• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2024 Big Sky Tournament

Super Hornet 2.0

2024 Big Sky Men's Basketball Tournament
at Boise, ID

First Round
SAT 09 MAR 24

10 Sac State (8-23, 4-14 Big Sky) vs. 9 Idaho (11-20, 5-13 Big Sky) 1630 PST ESPN+; winner vs. 1 E. Washington

8 ID State (12-19, 7-11 Big Sky) vs. 7 N. Arizona (14-18, 7-11) 1900 PST ESPN+ ; winner vs. 2 N. Colorado

Second Round
SUN 10 MAR 24

SAC-ID winner vs. 1 E. Washington (21-10, 15-3 Big Sky) 1630 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. WEB-MSU winner

ISU-NAU winner vs. 2 N. Colorado (19-12, 12-6 Big Sky) 1900 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. MT-PSU winner

Third Round
MON 11 MAR 24

5 MT State (14-17, 9-9 Big Sky) vs. 4 Weber State (20-11, 11-7 Big Sky) 1630 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. EWU 2nd round game winner

6 Portland State (17-14, 8-10 Big Sky) vs. 3 Montana (21-10, 12-6 Big Sky) 1900 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. UNC 2nd round game winner

Semifinals
TUES 12 MAR 24
Both games on ESPNU and ESPN+

Finals
WED 13 MAR 24
ESPN2 and ESPN+

Trying to force myself to watch this men’s team lol - haven’t caught where Powell is the last couple games? Don’t see him on bench today either.

2024 Big Sky Women's Basketball Tournament
at Boise, ID

First Round
SAT 09 MAR 24

9 Weber State (8-24, 4-14 Big Sky) d. 10 Portland State (8-23, 3-15 Big Sky) 62-53

8 Sacramento State (6-24, 4-14 Big Sky) d. 7 ID State (11-20, 7-11 Big Sky) 73-55*

*Per CS.com, ID State led by one point entering the 4th quarter. Just look at that final spread. :eek:

**EDIT: Per Yahoo Sports, this is true. Our beloved Lady Hornets closed with a 28-9 4th quarter. Benthe Versteeg posted a double-double (13 pts, 12 asst.); Lina Falk dropped 17; Irune Orio led the way with 19; Summer Hanson just missed a double-double (12 pts, 9 reb).

Second Round
SUN 10 MAR 24

9 Weber State (8-24, 4-14 Big Sky) vs. 1 E. Washington (26-5, 16-2 Big Sky) 1100 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. MSU-UNC winner

8 Sac State (6-24, 4-14 Big Sky) vs. 2 N. Arizona (23-8, 15-3 Big Sky) 1330 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. MT-ISU winner

Third Round
MON 11 MAR 24

5 N. Colorado (15-14, 10-8 Big Sky) vs. 4 MT State (16-15, 10-8 Big Sky) 1100 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. WSU-EWU winner

6 Idaho (15-15, 8-10 Big Sky) vs. 3 Montana (21-8, 13-5 Big Sky) 1330 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. SAC-NAU winner

Semifinals
TUE 12 MAR 24

WSU-EWU winner vs. MSU-UNC winner 1100 PDT ESPN+

SAC-NAU winner vs. ID-MT winner 1330 PDT ESPN+

Finals
WED 13 MAR 24
1400 PDT ESPNU and ESPN+

WBB looked pretty strong today. Good flow and sound defense as they turn a close game into a 4th quarter 28-9 route of ISU. 4 Hornets scored in double digits as a barrage of 3 pointers and a 17-3 run to close the final 4:34 of the game sealed the victory. The Hornets have won 4 straight BSCT games with the win. This is a very young team, if Kallhoff can bring in some depth (and not lose anyone to the portal) this will be a very competitive team for the foreseeable future.

MBB did what they needed to do against an evenly matched opponent. The Hornets really could have blown this game open by halftime but went cold from the field. Idaho had nothing other than some alley-oops to one of their bigs. Some solid ball movement and decent defense got the job done. Nunn (14 pts) looked good and Mawein (25 pts) had a career day. Good to see this team go out on a bit of a high note to close the season.

Agree on the future of the women’s team if they can keep their players. Mawein and Nunn had career games yesterday and for one of the few times this season the Hornets had less turnovers than their opponent. For next season to be better turnovers have to come down. Only six teams out of 350 D1 teams had more turnovers. Had heard Powell had an injury, but thought he would be ready for the tournament. Concerning he was not with the team yesterday. He is probably the biggest target of other teams that have NIL money. Don’t like the continued direction of college basketball and football. On game day yesterday they were discussing a new tournament in the fall in Vegas that will invite 8 teams next season and then 16 the following year. Each team gets $1 million and the winner $2 million and the money is split by the players thru the NIL collective. What a recruiting advantage for those teams invited and what good players on other teams are not going to want to transfer to one of those team? I think the talent level is already down in the Big Sky and it will only worsen.

2024 Big Sky Women's Basketball Tournament
at Boise, ID

Second Round
SUN 10 MAR 24

1 E. Washington (27-5, 16-2 Big Sky) d. 9 Weber State (8-25, 4-14 Big Sky) 71-58

2 N. Arizona (24-8, 15-3 Big Sky) d. 8 Sac State (6-25, 4-14 Big Sky) 81-63

* This was a story of two halves; we won the first, NAU won the second. Hanson finished the season with a double-double (15 pts, 11 boards), and Versteeg led Hornet scorers with 19. Our entry sheet was likely a bit longer due to a couple of starters in foul trouble: Falk fouled out while Amusan racked up four. Orio dropped 14 points. Defense was the issue as four Lumberjills scored in double figures, while Sophie Glancey had 30. They had a pair foul out, and therefore had a longer entry list.

I'm hoping that the lasting impact of the first round is that improvement continues in the off-season and we move up the table next season.

Third Round
MON 11 MAR 24

5 N. Colorado (15-14, 10-8 Big Sky) vs. 4 MT State (16-15, 10-8 Big Sky) 1100 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. WSU-EWU winner

6 Idaho (15-15, 8-10 Big Sky) vs. 3 Montana (21-8, 13-5 Big Sky) 1330 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. SAC-NAU winner

Semifinals
TUE 12 MAR 24

1 E. Washington (27-5, 16-2 Big Sky) vs. MSU-UNC winner 1100 PDT ESPN+

2 N. Arizona (24-8, 15-3 Big Sky) vs. ID-MT winner 1330 PDT ESPN+

Finals
WED 13 MAR 24
1400 PDT ESPNU and ESPN+

at Boise, ID

First Round
SAT 09 MAR 24

10 Sac State (9-23, 4-14 Big Sky) d. 9 Idaho (11-21, 5-13 Big Sky) 72-64

8 ID State (13-19, 7-11 Big Sky) d. 7 N. Arizona (14-19 7-11) 68-60

*Mawein drops 25 and Nunn 14. ID also had a pair in double figures.

Second Round
SUN 10 MAR 24

10 Sac State (9-23, 4-14 Big Sky) leads 1 E. Washington (21-10, 15-3 Big Sky) 33-30 1:11 1H

8 ID State (13-19, 7-11 Big Sky) vs. 2 N. Colorado (19-12, 12-6 Big Sky) 1900 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. MT-PSU winner

Third Round
MON 11 MAR 24

5 MT State (14-17, 9-9 Big Sky) vs. 4 Weber State (20-11, 11-7 Big Sky) 1630 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. EWU 2nd round game winner

6 Portland State (17-14, 8-10 Big Sky) vs. 3 Montana (21-10, 12-6 Big Sky) 1900 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. UNC 2nd round game winner

Semifinals
TUES 12 MAR 24
Both games on ESPNU and ESPN+

Finals
WED 13 MAR 24
ESPN2 and ESPN+

at Boise, ID

Second Round
SUN 10 MAR 24

10 Sac State (10-23, 4-14 Big Sky) d. 1 E. Washington (21-11, 15-3 Big Sky) 74-69
8 ID State (13-19, 7-11 Big Sky) vs. 2 N. Colorado (19-12, 12-6 Big Sky) 1900 PDT ESPN+; winner vs. MT-PSU winner

*Hornets lead throughout. Hamoda leads Hornet scorers and seals the win with a steal. We had players in foul trouble, but I don't think anyone actually fouled out; EWU started getting in foul trouble late. We had some key free throws late to shut the door on the Eagles. Points: Hamoda 19, Mawein 17, Nunn 11. Patterson had 9 boards, and Beatty 8. Next up: the Semifinals!

Third Round
MON 11 MAR 24

Semifinals
TUES 12 MAR 24

10 Sac State (10-23, 4-14 Big Sky) vs. MSU-WSU winner 1730 PDT ESPNU and ESPN+
ISU-UNC winner vs. MT-PSU winner 2000 PDT ESPN2 and ESPN+

Finals
WED 13 MAR 24
ESPN2 and ESPN+

Greenteam said:
Agree on the future of the women’s team if they can keep their players. Mawein and Nunn had career games yesterday and for one of the few times this season the Hornets had less turnovers than their opponent. For next season to be better turnovers have to come down. Only six teams out of 350 D1 teams had more turnovers. Had heard Powell had an injury, but thought he would be ready for the tournament. Concerning he was not with the team yesterday. He is probably the biggest target of other teams that have NIL money. Don’t like the continued direction of college basketball and football. On game day yesterday they were discussing a new tournament in the fall in Vegas that will invite 8 teams next season and then 16 the following year. Each team gets $1 million and the winner $2 million and the money is split by the players thru the NIL collective. What a recruiting advantage for those teams invited and what good players on other teams are not going to want to transfer to one of those team? I think the talent level is already down in the Big Sky and it will only worsen.

As much as it pains me to say this, the Hornets have been playing a lot better without him...

...and the Hornets knock off top seed EWU, 74-69. This is the first time MBB has won a 2nd game at a neural site BSCT. Wow. :shock: :clap:

WBB lost against 2nd seed NAU, 63-81. It was a tight game until late in the 3rd quarter, Hornets just looked like they ran out of gas. Coach Kallhoff did an excellent job turning this program around mid-way through the season. Lots of momentum for this program heading into the offseason. WBB finishes the year 6-25 (5-15 BSC).

peegeepee said:
Kadeezy said:
Joe Cravens loves Beatty and Nunn 😂

Eventually, you will too....

Hey, huge improvements from both since February! Skytta and Kovatchev are above average defenders, but holy crap - their shooting has been atrocious. What is up with them?

I'll admit I haven't paid close enough attention this season, but If Betson gets a medical RS, will this squad bring everyone back (portal pending) except for Mawein?

Getting Adams and KKCD back healthy would be huge. Sounds like Powell may have left the team? With another year of development, this thing could turn around in DP's favor over the next couple seasons with...

PG Nunn/Adams/Betson?
G Patterson/Skytta/Wilson/Vaughns
G Hamoda/Kovatchex
F Powell/Dioramma?
C Beatty/Holt

Kadeezy said:
I'll admit I haven't paid close enough attention this season, but If Betson gets a medical RS, will this squad bring everyone back (portal pending) except for Mawein?

Getting Adams and KKCD back healthy would be huge. Sounds like Powell may have left the team? With another year of development, this thing could turn around in DP's favor over the next couple seasons with...

PG Nunn/Adams/Betson?
G Hamoda/Kovatchex
F Powell/Dioramma?
C Beatty/Holt

Where are you hearing that Powell left the team? Betson is gone though. You can take him off your 2 deep. Agree that Nunn should run the point next season with Skytta coming off the bench for 5-8 minutes. Mawein is playing like an absolute monster in this tournament. Was hoping we'd see that earlier this season. Oh well, better late than never.

Think tomorrow will come down to turnovers and whichever teams shoots better on three’s. Looking forward to when all the players with extra years have finally finished their eligibility. Montana State’s point guard Ford is the best guard in the conference but it is his sixth season. They also have two fifth year seniors in their rotation and two fourth year juniors that will most likely return for a fifth season.

SDHornet said:
Kadeezy said:

PG Nunn/Adams/Betson?
G Hamoda/Kovatchex
F Powell/Dioramma?
C Beatty/Holt

Where are you hearing that Powell left the team? Betson is gone though. You can take him off your 2 deep. Agree that Nunn should run the point next season with Skytta coming off the bench for 5-8 minutes. Mawein is playing like an absolute monster in this tournament. Was hoping we'd see that earlier this season. Oh well, better late than never.

See how close I’ve been following :rofl: - I only was going off the way Joe Cravens was framing Powell’s absence on the game 1 and 2 broadcasts. He made it sound like Powell might be gone for good a couple times when referencing him.

My take on this season is this. Early this year, Patrick was going with Betson, Hamoda and Powell as the offensive weapons (Mawein was knicked and couldnt play big minutes). Betson was either turning the ball over or shooting, very little playmaking from him. Hamoda was forced into handling the ball way too much and he was turning the ball over even more than Betson. Powell was getting his points off the boards or on the rare occasion that Betson entered the ball to the post. Somewhere, Betson went south and Skytta was drafted into the point role. He did a good job of cleaning up the turnover situation partially but had no outside shot so the defense started backing off him and packing the paint. He did defend and he is really athletic. If he can develope a dependable outside shot, he will be a good piece to stick in at point and some 2 guard. I think Powell got knicked up sometime late Jan or early Feb as his stats tanked. Patrick was forced to play the freshmen more and more, first Wilson got a decent run at backup point then, finally Nunn started to get minutes and has done a real good job at point in the last 7-8 games. He has been able to drive and dish better than anybody else we have which has opened up the offense a bunch. Hamoda was able to slide back over to shooting guard and not forced to handle the ball as much so his turnovers came down. All the while Mawein was getting healthy, Holt was playing hard and making an impact when he was in (has foul problems too often but they are hustle fouls), and Beatty was learning on the job the whole season. While Beatty hasnt got a go to move in the post yet, he has rebounded and defended decently for his weight. If he can put 20-25 lbs of muscle on his frame, I think he'll be a beast. For a 7' kid, he is pretty darn athletic and seems to have the desire to be good. Patterson, while he has always been sort of a steadying influence, has finally been positioned to get more shots off, which has opened up Hamoda for more open looks too. 3 pt shooting is a weak point at times but when it is on, we are hard to beat. For most of the season, Kovatchev has played great defense and rebounded far above what a 6' 4" guy usually does. His shot has far too little arch and he will have to work on that in the off season. If you watch close, you can almost tell when he will make or miss by how much arch is on the shot, same with his free throws. All in all, I feel that, even if Powell leaves, the Hornets are positioned to be a threat next season and a champ contender the year after that. That's about all I can think of right now. The jury is still out on Patrick for me. He has recruited great but earlier this year I was having a hard time figuring out what his offensive plan was. It seems to have a better flow with Nunn running the point. First 2/3 of the season we lost a lot of games in single figures due to inexperience and just flat not knowing how to close out and WIN games. I'm hoping, these last 5 games has been an indication that they have finally figured out how to win. That might sound a little dumb but believe me, if you havent experience winning together, it is hard to crack the old habits of tightening up and choking off leads and games. Hey, we have a decent chance of pulling off a miracle. Let's do it Hornets.

Latest posts

Back