• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

10 THINGS

There are some fantastic ideas in this thread.

Many schools target their recent alumni with discounted rates for memberships into the booster clubs. The University of Idaho, for example, has the "Under 30 Club." Even schools like Florida State offer discounted memberships and season ticket prices to all alumni within 3 years of graduation.

Implementing this would take a lot of leg work, but it's a great idea. Simply putting an icon on the website and expecting every alumnus to find it just won't work. You would need to make appearances with various student groups, and I would target groups such as ASISU government, ISU Ambassadors, College of Business Alpha Kappa Psi, College of Pharmacy Phi Delta Chi and so on. You're not just selling a seat to a game, you need to sell the student all the benefits of doing so. He is helping to raise the visibility of ISU, is providing himself a great networking opportunity, and is making a great education available to some who may not get it otherwise.

Irwin M. Fletcher said:
As a 32 year-old professional, Pocatello resident, ISU alum, and regular attendee of ISU athletic events, you would think i would have been solicited directly multiple times by now.

Unfortunately, ISU fails at this across the board... athletics, academics, you name it. Perhaps they've done a cost benefit analysis and determined the return isn't there for mass mailings. I contrast this with Boise State... they send me things quarterly and I've never contributed anything to academic programs or athletics. In fact, their mailings have somehow found me in Maine. :lol:

Just a point that every single idea on this thread was brought up today in our external affairs meeting, and while I'm not going to get into the specifics of things about which things we felt had merit and which didn't, everything, no matter how silly (I'm talking about changing helmets) was discussed.

That being said ... yeah, anyone with eyes on a free [email protected] ... get in touch. There were other worthy ideas in this discussion as well, and I'm glad it came back from where it was headed, because i thought it was pretty constructive. And yes, I took my laptop with this thread on there into the meeting. Ideas don't have to come from athletic department administrators to be good ideas.

ISUSID

I found a cannon, it turned out to be a towed 105mm howitzer. A 105mm would blow the roof off and everyone would be deaf. This is a set back but I am not fazed. I have some contacts with the Idaho National guard and the reserves that could help set it up and pay for it. Hopefully I will track down a 75mm or smaller cannon that can be fired in the Dome.

:D :D :D Your last post was a refreshing one SID. The fact that it was even talked about should (I hope) get the ball rolling. I love it when people are at least teachable and have open minds and open doors cuz it sounds like some great ideas went into some open doors and open minds today! Thanks Frank

I found a 57mm gun that has been converted to fire black powder. It is privately owned but the owner has let it be used by the National Guard in parades. I hope to tie this in with the Army Reserves, National Guard and ROTC for support. I have emailed the owner and with luck he will let us use it this season.

Roar,

I'm always open for constructive criticism, and more importantly new ideas. I'd love a cannon....and I did find out you can get burgers in the dome....we have been working to get more stuff but running into some on-campus snags from certain folks, but we are fighting through it.

ISUSID

P.S. Keep ideas coming....and [email protected]

GO BENGALS!

Bengal Roar said:
:D :D :D Your last post was a refreshing one SID. The fact that it was even talked about should (I hope) get the ball rolling. I love it when people are at least teachable and have open minds and open doors cuz it sounds like some great ideas went into some open doors and open minds today! Thanks Frank
SID, my comments were not toward you directly. Sorry if it came across that way. In general I like it when people are open minded and teachable. I know you have 8 arms and you work circles around many people. You do a great job! I remember last year during March Madness in Boise I looked down in the press area and I saw SID helping someone on the computer. MULTI TASKER!

In the original post I stated in idea #3 that the athletic department web site needs to get some help and a make over. ISU has the collage of technology and they have a graphic/web design program. ISUSID can we look into getting them to make over and upgrade the site. I am sure that it could be tied into a project for a student or class. Can we get the Bengal to help with news stories and info. Cub's recruit bio's need to get posted. I have included the link to the Eastern Washington athletic website http://goeags.com/landing/index there is no reason why ISU does not have as good or better site. Also look how easy it is to donate to EWU red field project. ISU has the resources for little or no cost we need to tap into them and use them.

The website is being actively looked at. I can't go more in depth into it than that here, but feel free to email me and I'll be happy to fill anyone in on what we are doing or what's in the planning stages. It's just stuff I don't want on a message board if that's understandable.

I feel that we have gone just about as far as we can with the present site as it stands...we are trying to add little things here and there, but Eastern's site came after ours, and they were able to get a site with the donation stuff as a part of their deal...we didn't do that way back when (honestly, it was presented to us and we weren't in a good position to go with it...obviously I think you are right in that we have changed in that regard)

Also, I understand the criticism wasn't directed at me, but I was just stating that I'm open to it...anyways Sapper, like I said, every single point was discussed, including the website (and it had been discussed before, but was brought up again). The website plan has been in the works...

ISUSID

isusid said:
The website is being actively looked at. I can't go more in depth into it than that here, but feel free to email me and I'll be happy to fill anyone in on what we are doing or what's in the planning stages. It's just stuff I don't want on a message board if that's understandable.

I feel that we have gone just about as far as we can with the present site as it stands...we are trying to add little things here and there, but Eastern's site came after ours, and they were able to get a site with the donation stuff as a part of their deal...we didn't do that way back when (honestly, it was presented to us and we weren't in a good position to go with it...obviously I think you are right in that we have changed in that regard)

Also, I understand the criticism wasn't directed at me, but I was just stating that I'm open to it...anyways Sapper, like I said, every single point was discussed, including the website (and it had been discussed before, but was brought up again). The website plan has been in the works...

ISUSID
I did not mean to sound like I was complaining. This thread was meant as constructive criticism and brought it up to get it talked about and hopefully get things rolling. I appreciate the fact that these ideas are discussed. How cool is it that the fans on this board have a voice. I would like to compliment the Athletic Department for the hard work. I would still like to see Bengal TV and if there is any info please feel us in. Is there any interest in a Spud Bowl? If you need leg work done to make things happen ask.

P.S. Black helmets look better and are more intimidating than white. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of the ideas have merit. In fact, these are the kinds of things that happen everywhere (or most everywhere else) in college sports - I-A, I-AA, whatever. They are sorely needed for ISU. I've constantly ragged about the lack of marketing of the athletics at this school and small steps to change that and develop fans would be a great start. We can't control the game results but things done to try and interest fans or potential fans can be controlled. One thing that should be a top priority is to come up with reasonably fun and meaningful activities/contests or giveaways that are geared to the students at basketball and football games - and publicize them. At least in the Bubb days, they had half-time scholarship drawings for the students. It takes sponsorships and money to get things rolling but how much of this is actually being pursued at ISU?
Until the powers that be decide they need or want to do these things we can chatter all we want on here. Until someone or a group decides that different approaches and activities need to be tried or even tweaked (even just for the sake of shaking it up and trying "something different") (Marketing, PR, Bengal Foundation activities included) nothing will change much.
Speaking of the want of a cannon - whatever happened to the Army ROTC presence with the bell at the football games and the color guard at the basketball games? Nothing for the past two years?

I hope I am not out of line here but I talked with Sappers father the other day and I asked how the cannon was coming along? He mentioned it was in his garage but they could not find anyone to man it. I believe he even said the ROTC didn't want anything to do with it. Sappers father said he would even house it in his garage if anyonw wanted to take charge?

Sapper is heading out it sounds like and will not be back until next year some time? Sapper, wish you well and be safe over there. We appreciate all that you are doing for our Country! We also appreciated you trying to get this ball rolling. Hopefully we will have things in place when you get back.

If anyone knows of someone that wants to man this cannon and take it on and check with the Athletic Dept. and see if it is even okay to do? I told Sappers dad I would try to get it back in discussion and if so I can give you his info. Let me know...

I just re-read this post from back in February and I would have to agree with just about every one. If these things were in place, the stadium was full of fans sporting cool ISU gear, loud booms when scoring, people drinking, having fun and being loud, our players would get more excited and play harder... the final result would be more wins, and a much better overall experience.

Now all we need is dedicated volunteers to make it happen?

Bengal Football - GET ON BOARD!!!

The cannon is a great idea, but if all of the loyal fans (those of us who have been attending games winning or losing seasons) would host tailgate parties prior to the games, that is the best chance to increase attendance. Get your friends that typically go to the games to help you host a tailgate parties a few hours before the games and have each of them invite one or two people who wouldn't normally go to the games. If you get together and purchase a block of tickets, you can get them for $6 -$8 per ticket. The city and campus police forces have been very relaxed on tailgating at the Holt Arena the last couple of seasons. Invite as many people as you can. It used to be all about family. Now, make it all about fun. Get on board! Go Bengals!

I agree with everyone. I have been trying to keep up with all the discussion but have not had internet access until yesterday. I wish I could be home for the season but duty calls. I have been away from home all over the country for training getting ready for Afghanistan. I will get to be home for the Northern Arizona game and that is it. I have a cannon that is ready to go sitting in my father’s garage with no one to shoot it. I have tried to get ROTC and others but no luck. I will keep trying. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

11 days tell game day
20 tell home.

Yes, GOBIGORANGE, you are correct. Tailgating does not have to be about alcohol. With my tailgating crew, half of us indulge in alcoholic beverages and the other half of the crew does not drink alcohol. We all have a ton of fun. BengalSapper, GOD BLESS you and your loved ones for the sacrifices that you make everyday. Thank You, and even without knowing you, I'll be praying for you and thinking about you while I am free to enjoy life in Bengal Country.

Latest posts

Back