• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

@ UC Davis Game Day Thread

93bird said:
Wait a minute. Now there's an extra stat? Most third downs that could have been NOT converted? That's one I like but struggle with. As for the rushing defense taking a step back. I see what you did there. Dopa gets an A+ for putting a positive spin on this one. Go Eags!

Not a positive spin,... a negative one. They had a running back run for 255 yards on 22 carries (11.6 per carry). That ain't good. Idaho will try to run it up our ass.

I still say get 3-and-outs. You get a 3-and-out every time the D is on the field, you're probably gonna win 99 out of every 100 games. I've seen team with several takeaways lose with far more frequency. If you want to split hairs, a defense that simply never allows an opponent to score is gonna do just fine.

ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:
well I'm out. I can't watch anymore of this. This team was completely unprepared for this game and I look at the top for that. For all of you Best apologists out there, sorry, but its time for him to go. Its clear that he cannot win on a consistent basis now that hes out from Baldwin's shadow.

That's a bit dramatic.

how so? We've won two games against marginal FCS teams, got walloped by NDSU, and lost a game we should have won in OT to FBS Fresno State. That's a game a Baldwin coached team would have won. After today's performance I'm curious in knowing what people are seeing from this team to be optimistic? Our run defense was absolutely abysmal and seems to have taken a huge step back from last week. Our offense can't score TD's in the red zone. At least our special teams played well, which is a complete anomaly from years past. Best's teams just don't seem to have that same wasta that we've had in the past. It doesn't seem like we're recruiting the Cooper Kupps and Samson Ebukams of the world anymore, and it shows.

eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:
well I'm out. I can't watch anymore of this. This team was completely unprepared for this game and I look at the top for that. For all of you Best apologists out there, sorry, but its time for him to go. Its clear that he cannot win on a consistent basis now that hes out from Baldwin's shadow.

That's a bit dramatic.

how so? We've won two games against marginal FCS teams, got walloped by NDSU, and lost a game we should have won in OT to FBS Fresno State. That's a game a Baldwin coached team would have won. After today's performance I'm curious in knowing what people are seeing from this team to be optimistic? Our run defense was absolutely abysmal and seems to have taken a huge step back from last week. Our offense can't score TD's in the red zone. At least our special teams played well, which is a complete anomaly from years past. Best's teams just don't seem to have that same wasta that we've had in the past. It doesn't seem like we're recruiting the Cooper Kupps and Samson Ebukams of the world anymore, and it shows.

We're 2-2 and that's right where people expected us to be with this schedule. Are you suggesting we should have a better record than what we have? Absolutely zero people expected us to beat NDSU or Fresno. Of course there is always room for improvement and I've been as critical as any about some of our issues, but even in our best seasons we've had to win close games against some not so great teams.

93bird said:
Wait a minute. Now there's an extra stat? Most third downs that could have been NOT converted? That's one I like but struggle with. As for the rushing defense taking a step back. I see what you did there. Dopa gets an A+ for putting a positive spin on this one. Go Eags!

:lol:

eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:

That's a bit dramatic.

Both of the FCS teams we've won against were in the top 25.

Obzerver said:
EagInTexas said:
Thank goodness. An ugly win is still better than a loss.

And an ugly win on the road against a good team=exceptionally good

This. People forget how difficult it is to win on the road, especially on these long California trips. Today was a great win to put us 1-0 in the conference.

Their RB seemed exceptionally crafty, smart, and agile. He's really the reason that Davis hung around until the injury took him out. I wager he's likely the best we'll see all season. Everyone stepped up when they needed to and that's really all that matters.

eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:

That's a bit dramatic.

This is an exceptionally bad take. Davis is a pretty good team. At least middle of the road for the BSC. I would day that this was a really solid win for the Eags. As for the rest of your post, I’d be interested in comparing records. Baldwin’s teams really didn’t take off until after the NC season in 2010.

Hambone said:
eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:

That's a bit dramatic.

This is an exceptionally bad take. Davis is a pretty good team. At least middle of the road for the BSC. I would day that this was a really solid win for the Eags. As for the rest of your post, I’d be interested in comparing records. Baldwin’s teams really didn’t take off until after the NC season in 2010.
Go ahead and look. The records and accolades are not even close. We've regressed a ton the past 5-6 years. If we don't make it to 7-4 this year following the worst season in 20+ years the AD needs to start asking some serious questions.

EWURanger said:
Obzerver said:
EagInTexas said:

This. People forget how difficult it is to win on the road, especially on these long California trips. Today was a great win to put us 1-0 in the conference.

The only other conference team to win on the road this weekend was the Bobcats, probably the eventual conference champ, they embarrassed Weber 40-zip :oops: .
I'm still pondering a statement on this site "if your defense is 3 and out every time they are on the field you'll win 90% of your games." hummm???

clawman said:
EWURanger said:
Obzerver said:
EagInTexas said:

The only other conference team to win on the road this weekend was the Bobcats, probably the eventual conference champ, they embarrassed Weber 40-zip :oops: .
I'm still pondering a statement on this site "if your defense is 3 and out every time they are on the field you'll win 90% of your games." hummm???

In the immortal words of Lee Corso, "not so fast, my friend!" My statement was if you get 3-and-outs on every defensive series, you'll win 99 out of 100 games. Mathematically, it's true. You'd have to be a turnover machine with no offense at all to lose.

Another mathematical item to ponder.... there 0 chance of losing a football game (not close to zero, but total 0) if you can run the ball for 3.5 yards every time you run a play. There's no practical way to ever achieve this, but 3.5 yards on every carry would make you unbeatable. Please note that's not a 3.5ypc, but 3.5 yards every play running the ball.

Congratulations!

Its good to see EWU getting some of their mojo back. Two wins over ranked teams now go knock Idaho off.

eaglesfootball said:
Hambone said:
eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:

That's a bit dramatic.

Go ahead and look. The records an accolades are not even close. We've regressed a ton the past 5-6 years. If we don't make it to 7-4 this year following the worst season in 20+ years the AD needs to start asking some serious questions.

thats-just-like-your-opinion-man_1_.gif

LDopaPDX said:
clawman said:
EWURanger said:
Obzerver said:
EagInTexas said:

In the immortal words of Lee Corso, "not so fast, my friend!" My statement was if you get 3-and-outs on every defensive series, you'll win 99 out of 100 games. Mathematically, it's true. You'd have to be a turnover machine with no offense at all to lose.

Another mathematical item to ponder.... there 0 chance of losing a football game (not close to zero, but total 0) if you can run the ball for 3.5 yards every time you run a play. There's no practical way to ever achieve this, but 3.5 yards on every carry would make you unbeatable. Please note that's not a 3.5ypc, but 3.5 yards every play running the ball.

I remember, years back reading about some head coach somewhere who had elected to go for it on 4th down every time because he'd believed that he'd worked out the odds statistically and they were in his favor. :lol:

EagInTexas said:
LDopaPDX said:
clawman said:
EWURanger said:
Obzerver said:
EagInTexas said:

I remember, years back reading about some head coach somewhere who had elected to go for it on 4th down every time because he'd believed that he'd worked out the odds statistically and they were in his favor. :lol:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/05/21/kevin-kelley-high-school-never-punts-presbyterian#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20other%20thing%20I'll,third%20down%20and%20second%20down.

Also think he always onsides kicks it.

clawman said:
EWURanger said:
Obzerver said:
EagInTexas said:

Me too. :lol:

EWURanger said:
We're 2-2 and that's right where people expected us to be with this schedule. Are you suggesting we should have a better record than what we have? Absolutely zero people expected us to beat NDSU or Fresno. Of course there is always room for improvement and I've been as critical as any about some of our issues, but even in our best seasons we've had to win close games against some not so great teams.

That’s what I’m thinking, both SLU & UC Davis were ranked as well, that’s two upsets out of 4. And three out of four of the first four games were road games! UCDavis had a great atmosphere last night, they had close to a sellout crowd, with lots of students and music, they even had fans on the grass berm. It was a real home field advantage for ranked UCDavis, and Eastern got the victory. That’s 1-0 in Big Sky Conference play, and a 2 game win streak! GoEAGS

eaglesfootball said:
Hambone said:
eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:

That's a bit dramatic.

Go ahead and look. The records and accolades are not even close. We've regressed a ton the past 5-6 years. If we don't make it to 7-4 this year following the worst season in 20+ years the AD needs to start asking some serious questions.

In Aarons first 6 full years including the covid season he has 46 wins and Beau had 56 so he had 10 wins more and 1 more playoff birth. Beau also had a couple of guys named Cooper Kupp, Vernon Adams, Bo Levi Mitchell, etc etc. While Aaron has had Eric, he hasn't had the most stable great player like the 2010s Eastern teams Best has only really had 1 bad season I would argue we should have made the playoffs in 2017 and 2019. The other thing about Best is he will be and Eagle Head Coach until he retires or is fired. I think unless he is getting some good power 5/4 OC of head coaching job I do not think he will leave that is a key to good recruiting. Eastern has been falling behind in recruiting compared to where we were in the 2010s which isnt really Best's fault we need new faculty, stadium renovation, and filling the stands consistently.

eaglesfootball said:
Hambone said:
eaglesfootball said:
ewueagfan said:
eaglesfootball said:

That's a bit dramatic.

Consider this. Eastern sits at 2-2 with the 3rd toughest schedule in the FCS according to Massey. The two teams who have more difficult schedules are both winless. and one of those losses was to us.

Latest posts

Back