More Football Funding Drama

Discussions about Portland State Viking Football go in here.
Post Reply
ManOfVision
Posts: 1885
Joined: August 19th, 2006, 1:23 pm
Location: Portland

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We need a new football stadium!
User avatar
martymoose
Moderator
Posts: 4782
Joined: August 20th, 2006, 11:16 am

I realize that Canzano has a beef with Hersh (e.g. listen to their last radio interview) and may have an agenda, but I think that Hersh's true colors are starting to show. When you're hired to market a product, it's typically a bad idea to badmouth that product in the media.

Something really stinks about the whole golf tournament thing. :thumbdown:
User avatar
Pounder
Posts: 853
Joined: August 18th, 2006, 4:44 pm
Location: Amongst All The Green

martymoose wrote:I realize that Canzano has a beef with Hersh (e.g. listen to their last radio interview) and may have an agenda, but I think that Hersh's true colors are starting to show. When you're hired to market a product, it's typically a bad idea to badmouth that product in the media.

Something really stinks about the whole golf tournament thing. :thumbdown:
No, Hersh's true colors have shown throughout. That's part of the issue, but not the whole issue.

I could easily characterize Hersh- and Burton- as desperate. Burton for his future, Hersh for the program's future. They're both right to be desperate. In this case, Hersh happens to be penny-wise and pound-foolish... though the optics of hotel stays before HOME games might favor Hersh in the general community. Burton has some serious detractors, and Hersh doesn't exactly "stress-test" well.
ManOfVision
Posts: 1885
Joined: August 19th, 2006, 1:23 pm
Location: Portland

What percentage of the administrative duties have actually been outsourced to Hersh? It's one thing to be in charge of promotions and ticket sales, but I get the feeling that he's actually doing more than that, as if PSU is getting more than it bargained for (and not in a good way).
We need a new football stadium!
VikHoops
Posts: 121
Joined: December 22nd, 2012, 11:12 pm
Favorite School: Portland State

Hersh's plan is finally becoming clear to me. With everything seemingly riding on increasing the number of people buying tickets. So, here's the plan: 1) Increase ticket prices of the product people already don't seem to have interest in. 2) Talk negatively in the media about the exact same product that you're trying to sell. 3) It's okay, because they will most likely sell out the stadium with the draw of watching a guy eat a lot of hotdogs or bringing back the turkey promotion that didn't seem to work last year. This is brilliant.

This whole Hersh thing is so bad. If I wasn't a huge Vikings fan, I would find it entertaining how badly this is being handled. Unfortunately, there is way too much riding on this for it to be funny.
bigskyconf
Posts: 1786
Joined: September 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Favorite School: portland state

Hersh has always seemed to be one to take the credit when things succeed, but place blame on others when they do not. His track record not only here but in Memphis and Florida speak volumes towards his true colors. Funny how he was talking a different tune back in July,

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports ... land-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this guy is fighting for us, I don't want to meet those people who are fighting against us. It just seems to me like Wiewel brought this guy on to make sure the athletic department is run in to the ground.
User avatar
BroadwayVik
Posts: 1270
Joined: April 16th, 2008, 12:58 pm
Favorite School: Portland State University

I think Canzano raised some good issues and questions.

-Portland State University does need to be unified. All efforts need to be geared to integrate and the spirit of infighting and discordance needs to be done away with once and for all.

-Is David Hersh behaving honorably in good faith or not? Audit his work objectively. Get to the bottom of this, find out and either dismiss him or give him full support, whichever is merited IN TRUTH (not through PR tactics on perception).

-Torre Chisholm moving on may just be that he has a real chance to be AD at a great school like UCSB, his alma mater. It may or may not be connected to any turmoil, real or manufactured.

-OC Barnum needs to convert 3rd downs. He thus far appears inadequate to run successful offenses as his poor record indicates. Now that we have Jaime Hill as DC, we likely need to upgrade our OC as well. Either Barnum breaks out soon or, I say, ditch his bloody bones on the next freeway off-ramp.

Image Seriously needs to get his ship together before the ship hits the fans.
Great university for Portland, OR --
Evolve in merger -->
ImageImage
ImageImage
Vanport College('46) -> Oregon Ship('48) -> Portland State College('55) -> Portland State University('69) -> The Oregon Inst of Science, Technology and the Arts.
bigskyconf
Posts: 1786
Joined: September 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Favorite School: portland state

BroadwayVik wrote:-Is David Hersh behaving honorably in good faith or not? Audit his work objectively. Get to the bottom of this, find out and either dismiss him or give him full support, whichever is merited IN TRUTH (not through PR tactics on perception).
At this point we are married to Hersh, like it or not. If we were to buy out his contract, it would wipe out the whole athletic budget.

One factor not brought up in the article. PSU football ranks 13th out of 13 teams in the Big Sky in terms of local coverage. That has nothing to do with the success or failure of the football team, but the willful disregard of all the media outlets in the city. Any salesperson will tell you that it is extremely difficult to sell a product when people don't know anything about the product.
pdxfan
Posts: 1008
Joined: April 7th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Favorite School: PSU
Location: Portland/Tigard

For a long time I thought the Oregonian's "willful" disregard" of PSU was just that. Now I don't think so. They've made an editorial policy to cover ONLY UO/OSU Pac-12 and the professional teams because they're covered thoroughly and regularly by national media and thus get a double hit in selling advertising. They assume readers only follow where national media guides them. They may be right.
bigskyconf
Posts: 1786
Joined: September 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Favorite School: portland state

pdxfan wrote:For a long time I thought the Oregonian's "willful" disregard" of PSU was just that. Now I don't think so. They've made an editorial policy to cover ONLY UO/OSU Pac-12 and the professional teams because they're covered thoroughly and regularly by national media and thus get a double hit in selling advertising. They assume readers only follow where national media guides them. They may be right.
It is widely known in the circles I run in that your diehard Duck and Beaver fan needs to be spoon-fed information. The diehard Vik fan knows how to dig for information. :lol: :thumb:
VikHoops
Posts: 121
Joined: December 22nd, 2012, 11:12 pm
Favorite School: Portland State

The website says they are giving away a new car for every td at the Cal Davis game. PSU scores and someone wins a car. My guess is, when you never receive the car, Hersh claims that he already delivered it to you. When you ask where your car is again, he responds with, "What do you mean I owe you a car? We're undisciplined! 18 penalties is way too many!"
bigskyconf
Posts: 1786
Joined: September 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm
Favorite School: portland state

VikHoops wrote:The website says they are giving away a new car for every td at the Cal Davis game. PSU scores and someone wins a car. My guess is, when you never receive the car, Hersh claims that he already delivered it to you. When you ask where your car is again, he responds with, "What do you mean I owe you a car? We're undisciplined! 18 penalties is way too many!"
Actually you will get a car. Then Hersh will bill the football team for all the cars that were given away. After all, if they didn't want to give all those cars away, they should not have scored all those touchdowns. Two touchdowns should always be enough to win.
Viktorious
Posts: 88
Joined: October 7th, 2012, 12:21 am
Favorite School: University of Oregon

He should have gone for every field goals made :roll:
Post Reply

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Weber State