• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New paint on court

Blofeld

So it looks like for sure there is a new paint job on the floor. You can kind of see it barely in a couple of the volleyball pictures on the webpage.

So, if anyone from the athletic department reads this board how about throwing up a few pictures of the new floor?

From what I can tell it will look great! Logo at midcourt, boarders and key painted blue with Big Sky logos in the key also. Very nice.

1403126.jpeg

1395897.jpeg

From what I can tell with the way you rip administration and the coaching staff why should they aid you and put pictures up of the new floor? I'm sure it could be done, but you never cut them any slack and just want to continue to bury the team and the department at every turn.

With such negativity it's no wonder the teams and department is having as difficult time as they are. If you on this board are suppose to be the friends and allies of the program, I'd hate to meet the enemy.

You continue to focus on the negative on weekly basis and only go with the preconceived notions that have already been formed.

If you and the rest of the message board were more positive perhaps someone with the athletic department would be more interested in listening to you.

Wow, where to start...

The program deserves criticism!

Do you work for a living? Does your boss permit you to fail at your job without comment?

Blofeld is a bit harsh but he has passion and he actually cares.. unlike the tens of thousands out there who couldn't be bothered to pay attention.

What have they done recently for Blofeld to comment favorably upon?

It seems to me he did find something to get excited about and actually tried to spread the word.

Clueless...

I hate to break it to you and the rest of the message board but your are not the boss and have no say and never will to what goes on with the athletic department. You can vent, bitch and moan and it will never do anything to sway a decision one way or another. You are fans in names only since all you do is criticize and complain. When you are true fans of a team you attempt to support them when things are at the worst and don't kick a program when it is down. Like I said you are fans in name only without truly understanding what it means.

The positive is always a struggle but true fans can find it. How about the fact the football team has gotten better every game throughout the season while playing mostly underclassman? Or how about the fact the entire athletic department continues to fight on despite working on a fraction of the budget and with less facilities (no fieldhouse or weight room specifically for football or any other sport for that matter) than anyone in the conference? How about the fact that anyone that has seen the football team or any of the other teams can tell they may not be as athletic as their opponents because the jump in Division hasn't quite caught up with teams yet, but they have never stop trying and are working just as hard now that they are 0-4 as they were when they started the season.

The positive is there if you and your kind every care to look for it instead of just piling on with the negative.

It's a two way street, fans are there to support but there is an obligation to give the effort and also respect the supporters. There is a sentiment out there that the athletic department as a whole is alienating fans... so I'd argue they are the ones that aren't true to the program letting us down like this.

And yes, as an alum it is my program. Hinrichs, Downing, whoever are just passing through, I'm the one that will be here forever. After Hinrichs gets fired do you think he'll stay in Greeley going to games and donating money? No, but I will like I always have...

I don't believe being a fan means you blindly support whatever happens... life isn't that simple. As humans we have a survival instinct and we want to compete and win. If you haven't ever worn a jockstrap you wouldn't understand that desire to compete an win.

bearsfan7778 said:
I hate to break it to you and the rest of the message board but your are not the boss and have no say and never will to what goes on with the athletic department. You can vent, bitch and moan and it will never do anything to sway a decision one way or another. You are fans in names only since all you do is criticize and complain.

Where to start on this? How about this:

I hate to break it to you and the rest of the message board but your are not the boss and have no say and never will to what goes on with the athletic department. Well. many on here donate to the Bears in one way or another. Some have even stopped donating so we do have a say. We also have a say by not buying tickets to the game. You can vent, bitch and moan and it will never do anything to sway a decision one way or another. Maybe, but this is a place where UNC fans can gather, some form around the country, and talk to other fans (since there are not a lot of us). It's the perfect place to vent the bad and celebrate the good. If you look at some of the other threads in the baseball forum and other sports there is a lot of good (most of it is lost on the old board). You are fans in names only since all you do is criticize and complain. Again, the football program has given lots to complain about but there has been a lot to celebrate and congratulate and we have done plenty of that as well. I am hoping the basketball teams give us a reason to be positive. 12 game losing streaks do bring out the bad in all of us.

I obviously don't know the complete history of what's gone on a UNC, but the athletic department should be held accountable for failing to put a quality product on the field/court. There should be strides taken to improve things and a good athletic department will listen to the fans. Obviously, they don't have to do everything that's requested, but I can say that here at WSU the fans and supporters have chimed in on what they feel should or could be done to make things better. If it's just the environment at the game or on the web or whatever. There have been a number of things that have happened over the past 5 years or so that I think could be because of fans and thier concerns and/or recommendations. Heck, we still criticize when we feel things need to be done differently. It's our money that goes into supporting these programs and the administration had better do what the can to make sure fans are having a good time and have something worth spending their money on.

I am a fan of the Bears teams, not the athletic department. If the athletic deparment does not think they have an obligation to fans, then this program will continue to head downhill. The athetic department exists for only two reasons: Student Athletes and Fans, and without one, the will not have the other.

Great job administration!! You are doing a great job!! We couldn't be prouder of what has come of the athletic department over the past 4 years.

Is that what you were after? :wink: We promise not to complain if you put out relevant useful info and winning teams. :lol:

So we support the soldiers (players) but not the war( The direction the Dept. is headed)? I had to get that one in. Bearsfan7778, since I am currently a student at UNC, I feel that I have every right to bitch about the state of things. (Trust me, I do it everytime I see my students athletic fees). The funny thing is that after I graduate, I plan on becoming a season ticket holder. The win/loss record of the team doesn't deter me, or anyone else on this site from being Bears. And because we are Bears, we care about our school, our teams, and our reputation. Would we like to see a winning record? Absolutely! But since we don't, we come on here to vent. It's probably healthier than taking it out on my family, or my dog.
Each one of us has different views on what is wrong with the program, it's called Monday Morning Quarterbacking. You made one good point, does the Athletic administration care about our concerns???...from the direction the programs are headed...probably not.

bearsfan7778 said:
I hate to break it to you and the rest of the message board but your are not the boss and have no say and never will to what goes on with the athletic department. You can vent, bitch and moan and it will never do anything to sway a decision one way or another. You are fans in names only since all you do is criticize and complain. When you are true fans of a team you attempt to support them when things are at the worst and don't kick a program when it is down. Like I said you are fans in name only without truly understanding what it means.

The positive is always a struggle but true fans can find it. How about the fact the football team has gotten better every game throughout the season while playing mostly underclassman? Or how about the fact the entire athletic department continues to fight on despite working on a fraction of the budget and with less facilities (no fieldhouse or weight room specifically for football or any other sport for that matter) than anyone in the conference? How about the fact that anyone that has seen the football team or any of the other teams can tell they may not be as athletic as their opponents because the jump in Division hasn't quite caught up with teams yet, but they have never stop trying and are working just as hard now that they are 0-4 as they were when they started the season.

The positive is there if you and your kind every care to look for it instead of just piling on with the negative.

Coach Downing, is that you?

jjjj said:
bearsfan7778 said:

Coach Downing, is that you?
I was thinking the same thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, it can't be Downing, all he would say is "The posters on this board are working hard and I can see the improvement so I'm pleased with where the posters on this board are going..." :twisted:

That was classic Blofeld ! If this was the Jim Rome Show, I'd be saying, " Rack 'em".

On another note, what was the comment by "7778" about no weight room specifically for football or any other sport? What is that room at the south end of the hallway with all the weights in it? You know, the one I had to help pay for as a student, but I'm not allowed to use? I mean granted, I realize that the only way to get strong , and competitive is to only work out in a "sport specific" weight room. I now know why I'm not a college athlete, I was wasting my high school career lifting weights on a bench that was used by a volleyball player. Damn it!

Ursa Major said:
On another note, what was the comment by "7778" about no weight room specifically for football or any other sport? What is that room at the south end of the hallway with all the weights in it? You know, the one I had to help pay for as a student, but I'm not allowed to use? I mean granted, I realize that the only way to get strong , and competitive is to only work out in a "sport specific" weight room.

First, Ursa, are you paying for that through a fee? I know the fees approved two years ago didn't include anything for the weight room. The other aspect of that would be, was this a room promised when expansion of campus rec occurred only then later taken over by athletics? I'm just trying to put the 2+2 together.

As for the "sport specific" matter, its more about space and time. The current weight room does not have the room to accommodate all of the student-athletes, much less the rest of the student population. Even attempting to squeeze just, say, football's offensive players in there for a workout is a strain on the setup. That room just doesn't have the space to be effective for anyone. Heck, I have more space to work out in at my apartment complex.

That's not saying the rest of the student population doesn't deserve to use the equipment--if they are, in fact, paying for that somehow.

I guess you're right. I'm sure that none of the $43.70 Recreation/Athletic Facility Bond, $28.00 Recreation Center Bond, or $270.20 Student Service Fee are used towards athletics or upkeep of equipment and facilities. My statement is like telling a city worker that, " My taxes pay your salary!" It is both true and untrue at the same time. Every penny I pay at UNC goes towards something "UNC" related. As far as non athletes being allowed to use the weight room, no, they shouldn't be allowed. We have a $$$$$ facility at our disposal. My point is that it is ludicrous to say that we can't be competitive because we don't have a nicer athletic weight room. I've been in the Chadron State College weight room, and I've had classrooms at UNC that were bigger. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. It's how you USE the space you've got that's going to show results. Maybe you can invite the team over to your apartment to work out. I'd check the lease first. :)

First, I want to say you all have every right to be upset that the teams are not playing up to your expectations. I was just trying to look at it from another angle and say it's easy to judge a man if you don't walk a mile is his shoes. It's clear the athletic program hasn't been nearly as competitive as we all would like it to be. Hopefully that will change, but I just want to prepare you all for it if it doesn't. The jump in Division I is a lot more challenging than was first believed by everyone.

Patience is a virtue that fans often don't have and the point I was attempting to make is it might have to creep itself into your minds sooner than later. This university and athletic department needs all your support during these difficult times if they are ever to get back to the good times.

The athletic programs even with the huge student-fee increase is still at a disadvantage even compared to schools in the Big Sky Conference. It could be that when the teams moved to Division I some of these other financial/facilities factors were taken not into account, but that move and decision would not be a solely athletics decision either. Often times it comes from University administration that have no real understand about athletics. Ultimately, University administration makes the decision to move up a division, class, conference, etc. without taking all the other potential factors into account. They just think the move sounds better for the university. I fear that is what happened in this case and the school and teams are definitely paying the price with the continuous losing and what not.

I know you want to get rid of everyone and start over but you might also ask yourself what makes this place appealing to quality people to fill the roles you want replaced like head football coach and athletic director? I think this place has more appeal in your eyes as fans since you've seen the good times than it does now when times are a bit tougher.

I know I'll probably get ripped again, which is understandable, I just want you to think about the other side of the coin.

Ursa Major said:
My point is that it is ludicrous to say that we can't be competitive because we don't have a nicer athletic weight room... It's how you USE the space you've got that's going to show results.

It does factor into competitive recruiting, which is a sport all its own, like it or not...As for how you use the space, that area is being stepped up, from what I understand.

Ursa - that was spot on (and hilarious).
Bears Radio - I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying. Facilities need to be stepped up.
Today I am Switzerland.

BearsFan7778 - we're not here to rip you, we do on occasion like to argue though. :D I don't think the move up in classification should have been this difficult for football - just look at what NDSU (#2 in the country) and SDSU (not ranked but a very solid team) have done. Sure NDSU has more money but I would guess that SDSU does not. In our D2 days we would have been competitive in the Big Sky - not winning it but at least 500 in the conference. Now we are a joke in the conference. I also doubt that the administration whimsically says lets move up or down a conference. UNC is plenty capable of being competitive at this level. We are not Montana so shouldn't expect to dominate year in and year out (except in football) but we should be more competitive than we are. Trust me that if the AD or FB job opened up tomorrow we would have plenty of resumes from very capable individuals find their way to Greeley.

By the way, keep posting the more fans we have the better. When no one posts it will be a sign that no one cares. Different opinions and points of view are what makes conversation interesting.

Latest posts

Back