• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2024 Big Sky Tournament

peegeepee said:
My take on this season is this. Early this year, Patrick was going with Betson, Hamoda and Powell as the offensive weapons (Mawein was knicked and couldnt play big minutes). Betson was either turning the ball over or shooting, very little playmaking from him. Hamoda was forced into handling the ball way too much and he was turning the ball over even more than Betson. Powell was getting his points off the boards or on the rare occasion that Betson entered the ball to the post. Somewhere, Betson went south and Skytta was drafted into the point role. He did a good job of cleaning up the turnover situation partially but had no outside shot so the defense started backing off him and packing the paint. He did defend and he is really athletic. If he can develope a dependable outside shot, he will be a good piece to stick in at point and some 2 guard. I think Powell got knicked up sometime late Jan or early Feb as his stats tanked. Patrick was forced to play the freshmen more and more, first Wilson got a decent run at backup point then, finally Nunn started to get minutes and has done a real good job at point in the last 7-8 games. He has been able to drive and dish better than anybody else we have which has opened up the offense a bunch. Hamoda was able to slide back over to shooting guard and not forced to handle the ball as much so his turnovers came down. All the while Mawein was getting healthy, Holt was playing hard and making an impact when he was in (has foul problems too often but they are hustle fouls), and Beatty was learning on the job the whole season. While Beatty hasnt got a go to move in the post yet, he has rebounded and defended decently for his weight. If he can put 20-25 lbs of muscle on his frame, I think he'll be a beast. For a 7' kid, he is pretty darn athletic and seems to have the desire to be good. Patterson, while he has always been sort of a steadying influence, has finally been positioned to get more shots off, which has opened up Hamoda for more open looks too. 3 pt shooting is a weak point at times but when it is on, we are hard to beat. For most of the season, Kovatchev has played great defense and rebounded far above what a 6' 4" guy usually does. His shot has far too little arch and he will have to work on that in the off season. If you watch close, you can almost tell when he will make or miss by how much arch is on the shot, same with his free throws. All in all, I feel that, even if Powell leaves, the Hornets are positioned to be a threat next season and a champ contender the year after that. That's about all I can think of right now. The jury is still out on Patrick for me. He has recruited great but earlier this year I was having a hard time figuring out what his offensive plan was. It seems to have a better flow with Nunn running the point. First 2/3 of the season we lost a lot of games in single figures due to inexperience and just flat not knowing how to close out and WIN games. I'm hoping, these last 5 games has been an indication that they have finally figured out how to win. That might sound a little dumb but believe me, if you havent experience winning together, it is hard to crack the old habits of tightening up and choking off leads and games. Hey, we have a decent chance of pulling off a miracle. Let's do it Hornets.

I think Patrick has done a great job recruiting fresh talent -- I think he has missed a bit in the Portal. I think Betson's previous stops should have been red flags four teams in four years prior to us

While Powell is one of the best offensive rebounders I have seen in a long time, he was basically our leading scorer most of the year with putbacks and dunks. He's a great piece to a team, but at certain points this year we were playing through him and it just didn't work.

Mawein the last few games looks both confident and healthy for the first time in his Hornet career. Sure, he was almost a double figure scorer last year, but I wouldn't say those were confident shots most of the time. This year there was a time where he was unable to practice but still playing somehow for a few minutes. Over time he's gotten healthy, and because he has nothing to lose, I think we are seeing the Akol that must have impressed the previous OU staff when he was dominating at the JC level.

Beatty is the big get in my eyes -- he's still growing. According to the staff he is close to 7'2" now and has grown over an inch since the season started. He has confidence in himself to knock down threes and is has a very soft touch all of a sudden from everywhere. I did not think this was possible early in the year, but I think he was just rushing everything and the game has finally slowed down for him.

I think the Australians have bonded and have been playing well as a unit, and as Nunn becomes more confident, he can really grow into something if he gets some consistency with his shot (the free throw shooting between Nunn and Kovatchev has been an adventure).

With these guys doing what they can to contribute offensively, Zee has been able to expend more energy on defense, where he is incredibly valuable to us. Skytta can guard four positions and really steadies the offense and knows how to make it work. He reminds me a lot of the backup point guard you often see in the Euro League, who plays defense as hard as he can for 15-20 minutes -- flows the offense and never shoots. I know he needs to keep the defense honest, but I think for now we hope a summer spent shooting with Loren Leath will provide some dividends.

stingthemgood said:
peegeepee said:
My take on this season is this. Early this year, Patrick was going with Betson, Hamoda and Powell as the offensive weapons (Mawein was knicked and couldnt play big minutes). Betson was either turning the ball over or shooting, very little playmaking from him. Hamoda was forced into handling the ball way too much and he was turning the ball over even more than Betson. Powell was getting his points off the boards or on the rare occasion that Betson entered the ball to the post. Somewhere, Betson went south and Skytta was drafted into the point role. He did a good job of cleaning up the turnover situation partially but had no outside shot so the defense started backing off him and packing the paint. He did defend and he is really athletic. If he can develope a dependable outside shot, he will be a good piece to stick in at point and some 2 guard. I think Powell got knicked up sometime late Jan or early Feb as his stats tanked. Patrick was forced to play the freshmen more and more, first Wilson got a decent run at backup point then, finally Nunn started to get minutes and has done a real good job at point in the last 7-8 games. He has been able to drive and dish better than anybody else we have which has opened up the offense a bunch. Hamoda was able to slide back over to shooting guard and not forced to handle the ball as much so his turnovers came down. All the while Mawein was getting healthy, Holt was playing hard and making an impact when he was in (has foul problems too often but they are hustle fouls), and Beatty was learning on the job the whole season. While Beatty hasnt got a go to move in the post yet, he has rebounded and defended decently for his weight. If he can put 20-25 lbs of muscle on his frame, I think he'll be a beast. For a 7' kid, he is pretty darn athletic and seems to have the desire to be good. Patterson, while he has always been sort of a steadying influence, has finally been positioned to get more shots off, which has opened up Hamoda for more open looks too. 3 pt shooting is a weak point at times but when it is on, we are hard to beat. For most of the season, Kovatchev has played great defense and rebounded far above what a 6' 4" guy usually does. His shot has far too little arch and he will have to work on that in the off season. If you watch close, you can almost tell when he will make or miss by how much arch is on the shot, same with his free throws. All in all, I feel that, even if Powell leaves, the Hornets are positioned to be a threat next season and a champ contender the year after that. That's about all I can think of right now. The jury is still out on Patrick for me. He has recruited great but earlier this year I was having a hard time figuring out what his offensive plan was. It seems to have a better flow with Nunn running the point. First 2/3 of the season we lost a lot of games in single figures due to inexperience and just flat not knowing how to close out and WIN games. I'm hoping, these last 5 games has been an indication that they have finally figured out how to win. That might sound a little dumb but believe me, if you havent experience winning together, it is hard to crack the old habits of tightening up and choking off leads and games. Hey, we have a decent chance of pulling off a miracle. Let's do it Hornets.

I think Patrick has done a great job recruiting fresh talent -- I think he has missed a bit in the Portal. I think Betson's previous stops should have been red flags four teams in four years prior to us

While Powell is one of the best offensive rebounders I have seen in a long time, he was basically our leading scorer most of the year with putbacks and dunks. He's a great piece to a team, but at certain points this year we were playing through him and it just didn't work.

Mawein the last few games looks both confident and healthy for the first time in his Hornet career. Sure, he was almost a double figure scorer last year, but I wouldn't say those were confident shots most of the time. This year there was a time where he was unable to practice but still playing somehow for a few minutes. Over time he's gotten healthy, and because he has nothing to lose, I think we are seeing the Akol that must have impressed the previous OU staff when he was dominating at the JC level.

Beatty is the big get in my eyes -- he's still growing. According to the staff he is close to 7'2" now and has grown over an inch since the season started. He has confidence in himself to knock down threes and is has a very soft touch all of a sudden from everywhere. I did not think this was possible early in the year, but I think he was just rushing everything and the game has finally slowed down for him.

I think the Australians have bonded and have been playing well as a unit, and as Nunn becomes more confident, he can really grow into something if he gets some consistency with his shot (the free throw shooting between Nunn and Kovatchev has been an adventure).

With these guys doing what they can to contribute offensively, Zee has been able to expend more energy on defense, where he is incredibly valuable to us. Skytta can guard four positions and really steadies the offense and knows how to make it work. He reminds me a lot of the backup point guard you often see in the Euro League, who plays defense as hard as he can for 15-20 minutes -- flows the offense and never shoots. I know he needs to keep the defense honest, but I think for now we hope a summer spent shooting with Loren Leath will provide some dividends.

This all lines up pretty much the same as what I see. Beatty needs to perfect a little hook shot with either hand. Nunn's FTs have gotten much better with more minutes but Kovatchev needs to abandon the line drive shots and get more arc on his shots. You got to get it over the front rim to give it a chance of going in. Holt has improved a lot during this season IMO but I agree with you on Beatty. Unusually athletic for a big.

It's over. Sac got an offensive board after a missed layup with 1 sec left, but then lost it on a steal.

Sac loses 74-71. Fought hard, though. Not what you'd expect from a team with our record. I think that bodes well for next year if we can find the right coach.

Tonight’s game was lost at the free throw line. After a real poor season the Hornets showed some promise. Agree with the above takes. If the young players can improve some of their deficiencies next season could be a step up. Maybe it was the urgency of the season ending but the last few games the team appeared to play with more defensive effort. Turnovers came down a bit also. The emphasis on the portal should be to find a dynamic ball handler who can create a shot and put pressure on the defensive. Ford from Montana State would be a good example.

peegeepee said:
stingthemgood said:
peegeepee said:

This all lines up pretty much the same as what I see. Beatty needs to perfect a little hook shot with either hand. Nunn's FTs have gotten much better with more minutes but Kovatchev needs to abandon the line drive shots and get more arc on his shots. You got to get it over the front rim to give it a chance of going in. Holt has improved a lot during this season IMO but I agree with you on Beatty. Unusually athletic for a big.

Great posts and insight. Thank you both for posting.

Greenteam said:
Tonight’s game was lost at the free throw line. After a real poor season the Hornets showed some promise. Agree with the above takes. If the young players can improve some of their deficiencies next season could be a step up. Maybe it was the urgency of the season ending but the last few games the team appeared to play with more defensive effort. Turnovers came down a bit also. The emphasis on the portal should be to find a dynamic ball handler who can create a shot and put pressure on the defensive. Ford from Montana State would be a good example.

Eh, I dunno. IMO we were fortunate to be in it that late. We fell behind big, twice (14 early and then 12 I think), if not for some sloppy MSU play the Hornets are never close late in the game. There were a lot of lapses on defense by the Hornets that gifted MSU easy points. That said, yes, the Hornets need to take advantage of opportunities when they are there. Holt missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and the Hamoda did as well. Great play by DP and his staff to get a look by Hamoda for the potential tie late. Gritty performance by the team, total redemption on the season IMO.

Hornets lose a tough battle in the semi-finals, 71-74 to Montana State. A torrid start to the game by both teams eventually transitioned into a 14 point Hornet deficit that the Hornets were chasing the rest of the game.  Even with the significant deficient, the Hornets had multiple chances to squeak ahead but couldn't take advantage of the opportunities. The Hornets showed tremendous grit and fought to the closing seconds. The Hornets close the season 10-24 (6-15 BSC).

I'm very proud of the way Coach DP, his staff and his players were able to turn things around these last few weeks and put together a historical performance in the BSCT, which IMO redeemed the season. As much as I was down on this program this year, it all came together at the most critical time of the season.  At the tournament, Coach DP looked poised and in control as opposed to some of his more frantic moments I witnessed in the Nest earlier this season. There were some quality plays drawn up off the inbound pass that were quite impressive. One of which was that final play for the potential game tying shot to Hamoda at the end of the MSU game. The shot was there, it just didn't drop.

I was on the fence about renewing my season tickets next season, and was leaning slightly toward renewing given the Well situation. With this performance in the BSCT, I'll for sure renew them. If this program can build off of this recent success, 2024-25 will be an exciting season.

Stingers Up!

SDHornet said:
Hornets lose a tough battle in the semi-finals, 71-74 to Montana State. A torrid start to the game by both teams eventually transitioned into a 14 point Hornet deficit that the Hornets were chasing the rest of the game.  Even with the significant deficient, the Hornets had multiple chances to squeak ahead but couldn't take advantage of the opportunities. The Hornets showed tremendous grit and fought to the closing seconds. The Hornets close the season 10-24 (6-15 BSC).

I'm very proud of the way Coach DP, his staff and his players were able to turn things around these last few weeks and put together a historical performance in the BSCT, which IMO redeemed the season. As much as I was down on this program this year, it all came together at the most critical time of the season.  At the tournament, Coach DP looked poised and in control as opposed to some of his more frantic moments I witnessed in the Nest earlier this season. There were some quality plays drawn up off the inbound pass that were quite impressive. One of which was that final play for the potential game tying shot to Hamoda at the end of the MSU game. The shot was there, it just didn't drop.

I was on the fence about renewing my season tickets next season, and was leaning slightly toward renewing given the Well situation. With this performance in the BSCT, I'll for sure renew them. If this program can build off of this recent success, 2024-25 will be an exciting season.

Stingers Up!

I was down on them this year too - for good reason. It was bad basketball.

Like you said, the squads showed balls the last couple weeks and gave me hope. Coaching was better as you said too.

My kids even got into the run and we watched Hornet basketball all week on the big TV instead of on my phone lol. A sign of progress!

During the 11 game losing streak, we were definitely the worst team in the BSC. After that debacle, we became a top 4 or 5 team in the BSC. If DP can keep this core group together for next season, add a piece or 2, we can be a contender next year. This could be the biggest turnaround I've ever seen any team make this deep into a season. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy!!!! I just remembered, we have 2 more Aussies coming in next year, 6'5" SG, Lachlan Brewer and 6'6" SG, Deonte Williams. Hope they are as good as this last group. From these vids, Brewer seems to get his shot off quick and seems to be a better 3 pt shooter, Williams is a JC transfer so he should be a bit more polished but both have great size for their positions.

Here are a couple vids of these recruits...https://youtu.be/kzBrO9bI0VA?si=VtCR7Pmf_TN5RbYu

https://youtu.be/AEYzFkekCPo?si=sP83B8BejB85s_05

Latest posts

Back