Doesn't look good for EWU

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Green Cookie Monster

Doesn't look good for EWU

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 am

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ewu-fa ... d=19099082

However this turns out, not promising at any level.
I bet if EWU is going this direction, next up is PSU. They are hanging by the skin of their teeth.

Kadeezy

Re: Doesn't look good for EWU

Post by Kadeezy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:47 am

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 am
https://www.inlander.com/spokane/ewu-fa ... d=19099082

However this turns out, not promising at any level.
I bet if EWU is going this direction, next up is PSU. They are hanging by the skin of their teeth.
This is why we have to pack Hornet stadium, play two money games, and win...

BSCfan

Post by BSCfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:38 am

Even though I'm a Sac State parent, I'm also a Washington resident and this pissed me off to no end. That school has done a good job giving our in state kids a place to play college ball and for the most part they've done well the past several years. I would hate to see the opportunities lost for them (and possibly the whole athletic department). The part that really frosted me was reading this..."no positive impact on our student enrollment, retention or recruitment."

That statement sure rubs me the wrong way, reminds me a lot of a certain Seattle City Councilman who once remarked that the NBA's Supersonics offered "no significant cultural value" to that city. Keeping the athletic department going is exactly what I DON'T mind my tax dollars going for, compared to some of the crap they spend it on. There definitely IS value in college athletics!

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Meh. Just a typical SJW hit piece on another department spending “their” money.

Credit to their AD, Lynn Hickey who was quoted with some common sense responses to their concerns. I didn’t read the report but some of their budget numbers posted in the article most likely don’t give the full picture, similarly to that piece in the State Hornet regarding our budget (thread).
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:56 pm

This is what happens at small enrollment public schools. And EWU, Idaho and UM have had steady enrollment declines over the last five years. Each less headcount is less $$ from the state for the school. Which is why Idalol had to eat crow.

Bottomline....the athletic department needs to be financially secure without such a high % of university funds. The athletic department is a business and needs to be run as such. The community cohesiveness, exposure, outreach and character building are in itself worth the $$ spent. It is the front door.

Super Hornet
Admin

Post by Super Hornet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:01 am

SDHornet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:00 pm
Meh. Just a typical SJW hit piece on another department spending “their” money.

Credit to their AD, Lynn Hickey who was quoted with some common sense responses to their concerns. I didn’t read the report but some of their budget numbers posted in the article most likely don’t give the full picture, similarly to that piece in the State Hornet regarding our budget (thread).
I don't know what SJW means, but outside of that, I would agree with you, SD. It sounds just like the rhetoric coming out of the UOP faculty leading up to the end of the football program in 1995, although they couched it in terms of the supposed "$450K deficit" the football team had caused despite the incredible 1995 bodybag schedule featuring OOC games like Fresno State, Arizona, Nebraska, Oregon, and Oregon State, that directly led to a 3-8 record (though one of those wins was against Oregon State); the record was a direct result of playing so many "up" games with the resultant injuries, and the fees received from playing them should have more than offset any "deficit" caused by playing I-A football. I would have much preferred dropping to I-AA rather than dropping the program, but the president at the time falsely claimed that anything less than I-A would be "beneath our dignity." What a bunch of [email protected]

EWU is a class D-I athletic program across the spectrum, and academic elites shouldn't be allowed to ruin that....

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Eastern Washington has an enrollment of 12,000 students.
EWU has probably the least sports teams of Big Sky member schools

But love their ambition to renovate and expand their football stadium. Notice the track is gone in their dream of a better stadium.

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Just for fun

Enrollment at Big Sky Conference all sport schools

31,156 Sacramento State University
30,736 Northern Arizona University
28,241 Portland State University
26,681 Weber State University
16,902 Montana State University
12,805 Idaho State University
12,130 Eastern Washington State University
12,084 University of Northern Colorado
11,534 University of Idaho
11,224 Southern Utah University
10,9U62 University of Montana

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:10 pm

10,962 for Montana . Sorry for the typo.