• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

10 THINGS

just a thought...it's been brought up before. what do you tell all those season ticket holders who PRE-PAY for their tickets as you are throwing free tickets at anyone who wants them???? are you then going to lessen the price to make the season ticket holders happy? FREE tickets to anyone is NOT the answer.

CUB has a cannon and he frequently make it go boom! Don't know if Pocatello would like to see his bare backside, but it can make for a loud "cannon-like" boom! LOL, T

WIN...all those other things you mentioned will happen. Schedule some patsy's, make it so we show an upward climb out of the Big Sky cellar!

Here's a noble idea...........actually reach out to "ALL" athletic alums to put together an annual event that fans like me would like to plan ahead for to attend each year. (golf, poker tournament, some kind of event worth getting involved in)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golf would be great! You could do a 4 man scramble. I suck horribly but I'm in. Hold a fans/athletic alums banquet dinner/keg barbeque proceeds go to the football budget. How many of us work for companies that we could get to sponsor, donate funds or items for a raffle. I will volunteer my time and I bet others would to. We need events and activities that will raise money and get the community and people involved.

I would like to see a potato bowl.... jsut one home game a year. Get the Idaho Potato Commission to support it... Get decent priced french fries in the dome... get those folks from Blackfoot to come down and give away the free taters.... get a couple of potato mascots roaming the sidelines... get the farmers in this region out to showcase their product.... laugh at yourself a little.... Holt really does look like a spud cellar... bring back the spub bowl name. Shoot, copy the University of North Dakota if you must.

http://www.potatobowl.org/indexOne.htm

biobengal said:
I would like to see a potato bowl.... jsut one home game a year. Get the Idaho Potato Commission to support it... Get decent priced french fries in the dome... get those folks from Blackfoot to come down and give away the free taters.... get a couple of potato mascots roaming the sidelines... get the farmers in this region out to showcase their product.... laugh at yourself a little.... Holt really does look like a spud cellar... bring back the spub bowl name. Shoot, copy the University of North Dakota if you must.

http://www.potatobowl.org/indexOne.htm

I think that a spud game would be awesome more fatty fried food. The potato associations donated the video board last year and it would be cool to celebrate the spud and ISU. I say we make a go and try to make this happen.

here's another idea...just like high school reunions occur every 5 years or so, why not start up a Hall of Fame reunion for all those who are currently in the ISU Hall. I know as a fan I would attend just to be around such memorable and great athletes. Throw in the poker tournament and/or a Hall of Fame-fan combined five man scramble, like a celebrity golf event. Tell me many many fans would not pay to enjoy this two or three day event.

dave84again said:
here's another idea...just like high school reunions occur every 5 years or so, why not start up a Hall of Fame reunion for all those who are currently in the ISU Hall. I know as a fan I would attend just to be around such memorable and great athletes. Throw in the poker tournament and/or a Hall of Fame-fan combined five man scramble, like a celebrity golf event. Tell me many many fans would not pay to enjoy this two or three day event.

I like it but how about an annual golf scramble and BBQ/banquet to happen every year. I say we have it in May before spring semester gets out. If we hold it in the spring the Bengals that are in the pros can come if it is held in the fall it could be tuff to get everyone here. We can also get Coach Z and the current team involved to help with leg work. Hold it at Riverside? Is there interest? Post some thoughts.

P.S. I see that the 2010 schedule was updated on ISU football web site good job. How about the last home game against Sac State is the Spud Bowl? I have to go talk to some people but it looks like I might actual pull off the cannon with no cost to ISU. Now I just have to get the ISU administration to sign off.

If they won't sign off on a FREE CANNON I say we go in covert ops. Under the cover of darkness, Sapper will blow the door and prepare the hidden charges. Spartan will provide security on the perimeter and Ross will provide a diversion to the public by singing the Bengal fight song in a G-string and halter top. I will do my part by watching the Bengal message board--and offering up fan propaganda.

Seriously though, if ISU declines a FREE CANNON, I may just become a fan of Boise State to show my displeasure.

Good job Sapperman!

I encourage people to get involved with the Bengal Foundation. I was on it for a few years. It was fun and NEW IDEAS are good. At times it felt like the same old song and dance but new blood would be very good up there. There are types of golf tourny's etc. It just feels at times the community and the University are on two different pages. We have to change that mentality. Winning I know

Regarding the football schedule, this is one of the better early season schedules we've seen in years. A few of the highlights that make this schedule improved over years past:

Starting with a home game against NAIA Western.
Followed by a short trip to Utah State.
Three straight early season conference games where the outcome is in doubt: UNC away, NAU home, and PSU away.
A mid-confence season bye week.
No away games against Idaho or Boise State.

Replace Georgia with a date against SUU and this might have been one of the better all around schedules in years. However, no doubt, this is an improvement.

Someone needs to slap me in the face and temper my enthusiasm.... I'm getting excited about ISU football.

Similar to death by a thousand cuts... ISU may be getting betterby a thousand baby steps.

biobengal said:
Regarding the football schedule, this is one of the better early season schedules we've seen in years. A few of the highlights that make this schedule improved over years past:

Starting with a home game against NAIA Western.
Followed by a short trip to Utah State.
Three straight early season conference games where the outcome is in doubt: UNC away, NAU home, and PSU away.
A mid-confence season bye week.
No away games against Idaho or Boise State.

Replace Georgia with a date against SUU and this might have been one of the better all around schedules in years. However, no doubt, this is an improvement.

I like the schedule! I would keep the Georgia game. Besides $500,000 it gives ISU exposure. The game will make the highlights on ESPN. I think that it will help recruiting. Also how many other BSC teams can say they played between the hedges?

197 days to the first game.

I like dave84's idea about the HOF reunion with a golf tourney, or a poker tourney.. They need to get their distinguished alumni back much more FREQUENTLY!

Man there are so many things we can do or should i say the team, coaches and/or administration. Okay, maybe opening the doors and saying come on in people for free seats might not go over well with season ticket holders and people who buy at the door.

So do this....On every Wednesday before a home game you get Coach's-players (wearing their jersey's) and the Athletic Admn. out in the town and call it the "Bengal Tix Blitz" or what ever you want to call it? They take 2,000-3,000 or even 4,000 tickets and hit the TOWN! They need to blitz the Business places, Highschools and Jr. High's and even elementary schools and go into those establishments and give out free/complimentary tickets. Give each person 2 or 3 tickets. They bring friends and family. You do that for a few games or just one season and when they come to the dome you give them "ONE HELL OF A GAME DAY EXPERIENCE" where they will want to come back every week and when they are eating it up you slowly shut off the faucet/"tix blitz" and they will be wanting to pay to be part of it next time! You have to hit different schools and business each week so it is fair and so no one knows where the next blitz will be!?!?

Bengal Roar said:
Man there are so many things we can do or should i say the team, coaches and/or administration. Okay, maybe opening the doors and saying come on in people for free seats might not go over well with season ticket holders and people who buy at the door.

So do this....On every Wednesday before a home game you get Coach's-players (wearing their jersey's) and the Athletic Admn. out in the town and call it the "Bengal Tix Blitz" or what ever you want to call it? They take 2,000-3,000 or even 4,000 tickets and hit the TOWN! They need to blitz the Business places, Highschools and Jr. High's and even elementary schools and go into those establishments and give out free/complimentary tickets. Give each person 2 or 3 tickets. They bring friends and family. You do that for a few games or just one season and when they come to the dome you give them "ONE HELL OF A GAME DAY EXPERIENCE" where they will want to come back every week and when they are eating it up you slowly shut off the faucet/"tix blitz" and they will be wanting to pay to be part of it next time! You have to hit different schools and business each week so it is fair and so no one knows where the next blitz will be!?!?

Great idea!!!!! If there is any administration out there read this you need to implement it. This is a great way to get things going.

dave84again said:
just a thought...it's been brought up before. what do you tell all those season ticket holders who PRE-PAY for their tickets as you are throwing free tickets at anyone who wants them???? are you then going to lessen the price to make the season ticket holders happy? FREE tickets to anyone is NOT the answer.

There are a couple of ways to handle the season ticket holders...
1. Do nothing. Hopefully, they will see that the more the merrier. If more people attend the game, then the gameday experience will be better for everyone.

2. Almost do nothing... hand out a receipt. If the athletic department writes a donation receipt upon request of the season ticket holders for the "freeby" games, then season ticket holder gets an additional deduction next year for their "contribution."

Roar has it right!!!! Fill the seats. Here's how to employ a little marketing while you're at it. Take a block of tickets and divide them into 4 or 5 groups. Record the ticket numbers, seat numbers or whatever. Then on an away game Saturday, go to Teton Mall in Idaho Falls and give tickets away for two hours. Then take the next group to Blackfoot. The next group to American Falls. Another group Burley. And all the while, record the tickets given at each location. Give some away during the week in Pocatello at Buddy's or Five Guys or somewhere. Maybe in the process, the school can rope in another sponsor. Maybe work with the Site out in the Arco desert. Give away tickets there. Anyway, after the game, check the tickets. Where were the best results? If in Idaho Falls there were 200 tickets given away but there were 80 no shows, you know that there is interest but to some not enough to follow thru by going to the game. I hope you see where I'm going with this. Anyway, all of this info would be great for the athletic department. Don't go off on the shot gun approach, there's too much waste. Focus on the "give away" success.

Oh, if I remember correctly, last year we discussed an alumni game or something. Again, have a sponsor donate throw back uni's, jerseys or something. Make the game more than a game. Make it an event. People will attend events. Then the athletic department reels them in.

Sorry. I get going and find it hard to stop...

The number one mistake would be giving away 4,000 tickets...because those 4,000 people will hardly ever come back without tickets being free again. Who would buy tickets before a game ever? Why not just wait for free tickets?

I don't discount the theory, but marketing folks who study these things have conclusive studies that show mass ticket giveaways are not the answer. Also, by doing that, we are probably looking at an Oklahoma/Arizona State scenario again, and no one wants that LOL.

I like the ideas though....the more ideas the merrier, because it only takes one....I'm more inclined to do something that we did when Paul was here, and that's give free tickets, which are actually bonus tickets, to a season-ticket or BF member...and let them give them to a friend. Paul did that in his last year and that was good, but we haven't done it since, and it's something to probably revisit.

Now you have free tickets, or bonus tickets, in the hands of the people who paid in advance and bought for the season...keeping those very important folks happy. I'm more included for something like that...thoughts? you guys know me..I'll bring up anything that's worthwhile...

ISUSID

1. Giving away tickets or other efforts to get new faces in the stands will do very little if the new face doesn't see a good game. Seeing a win will help. Even more important, in my view, and recognizing we are bound to lose some games, is that the new face sees a disciplined team that plays fundamentally sound. I can handle watching us get beat by a better team so long as we play disciplined, make few mistakes, use good sportsmanship, and compete whistle to whistle. I can even enjoy that type of game, since we are almost certain to be in the game if we play that way. On the other hand, I cannot handle watching missed assignment after missed assignment, stupid penalties, and poor sportsmanship. When I see that type of play, I don't care to come back to the next game, and neither will the new face. Obviously, this is a fix only the coaches and players can make.

2. A potential suggestion to increase participation in the Bengal Foundation. I don't know how big the Foundation is or what it does because I'm not a member. What is surprising to me is that the Foundation has not solicited my membership in some form or another. As a 32 year-old professional, Pocatello resident, ISU alum, and regular attendee of ISU athletic events, you would think i would have been solicited directly multiple times by now. The most effective solicitation would be from someone I know on the Foundation. Which makes me wonder: does the Foundation have a significant membership or participation by people under 40? I realize that the over-50 crowd has more time and money to devote to the Foundation, but what does the Foundation do to develop younger members who will be part of the over-50 crowd one day?

3. A suggestion for me: invite a friend to a game more often.

4. Keep scheduling football games in the afternoon.

Irwin M. Fletcher said:
1. Giving away tickets or other efforts to get new faces in the stands will do very little if the new face doesn't see a good game. Seeing a win will help. Even more important, in my view, and recognizing we are bound to lose some games, is that the new face sees a disciplined team that plays fundamentally sound. I can handle watching us get beat by a better team so long as we play disciplined, make few mistakes, use good sportsmanship, and compete whistle to whistle. I can even enjoy that type of game, since we are almost certain to be in the game if we play that way. On the other hand, I cannot handle watching missed assignment after missed assignment, stupid penalties, and poor sportsmanship. When I see that type of play, I don't care to come back to the next game, and neither will the new face. Obviously, this is a fix only the coaches and players can make.

2. A potential suggestion to increase participation in the Bengal Foundation. I don't know how big the Foundation is or what it does because I'm not a member. What is surprising to me is that the Foundation has not solicited my membership in some form or another. As a 32 year-old professional, Pocatello resident, ISU alum, and regular attendee of ISU athletic events, you would think i would have been solicited directly multiple times by now. The most effective solicitation would be from someone I know on the Foundation. Which makes me wonder: does the Foundation have a significant membership or participation by people under 40? I realize that the over-50 crowd has more time and money to devote to the Foundation, but what does the Foundation do to develop younger members who will be part of the over-50 crowd one day?

3. A suggestion for me: invite a friend to a game more often.

4. Keep scheduling football games in the afternoon.

You bring up some very good points. The Bengal foundation needs to targeted the younger professional and the nontraditional students. I go to all of the games and also have never been approached. I hope that the marketing and athletic department gets a fire lit under them because most of the ideas that have been discussed on this post would not require a large amount of money just a bit of leg work. I have been impressed with the response on this thread. I think a lot of the people on this board are eager to improve the program. I hope that ISU will listen and use this group and allow us to help.

I think that a Bengal ticket blitz of some kind needs to happen. Give tickets to the season ticket holders but you have got to get the younger fans and getthem and there families to the games. The student section needs to be full how do we get them to the game? I know that everyone does not want to offend the ticket holders or the Bengal foundation, but it is time for new ideas and approaches if they have a problem with it then sorry. I think part of the problem (I know this is going to piss everyone off) is that ISU does not market to the students or the younger professional. The attitude that I think is often portrayed by the Bengal foundation is that the athletics are for the foundation and the season ticket holders not those pesky students. I hope that a spud game happens. I have been thinking about it and the first home game of the season would be the perfect time to do it. The spud game would take leg work and effort to put it together lets see if ISU will do it? As for the alum and hall of fame, they need to be involved as much as possible. I say a golf tournament reunion what ever the alum want to do. But again a lot of organization and leg work. ISU has lots resources available to them they need to go after and use them.

Latest posts

Back