• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

1st half.

Here we go again: the QB situation is still obviously not even close to being resolved after a full season (plus) of Blum and Hill last year, spring practice, fall practice, and an opening game - no matter the opponent and their best defense in decades. Forget about the OU game. With this perpetual seesaw in the offensive leadership, ISU just won't perform with the ball against anyone. Good luck.

The problem is the coaches do not make the QB win the job, they just appoint the starter. Sometimes it seems they make these decisions based on what complaints are coming from this board. I hope not because none of us are qualified to make that decision, were at our best when we can bitch. Every year during fall you should have to prove your worth and ability. Zamberlin saying Blum is in because of intangibles and fire, thats the same as saying he is not as good but he is everyones best friend and a good cheer leader. What does that have to do with being the best player. What did he do during practice and how effective is he in leading the team, thats want I want to know. Not that he has fire, can he get the job done. Being everyones friend is not a prerequisite for playing football or sports in general. Every position should be filled by the best player every year. And you should have to prove this every year to earn the right to play.

Our defense did do a good job and offense did not, that was this game, it could change for the next. Every week will be different. What the coaches need to do is get behind the best players and show loyalty. I did not like the way the decision to sit Hill was handled, the way it was done made Hill the scapegoat for the entire season. I was told the decision to sit Hill was because he was pressing and trying to win games by himself, it was for his best interest to sit him. Then say that, when you make the change, not that Hill did something wrong. Hill did not allow 41 points a game for the season, he never missed one field goal, made one bad snap, or missed one tackle. He went out every week and gave the best he had with what he had to work with and never made one excuse for what happened. How did the coaching staff repay him, they used him as the excuse for our being the worst defense in Div. IAA football. All I hear from coach concerning his defense last year was they had injuries on the DLine, that was the problem. Did they fire the D coordinator for last year, no just made excuses. We did get rid of the O coordinator and blamed the QB when they spent some of the season without a fully effective Thomas, Taylor, and Burel, and were down to one RB at one time, we had no running game to speak of for about three or four games. I never heard the offense using that has an excuse for what was happening.

Plain and simple, I don't care who plays at any position as long as it is the player doing the best job in practice and in games. When I look at the stats from the scrimmages, compare that to what I observe during several practices, and I see the player who is not getting it done rewarded, that makes me worry. Play the best player and no one can with any credibility question your pick, but when you bring in the backup and he out plays the starter, and you look at the stats for the scrimmages and he was out performing the starter there to, not you are open for valid criticism.

I have to agree with alot of what Blackfoot is saying. I think you bring up some very good and valid points.

I saw a much improved D. I saw a much improved Hill too. Maybe Hill played this way all along and me just not see it last year? I had some people over watching the game and i said crap, they are bringing Hill in. I also said he threw too slow and couldn't get the ball there. Well, i ate my words and that perfectly thrown deep pass was right on the money. I was impressed with Hill in the first game. I say let them both play a half again and see what happens. It will be good for the upcoming BSC season. If Hill outplays him again then well? I think we got our answer.

I also want to say AJ Storms is a baller. We got a very good Idaho athlete playing for us. Very impressive.

Last but not least I saw a team that would not quit. I saw a team that had eachothers back and played to the last second with a lot of heart! Go Bengals

I am not willing to say the Blum can't get it done, yet. I would like to see them both rotate by quarters against Oklahoma.

However, Russel Hill would be my pick to lead the team. Hill is not flawless and he does not have the strongest arm in the world. But, he threw for damn near 5000 yards in two seasons and if you look past Oregon State, Idaho and a Northern Colorado game where he threw an ass load of picks--he has done a great job. By the numbers if he played all four seasons he would shatter the ISU record for passing yards. How can he be that bad? Answer, he isn't. He simply understands how to read defenses and where to go with the ball.

If ISU can develop any threat at a running game (and Hill isn't put in positions to try to win games by himself) he could be a very good BSC level quarterback.

With that said, Blum deserves the opportunity to show what he can do against Central Washington and Weber State.

Since neither Hill or Blum stood out against ASU, I say the starter of the OU game goes to whoever is the sharpest this week in practice. We know they both will be competing this week like never before, unless a starter is named in the next 24 hours that is.

It is crazy how fast peoples opinions can change after one half of football!

Latest posts

Back