• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Z's comments in blog

blackfootbengal

"ISU head coach John Zamberlin was on our show as well, and he noted that, with no disrespect to Hill, the Bengals haven't exactly been a juggernaut with him at quarterback. So there is no guarantee Hill will be the No. 1 quarterback when ISU opens its season next September against Western Montana."

With no disrespect to Zamberlin, the team has not been a juggernaut with him at head coach. The only difference is, Hill does not go into interviews and blame Zamberlin for losses. Zamberlin, your defenses have given up an average of 38.2 points a game over the last three years. Would you and you defensive staff accept some of the responsibility for the teams losses and quit blaming the offense. The only big change made in the staff was on the offense, and it made the team worst. Cullen came in for one year, the defense showed improvement, then he leaves. The defense showed improvement in play as well as scheme. As one who watched some practices, the guy running the defensive show left. The only change made by Zamberlin on the worst defense in the Big Sky was to let the CB coach go, that will really help.

As I pointed out a couple of years ago, you are the head coach and responsible for both sides of the ball. You cannot become embroiled in any offense vs. defense debates, you need to make the entire team better. Hire a linebacker coach and do your job, be the head coach. If Strandley cannot get it done without help, then replace him or get the help, but it cannot be you.

As for Hill; Zamberlin you have played QB roulette for the past three years and the only thing it has accomplished was to create controversey and make the offense inaffective. Every year Hill ends up the QB and spends the entire year looking over his shoulders because your defense cannot stop anyone and you need someone to blame. While I do not see Hill as the second coming, I do think he can get the job done with support from his team as well as the staff. The fact that you would even make the statement you did shows you really need to learn more about offense than you do. The JC QB you are bringing in had worst stats than Hill did throwing against D-I teams with a broken hand. Being 6-5 didn't get it done once before, reading defenses is what gets it done.

I do like that Early believes in fitting the offense to the players he has, that makes way more sense than trying to force players into a system that does not work for them.

Look Blackfoot, no wait I mean Mr. Hill, no wait you've told us that you're not that person,

I am not reading any blame of Hill in Z's statement.
As much as I like Russ Hill, bottomline to me: he doesn't possess the skills to lead us to a BSC title.
He was recruited by Larry Lewis staff, not Zamberlin.
Granted he was thrusted into an offensive scheme that he doesn't best fit in (Spread)
and we need improvement in other areas as well, but we are speaking of the qb position in this post.
His preparation and work ethic is as good as anyone, but I think there are few areas that are subpar.
1-mobility in pocket and ability to run with the ball when needed-how many times has he tripped over his own feet?
2-inability to throw the ball down the middle(part of which is due to his height at 5'10" he can't see over the lineman most of the time)
3-even tho the ball gets there most of the time, he throws a 'quail' with the ball rotating erratically, not a spiral as most qb's throw the ball is at times, hanging in the air. His hands are small compared to other qbs .

A quick look at every other QB in the BSC should tell all of us what is needed to compete at this level.
Nothing has been Russ' fault though except some mistakes he made in games that plainly shouldn't have happened.
Up to this point, the QB selections Zamberlin has had to choose from aren't up to par with the other teams.
However, I say that from this year forward Zamberlin needs to be held more accountable for the production in the QB position because he has had time to procure/recruit a QB of his desire/style. In other words, we should've recruited a QB by now that can be given the reigns and provide the play and leadership from that position that is IMHO, the most important on any team.

I was long in favor of finding the right JC QB to come in challenge for #1 spot in the last 3 years, however with this years' JC recruit, he comes to us not until the end of the semester vs. in Janurary. That eliminates the tremendous advantage any kid would have by being with the team for the entire spring. It is a tall order for any QB to come in and be the #1 at any level. I'm not sure what our staff was thinking. So, unless this kid is "all that and a bag of chips", chances are he won't be useful to us until NEXT YEAR.(no matter who his qb coach is at his school)

Your point about the defense is well taken. We need a PASS RUSH.
I will go on the record to say that, unlike many here, I still have confidence in Strandley to get the job done.

Blackfoot you are spot on. Believer, you need to reevaluate what you're thinking. Until the defense gets better, it won't matter who is at QB. Giving up 40 a game decreases any QB's chance to be successful. If Strandley could get it done, wouldn't he have shown it by now? And what does being a Lewis recruit have anything to do with the equation, besides Z just looking for something to blame. Lewis brought in some quality guys, don't knock that. Fact is that at this point in the year, the last thing you want is to start the controversy all over again. Hill is a champ for putting up with it for the past 3 years. Especially with a lot of time left in the spring, last thing to do is call out guys in the media. Really could start alienating some seniors if he keeps at it.

If someone called me a relative of Russ Hill, I would be honored. I love the kid as a fan and I want to see him have a successful senior campaign.

Make no mistake about it, Zamberlin and Co. tried to a get a Mid-Year JC QB. They wanted a new QB, someone with better feet and a stronger arm. They lost out on two kids to D-1 schools and Grasyon Galloway was the fall back plan.

In my opinion Hill will be the starter next season and Galloway will be playing catch up by missing spring ball. If Galloway was in for the spring--it may have been a battle.

I don't think Galloway is getting a fair shake here. He was sacked damn near 60 times last year and his JC squad threw the ball 75-80% of the time. Much like Hill, his offensive line blew chunks and he did not have the benefit of the play-action pass. Galloway, like Hill will benefit from having the threat of a running game and a more balanced offense.

With regards to the Zamberlin comment, I think that we may be reading into it too much. Zamberlin struggles with the media and in interviews and he often gets himself in trouble by saying things that he doesn't exactly mean to say. I think Zamberlin was saying that the QB position is up for grabs and I think opening the competition up is what he thinks may be best for the team. In fact, by saying this he may be avoiding some controversy. If he favors Hill or Galloway early, he will look like a fool if the other kid wins the job.

What was more telling to me was the comments from Earley. My impression was that Earley believes he can help R. Hill with some of the things he struggles with--mainly pocket awareness, feeling pressure and sliding away from pressure. I think Earely favors Hill at this point because he will have him in the spring. Galloway is at a disadvantage coming in late.

I think Hill gets the run next year with Galloway starting next year. What happens after that had better be answered by a FR that is already in the program. It needs to be. However, if this team struggles badly the next two seasons--Zamberlin will not be making the decisions for the ISU program another HC will be.

This is the caliber the BSC brings. Watch around the 2:20 minute mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZX5nwgx-o

Record-breaking Eastern Washington University quarterback Matt Nichols still has his work cut out for him, but at least he's getting noticed.

An appearance at last month's East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, Fla., has opened the eyes of NFL scouts and draft analysts. In fact, ESPN will air highlights and discuss Nichols in the segment "NFL Draft Lab" on Monday (Feb. 15) on the 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. (Pacific time) SportsCenter broadcasts.

Most notably, Todd McShay from ESPN saw Nichols at the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 23 and made several positive comments during the game broadcast. Nichols completed 3-of-6 passes for 42 yards with a long completion of 30 yards, and also rushed three times for a net eight yards with a 15-yard gain. His Eastern teammate, Nathan Overbay, had one catch for 41 yards.

"We've been impressed with him all week," said McShay. "He was the best quarterback out of the six here (in practice) on Wednesday (Jan. 20) and Thursday (Jan. 21). He was a little nervous coming in, but he settled down and had a good week of practice. Scouts want to see how he performs under pressure when the lights are on."

The head coach for the west, veteran NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, had this to say during an in-game interview: "I like him very much -- he has a lot of skill."

"It was an experience I was fortunate to get," said Nichols the week after on the Dennis Patchin Radio Show in Spokane. "The scouts were watching everything you do all day long. It was a long week and pretty stressful.

"It's like playing games four or five days in a row. It was a pretty intense situation where everybody is trying to prove they are good enough to play. We went at game speed all day long."

Despite having his stock rise in recent weeks, he still has not received an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine which takes place Feb. 24 to March 2 in Indianapolis, Ind. That event helps evaluate about 300 players for the 2010 NFL Draft which takes place on April 22-24 in New York. Both Nichols and Overbay, who also has not received an invitation, are possible late-round choices or free agent prospects.

"That would be a big deal for me to be able to go and prove myself," said Nichols. "I'm training as if I am going to the combine, and if I don't, we have our pro day on March 12 to aim for."

"They may be the best pro prospects of these six quarterbacks (at the Shrine Game)," said McShay, referring to Nichols and Northwestern's Mike Kafka. "After watching (Nichols) throughout the week, you would think he would get the invite."

Dude-I wholeheartedly agree the defense needs to get better and it wouldn't matter who is at QB with a defense that has been like ours, if your goal is to win the BSC.
I am not bashing Russ Hill, merely pointing out some shortcomings that I have seen of someone playing the most important position on the team.
My point about being a Lewis recruit ( I'm not knocking Lewis by the way) refers to the recruiting at the QB position by Zamberlin and Co. I you read what I said. The QB's that were here were from Lewis regime. In his first year he didn't have time to grab high level QB. Also rember a kid named Codi Boek? We had him as a freshman in 2006-7 I believe and he left ISU for urgent and necessary family matters. We lost a top recruit at the QB spot on the roster. If he had been in the stable of QB's, I will tell you that the odds are, we wouldn't be talking about the adventures of Russ Hill. Boek was very much a 'prototypical' QB for the spread that we went to.
But, that is history and coulda woulda shoulda. My point is that we were left without a top QB recruit due to unfortunate set of circumstances and we didn't replenish the position with the same quality. Mozzachi and Blum were respectable QB's but not #1's at the BSC level.
Z has had plenty of time to bring in a QB 'to his liking/standard/desire', perhaps this is the year we attained it. Only time will tell. I believe Earley's presence will help our situation with his experience.

I like the Galloway kid and his moxie and perserverance. I am just bummed out that he can't be with us thru the spring session because it would really create competetion for the position which is really needed in order to RAISE THE BAR and QUALITY OF PLAY. He will be under the 8 ball to learn the system and generate the much needed rapport with the offense, especially the WR's.

Roar's reference to EWU's Nichols is spot on. That is an example of the caliber of play we are up against in the BSC. Nichols will be on a roster at the beginning of camp with a chance to make it. What are we faced with?

I think that Coach Z has made mistakes. I don't think that he in any way was trying to pass off the blame. ISU needs to give Coach Z time he is not continuing on with a program but rebuilding a broken and beat one. Sit back and give him time.

Latest posts

Back