M&W 2019-20 Season

Talk about Hornet and College Basketball
User avatar
Kadeezy
Posts: 2657
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by Kadeezy »

SDHornet wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:42 pm
Hornets (10-6, 3-4 BSC) no-shows at SUU (11-6, 4-2 BSC) and gets ran off the court, 49-74 this past weekend. Osi (13 pts, 6 boards) and Patton (12 pts, 7 boards) were the only ones that showed up to Cedar City. By far the worst all around game of the year. Izayah and Davis put up a whooping 11 points and 7 TOs. It was so bad that Katz emptied the bench in the 1st half trying to find someone who wanted to play. I'd have to go way back early into Katz tenure here to recall a game this awful. I have no idea what it is but Katz' teams always suck on the road.
I had to turn it off... Outside of Esposito, Patton, and Izayah (when he doesn't have the yipps) - we have no scoring. The supposed deadly three-point shooters can't make a shot, and they can't guard anyone. At least I always make money better against the Hornets on the road!
Image

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

Kadeezy wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:07 am
SDHornet wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:42 pm
Hornets (10-6, 3-4 BSC) no-shows at SUU (11-6, 4-2 BSC) and gets ran off the court, 49-74 this past weekend. Osi (13 pts, 6 boards) and Patton (12 pts, 7 boards) were the only ones that showed up to Cedar City. By far the worst all around game of the year. Izayah and Davis put up a whooping 11 points and 7 TOs. It was so bad that Katz emptied the bench in the 1st half trying to find someone who wanted to play. I'd have to go way back early into Katz tenure here to recall a game this awful. I have no idea what it is but Katz' teams always suck on the road.
I had to turn it off... Outside of Esposito, Patton, and Izayah (when he doesn't have the yipps) - we have no scoring. The supposed deadly three-point shooters can't make a shot, and they can't guard anyone. At least I always make money better against the Hornets on the road!
Remember though, we were told scoring wouldn't drop off that much with the graduation of Graves. :roll:
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

SacStateFan
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SacStateFan »

Yet we are still doing better than we did last year with Graves and all his scoring.

At this point last year, we were 8-8 overall and 1-5 in Big Sky.

We will finish better than 8-12 in Big Sky.

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

The Hornets are 1 game better in non-con play this year (7-2) vs last year (6-3) with the difference being that the CP game was postponed to this year but the Hornets did play a lot better in non-con this season specifically on the defensive side.

The Hornets are also only one game better in BSC play at this point in the season (3-4) compared to last (2-5). The only difference in record being the Hornets sh!t the bed against beatable teams early in BSC play last year.

However when you look at the stats, as a team the Hornet are scoring 10 points less than last season. 10. That's massive and shows you how critical of a role the outstanding defensive play has been this season. There is plenty of time to turn it around but not seeing any production from the starting guards on the road in BSC play this season (4 games so far) is very concerning.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

Hornets (11-6, 4-4 BSC) have a tremendous game and rebound with a 66-55 win over Portland State (10-11, 4-5 BSC). Team defense was stellar and held PSU 23 points below their season average and forced 25 TOs. Offensively the Hornets got off to a slow start but were carried by Esposito (22 pts, 5 boards), Jacobs (12 pts, 7 boards, 3 blocks) and Fowler (11 pts, 3 boards). Patton (12 pts, 5 boards) battled foul trouble but made his mark in the 2nd half. Izayah and Davis continued to struggle (7 points, 3 TO combined) but at least took care of the ball. FT shooting (23/27) was outstanding.

Great atmosphere and capacity crowd on hand last night. Hornets head to NAU (9-7, 3-4 BSC), a place where they really struggle, for a Monday night game.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

SacStateFan
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SacStateFan »

Overall great team effort last night. Love the student suppprt.

Glad to see James’ minutes were under control.

CJ and Ethan were unstoppable.

Izayah, Brandon and Osi played amazing defense.

Let’s carry this momentum to North Arizona.

josephpoint
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by josephpoint »

Another big victory in Hornet Gym. And a sell out . Nice to see Would be huge if the Hornets find a way to win on the road in the Big Sky this season.

Look forward to the Hornets staying undefeated in Hornet Gym with spring semester starting up.

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

Hornets (11-7, 4-5 BSC) had a decent start, but then implode after about 10 minutes and revert back to their awful road play and get ran off the court, 54-69 at NAU (11-7, 5-4 BSC). Izayah (9pts, 3/7 from 3) show some life, but Davis put up nothing on 4 shots. Patton, Esposito, and Fowler had a decent showing offensively. The Hornets were totally clueless on defense. Katz raised the white flag with 5 minutes to go and emptied the bench.

I'd be interested to know how Orr is processing this as I'm pretty sure it's a contract year for Katz.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm »

SDHornet wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am
Hornets (11-7, 4-5 BSC) had a decent start, but then implode after about 10 minutes and revert back to their awful road play and get ran off the court, 54-69 at NAU (11-7, 5-4 BSC). Izayah (9pts, 3/7 from 3) show some life, but Davis put up nothing on 4 shots. Patton, Esposito, and Fowler had a decent showing offensively. The Hornets were totally clueless on defense. Katz raised the white flag with 5 minutes to go and emptied the bench.

I'd be interested to know how Orr is processing this as I'm pretty sure it's a contract year for Katz.
Interesting point about the contract year. Even with the disappointing Conference play, at 11-7, the season is still considered a "success" by Sac State MBB standards. I'll say this, I think we know what Katz ceiling is with this program current set up (budget/arena/conference travel for a basketball), and that is a top 3 finish in conference and a CIT invite. Katz coaching method might be a little outdated in this currents day and age. It's up to Orr to decide if that's good enough as the ceiling. Now if you look at his overall record, there's a lot left to be desired. The question is, can we replace him with someone who can do a better job (win conference and give SAC the auto birth in a one bid league to the NCAA tournament). I honestly think the answer is no. Especially with this current set up. Also, the fact that Katz is alumn is also a factor (even if it's small) in making the decision.

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:02 am
SDHornet wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:51 am
Hornets (11-7, 4-5 BSC) had a decent start, but then implode after about 10 minutes and revert back to their awful road play and get ran off the court, 54-69 at NAU (11-7, 5-4 BSC). Izayah (9pts, 3/7 from 3) show some life, but Davis put up nothing on 4 shots. Patton, Esposito, and Fowler had a decent showing offensively. The Hornets were totally clueless on defense. Katz raised the white flag with 5 minutes to go and emptied the bench.

I'd be interested to know how Orr is processing this as I'm pretty sure it's a contract year for Katz.
Interesting point about the contract year. Even with the disappointing Conference play, at 11-7, the season is still considered a "success" by Sac State MBB standards. I'll say this, I think we know what Katz ceiling is with this program current set up (budget/arena/conference travel for a basketball), and that is a top 3 finish in conference and a CIT invite. Katz coaching method might be a little outdated in this currents day and age. It's up to Orr to decide if that's good enough as the ceiling. Now if you look at his overall record, there's a lot left to be desired. The question is, can we replace him with someone who can do a better job (win conference and give SAC the auto birth in a one bid league to the NCAA tournament). I honestly think the answer is no. Especially with this current set up. Also, the fact that Katz is alumn is also a factor (even if it's small) in making the decision.
Well stated and I agree and that’s the dilemma Hornet hoops faces until the admin gets an events center built. I agree about the ceiling this program has and I don’t see that ceiling changing until the facilities issue is addressed. It’s clear that this program has issues on the recruiting trail and IMO this program has been one solid piece away from being a team that is able to compete for a top 4 finish in BSC play in recent years.  I’m not sure who would want to coach here that could arguably do a better job. Also a ton of credit goes to Katz for making the program what it is. He has done a lot more with less on and off the court. 

Having said that, I have no problem if Katz is extended with a few caveats:
More nonconference games in Golden 1. We have the Causeway downtown, I’d like to see a few more double headers with the Hornets facing high mid-major programs. I think this would help on the recruiting trail quite a bit.  

Revamp the staff. A shakeup is probably needed if this team wants to see different results. The staff hasn’t really changed in almost 10 years, most of whom haven’t coached D1 outside of their tenure here. It is probably time for some fresh insight from D1 experienced coaches.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Green Laser
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by Green Laser »

Doses anyone know how much time is left on Bunky's contract?

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

Green Laser wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 pm
Doses anyone know how much time is left on Bunky's contract?
I think it is thru the 20-21 season.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

Hornets (11-8, 4-6 BSC) lost their first home game of the season last night, 54-59, to Eastern Washington (14-6, 6-2 BSC) as EWU remains atop the BSC standings. It was a hard fought game and the Hornets played well for most of it, however a 4 minute scoring lull in the second half was the difference. The Hornets also struggled to defend the 3 ball (EWU shot 7/17) and the Hornets perimeter shooting woes continued (3/15).

Amid the scoring drought and coming off the 12 minute media timeout, Katz runs a lineup of FitzPatrick, Greabell, Jacobs, Fowler, and Patton as if that was going to score points. :lol:

Osi had a chippy game defending EWU's Davison. I thought he was doing an okay job but Katz kept him on the bench once he picked up his 4th foul. :?

This game was there for the taking but the Hornets couldn't come through in the clutch.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5239
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet »

Hornets (11-9, 4-7 BSC) no-show at home against the worst BSC team, Idaho (6-15, 2-8 BSC) and lose 53-67. Hornets were dominated and got run off the court in the first half. A frantic 2nd half almost made for an exciting finish, but the Hornets are awful at scoring and couldn't get it closer than 8.

The wheels have completely fallen off a once promising season as the Hornets are now 1-5 in the last 6 games. This season is over, maybe this team will win a first round game in the BSCT, maybe. Attention is now on what Orr does with Katz.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm »

SDHornet wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm
Hornets (11-9, 4-7 BSC) no-show at home against the worst BSC team, Idaho (6-15, 2-8 BSC) and lose 53-67. Hornets were dominated and got run off the court in the first half. A frantic 2nd half almost made for an exciting finish, but the Hornets are awful at scoring and couldn't get it closer than 8.

The wheels have completely fallen off a once promising season as the Hornets are now 1-5 in the last 6 games. This season is over, maybe this team will win a first round game in the BSCT, maybe. Attention is now on what Orr does with Katz.

Agreed. Unless the season is quickly turned around, this looks like a one game, maybe two game exit in BSCT. I've always said that basketball it's the easiest way to get to get exposure for the a division 1 athletic program. Even more so than football. All it takes is one appearance in the NCAA tournament and the whole athletic can ride the exposure wave for at least a few years. Our hated neighbor, Davis is a good example of that happening. Back to this team, at this point, we're all just waiting for Orr's decisions. This blog has dissect this team many times (there wasn't just much to dissect because it's the same problem from the beginning), and if Katz doesn't have the ability to make changes when things aren't working, then it is what it is... :coffee:

EventCenterNow
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:02 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by EventCenterNow »

Can someone please contact Lake Tahoe Community College and see If they are interested in starting intercollegiate men's and women's basketball teams? I have the perfect coaches for each team. :x We have them in Sacramento. Their names are Brian Katz and Bunky Harkleroad. Of course, if the people in South Lake Tahoe would like to take Luke Walton as well, we would be glad to send him their way. :twisted:

User avatar
Kadeezy
Posts: 2657
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by Kadeezy »

SDHornet wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm
Hornets (11-9, 4-7 BSC) no-show at home against the worst BSC team, Idaho (6-15, 2-8 BSC) and lose 53-67. Hornets were dominated and got run off the court in the first half. A frantic 2nd half almost made for an exciting finish, but the Hornets are awful at scoring and couldn't get it closer than 8.

The wheels have completely fallen off a once promising season as the Hornets are now 1-5 in the last 6 games. This season is over, maybe this team will win a first round game in the BSCT, maybe. Attention is now on what Orr does with Katz.

At least I’m making money betting against the Hornets.
Image

SacStateFan
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SacStateFan »

Another game we should have won! How do we let one guy, one guy beat us? 44 points?? Who was guarding him?!

User avatar
Kadeezy
Posts: 2657
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by Kadeezy »

We are three point favorites tonight in Pocatello, somehow. I have $20 on Bungles to win outright (ML). This is how I hedge my happiness. Win money or Hornets win lol...
Image

josephpoint
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by josephpoint »

12-10 Hornets stop a big losing streak to win on the road for the first time this season over Idaho State by 4 points. Huge win over the 6-16 Bengals.

Great to see our highest paid coach on campus earning his $284,000.00 plus benefits after ten ears or more of excellence

Post Reply