University opened their season at Colorado. They won that one and the next week fell to a D-II school. They ended up winning at least a share of the BSC title and went two or three games deep into the playoffs.

I guess the point is that our situation could be worse. :D

I luv ya Skippy! You're awesome to work with, and your perspectives always offer new views of clarity.

Skip, Idaho worked under the same state board restraints but they cheated. Also, their president helped raise funds for athletics. Bowen didn't.

Idaho got a nice influx of cash from the WAC's appearances in the BCS bowls. (Oh, and Pocatato says they cheated -- as a man on the bench, I think he knows a cheater when he sees one. :D

Latest posts

Back