Don't Be Surprised...

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Super Hornet

Don't Be Surprised...

Post by Super Hornet » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:58 pm

...if Sears IS out.

This is pure speculation, of course, but Encino-Crespi QB Hamish McClure has committed to Sac. That, plus the recent dismissal of UCLA HC Jim Mora (odd replacement in Chip Kelly, BTW), raises the distinct possibility in MY mind that his father Angus may well be coming home. Whether that means a coordinator's role under Sears or returning in Sears' place as HC is anybody's guess.

But I would not find that at all surprising. Of course, it would depend a great deal on Angus' feelings about coaching his own son. My teammate John Fassel (who graduated from Weber) never did play with his father Jim because of Jim's feelings on the matter of coaching one's own son. I wonder what Angus thinks about that....

https://twitter.com/CrespiAthletics/sta ... 97/photo/1

Phantom Hornet

Re: Don't Be Surprised...

Post by Phantom Hornet » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:32 pm

You might be right, but I think it’s kind of a reach to draw that conclusion.

Hamish is not a very big qb and lightly recruited, it’s not like he’s turning down huge offers to come here, plus Sac State has been recruiting him for awhile. Check out this article from mid-Oct https://247sports.com/Article/QB-Hamish ... -109148964 where he talks about how much he likes and has been recruited by the Hornets. That was when his dad was still employed by UCLA.

Like you said, you might be right, but I’d probably chalk it up as coincidence although I could see McClure joining the staff in some capacity.

Green Laser

Post by Green Laser » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Welcome Hamish! 5'10, 165 is small for a D1 QB, I suspect he was recruited to play another position.
Speculating that Hamish's commitment signal's that Angus will return is a stretch. Angus is a quality coach, he has survived several head coaches. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelley retains him, if not he will land at another FBS program.
At this point Orr needs to extend Sears contract ASAP, he's earned it. Recruits and the current players need to know there is no uncertainty with the program going forward.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Orr may very well want to start from scratch and hire his own guy, but it sure would be tough to let go of the BSC COTY fresh of a 7-4 record and several solid recruiting classes with players that seem to love him.

I think best case scenario is to re-sign Sears and hope Wulff stays on board then add McClure to the staff. Keep building upon what they've been doing.

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm

That offense was Huard. Gotta keep him too.