• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2008 Baseball

Blofeld said:
So if the team was changing at Butler all these years than what is that building attached to the 1st base dugout?

I was under the impression there is a locker room in there?

Blofeld you are right, there is a locker room attached to the UNC dugout. The previous comment also caught me a little off guard because I know that UNC doesn't change at B-H and drive to the field. The only thing that the new soccer facility really provides to baseball is an athletic training facility and lighting in the parking lot.

anon22 said:
Blofeld said:
So if the team was changing at Butler all these years than what is that building attached to the 1st base dugout?

I was under the impression there is a locker room in there?

Blofeld you are right, there is a locker room attached to the UNC dugout. The previous comment also caught me a little off guard because I know that UNC doesn't change at B-H and drive to the field. The only thing that the new soccer facility really provides to baseball is an athletic training facility and lighting in the parking lot.

He could have been confused because I think the football team used to dress in Butler and take a bus to Jackson field (back in the day).

My appologies, I thought that lockers were at BH, because a while back I stumbled across a list of locker room locations on the athletic website, and could have sworn it said baseball's was at BH. I remember thinking that it was pretty bush league, so that is why it stuck with me. But I must have misread the list..

I post this in a lot of threads but I wanted to do it again:

Smallcomb does more with less than any coach at UNC. Baseball, despite having the greatest history/legacy of any sport at UNC, always gets the shaft. They were suppose to get new dugouts and lights in the facility plan but it got axed. They field is in great condition but the dugouts are poor, the scoreboard old, etc. They also lost some scholarships recently and have only 4 or 5 I think. Yet they still go out there and beat teams like Texas A&M that are fully funded and have great facilities, etc.

If the Bears could ever get in a conference (Summit or WAC) then they would be an NCAA Tournament team. No doubt.

How many UNC programs will EVER be able to beat the No. 1 ranked team in the country? I'm not sure, but I have to guess baseball is one of the only ones.

I can only imagine what this program could do with (a) better facilities and (b) a full allottment of scholarships.

Great job team.

It's amazing when you think about it. They beat the number one ranked team in the nation. Yes, baseball isn't the biggest college sport in the country but it's also not equestrian or some other women's sport... I agree, it could be 100 years before this happens again... Of course La Tribuna will have an article about high school track. :(

It is a huge accomplishment. Isn't Arizona State the team that UNC beat to get to one of our college world series appearances? I wanna say they were ranked #1 back then as well. I'm gonna do some research

Actually it was #1 ranked Arizona that UNC beat back in 1974 to get to the CWS. Also, UNC beat #1 USC back in 1955.

Also, UNC has the 12th most CWS appearances in the nation. That is really unbelievable--mostly that the University doesn't take more pride in that team and get it a first rate field. Anyhow, I knew that the history was rich but its crazy to read about. The UNC website actually has a lot of good info in the baseball section. Here is an interesting link about the 1974 squad.

http://uncbears.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/archive/080604aaa.html

All right, fans finally get the chance to SEE the Bears this weekend when South Dakota State visits. Friday, 2pm; Saturday 1pm; Sunday 12pm.

And for those of you not in Greeley, streaming available for all 3, plus the two Nebraska games tomorrow and Wednesday.

I went to a few baseball games as a student (90-94). I thought it was exciting watching DI teams like Wyoming and Air Force. At the time the games were free and the field was like a little league field with the depressign east greeley back drop. We are going to visit Colorado in July and I hope to walk around the Jackson field area to see the improvements.

It's a shame baseball doesn't get more publicity because it's a pretty popular sport in Greeley and it's good quality ball.

Troy,

Any insight into the baseball program being involved in the creation of a new baseball conference?

A little birdy told me this is a very realistic and most likely scenario.

Not a bad fit with:

Utah Valley
Texas - Pan American
Dallas Baptist

also:

Hawaii-Hilo
Longwood
New York Inst Tech

The addition of a new conference that included Utah Valley, Dallas Baptist, and UT-Pan American doesn't seem like a bad fit. However, I'm not sure that budgets could handle the strain of travel to the likes of Hilo to New York to Virginia.

Latest posts

Back