• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2016-2019 Football Schedules

Talking a football scenario (only), Wildcat's split would be OK to a Weber State fan, but then a NAU interest might differ, and frankly in football as a WSU fan, I like the rivalry with SUU on a yearly basis. I've read & said it before, Idaho's interests are in the northern teams rivalries, they would preferably switch out Weber & Northern Colorado for EWU & PSU, my bet. Should be interesting what with all of the voices at the table, but initially for a couple years, you'll likely see two divisions under one Big Sky Conference. :twocents:

AlumniWSU said:
Talking a football scenario (only), Wildcat's split would be OK to a Weber State fan, but then a NAU interest might differ, and frankly in football as a WSU fan, I like the rivalry with SUU on a yearly basis. I've read & said it before, Idaho's interests are in the northern teams rivalries, they would preferably switch out Weber & Northern Colorado for EWU & PSU, my bet. Should be interesting what with all of the voices at the table, but initially for a couple years, you'll likely see two divisions under one Big Sky Conference. :twocents:

Even with that split the two schools could still schedule a yearly OOC game. Same goes for Eastern and Montana or Eastern and Idaho. I can see moving Idaho to the "PCC" and taking either SUU or NAU, "my vote goes to NAU" but then you would be separating them and lets face it the NAU/SUU series is a bigger rivalry than Weber/SUU. Of all the options of possible splits, none of them would make everybody happy, My only wish be that the founding members stay together.

I know it is just wishful thinking... but I'd actually like to see a smaller Big Sky Conference.
Ideal Big Sky Conference
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona

That way all teams could play each other every year, and it keeps all traditional rivals together. Schedules would be something like this...
7 conference games
1 FBS money game
1 DII gimme
2 OOC games

The California schools, psu, north Dakota, northern Colorado... they just don't really move the needle for me.

And on the topic of FBS games...
I really think we ought to focus on FBS programs locally and in the intermountain west. I strongly believe that one of the keys to building the Weber brand is to attract in state and regional recruits. Lets not kid anyone... We aren't going into California or Texas or the East Coast to snag a highly touted recruit. That being said, we ought to play our FBS games against regional opponents to get a little more exposure in an actual potential recruiting base, and we don't burn up all the money we receive in travel costs.

I think any time we can play Utah State, Utah, or BYU, it is an ideal situation for us. We should aim to schedule one of those three each year for our FBS game. In addition to the money, the games will be covered heavily in local media. There are lots of decent recruits who would love to play at BYU or Utah but just don't have the skill set. I want Weber to be the first team they think of in this case.

In the case where we can't schedule one of those three, we ought to schedule a Mountain West opponent in a potential recruiting market. I'm thinking of other programs in the Intermountain West, namely: Boise State, Nevada, UNLV... Besides the check, I just don't really see what it does for us to go to a PAC-12 school (besides Utah) and get beat by 40 points... It's a very depressing way to start the season.

So since 2012 when Poly, Davis, SUU and UND became members and up to the 2017 season Weber will have played each team this many times. (Conf games only, OOC doesn't count, and SUU and ISU are not added since we play them every year, also only going to 2017 since Idalol is joining in 2018 so our 2018 and 19 schedules are shot.)

Cal Poly
2012- Ogden
2013- SLO
2014- Ogden
2016- Ogden
2017- SLO

Eastern Washington
2012- Ogden
2013- Cheney
2015- Cheney
2017- Cheney

Montana
2012- Ogden
2013- Missoula
2015- Missoula
2017- Ogden

Montana State
2013- Ogden
2014- Bozeman
2016- Ogden
2017- Bozeman

North Dakota
2014- Grand Forks
2015- Ogden
2016- Grand Forks

Northern Arizona
2014- Ogden
2015- Flagstaff
2016- Ogden

Northern Colorado
2012- Ogden
2014- Ogden
2015- Greeley

Portland State
2013- Portland
2014- Ogden
2016- Ogden
2017- Portland

Sacramento State
2012- Sacramento
2013- Ogden

UC Davis
2012- Davis
2015- Ogden
2016- Davis
2017- Ogden

Cal Poly- 5. 3 in Ogden, 2 in SLO (Maybe Poly should be our new rival, we have played them the most.)
Eastern Wash- 4. 1 in Ogden, 3 in Cheney (WTF?)
Montana- 4. 2 in Ogden, 2 in Missoula
Montana State- 4. 2 in Ogden, 2 in Bozeman
Portland State- 4. 2 in Ogden, 2 in Portland
UC Davis- 4. 2 in Ogden, 2 in Davis
North Dakota- 3. 1 in Ogden, 2 in Grand Forks
Northern Arizona- 3. 2 in Ogden, 1 in Flagstaff
Northern Colorado- 3. 2 in Ogden, 1 in Greeley
Sacramento State- 2. 1 In Ogden, 1 in Sacramento

Looking at it you can tell that aside from the EWU series its pretty balanced home and away, at least for Weber it is.

Weber and Sac have not played a conf game against each other since 2013 and were not slated to till 2018. :?:

Another interesting note, Weber State and Northern Colorado are the only 2 schools that play both their rivals both at home or both on the road every year, all the other schools have one home and one away.

Geo-Guy15 said:
I know it is just wishful thinking... but I'd actually like to see a smaller Big Sky Conference.
Ideal Big Sky Conference
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona

Nothing against the Cali schools, PSU UNC and UND but...... :+1: :nod:

WILDCAT said:
Geo-Guy15 said:
Ideal Big Sky Conference
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona

:+1: :+1: too bad what the fans would like matters to no one.

SWWeatherCat said:
WILDCAT said:
Geo-Guy15 said:
Ideal Big Sky Conference
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona

:thumb: Agree, best arrangement to me also....would add on to SWWeatherCat's valid point "too bad what the fans would like matters to no one" in charge!. Hopefully, the new Commish will become open to what the fans want, included with the most important student athletes.

AlumniWSU said:
SWWeatherCat said:
WILDCAT said:
Geo-Guy15 said:
Ideal Big Sky Conference
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona

:thumb: Agree, best arrangement to me also....would add on to SWWeatherCat's valid point "too bad what the fans would like matters to no one" in charge!. Hopefully, the new Commish will become open to what the fans want, included with the most important student athletes.

I want that conference just as bad as the next Wildcat fan, but lets be honest, the Big Sky commish is going to do what she and the Big Sky officials think is best for the conference, not what the fans think is best. The Big Sky will not be dropping any of it's current members, nor should they.

WILDCAT said:
I want that conference just as bad as the next Wildcat fan, but lets be honest, the Big Sky commish is going to do what she and the Big Sky officials think is best for the conference, not what the fans think is best. The Big Sky will not be dropping any of it's current members, nor should they.

Yes, you're probably correct with that...in an interview with her, it was said the need for determining if the BSC is at the right size will happen. More growth to happen, really?

I'd bet that most fans, observers, would say the conference is too big at 14...it stands to reason that even the admin people are aware of that realistic conclusion...for what is best for the conference. It leads to the notion that in football at least, two separate groups, be it FCS "conferences" or "divisions" will come about eventually. If it does, can only hope for the makeup proposed.

Basketball, perhaps another matter, but wouldn't think a break to two groups will be likely what with the NCAA auto bid rules; still going to be a scheduling nightmare and too big for any "conference unity". :twocents:

AlumniWSU said:
WILDCAT said:

Yes, you're probably correct with that...in an interview with her, it was said the need for determining if the BSC is at the right size will happen. More growth to happen, really?

I'd bet that most fans, observers, would say the conference is too big at 14...it stands to reason that even the admin people are aware of that realistic conclusion...for what is best for the conference. It leads to the notion that in football at least, two separate groups, be it FCS "conferences" or "divisions" will come about eventually. If it does, can only hope for the makeup proposed.

Basketball, perhaps another matter, but wouldn't think a break to two groups will be likely what with the NCAA auto bid rules; still going to be a scheduling nightmare and too big for any "conference unity". :twocents:

There is definitely gonna be a split in football, whether it be divisions or separate conferences (both FCS, sorry Idalol). Which Im sure there is some big time communication going on in the Big Sky offices about which Idea would be best.

What would be Ideal for basketball would to make it a complete 22 game conf schedule. Everyone plays everyone twice. :nod:

Heard a rumor that the Sky might go from an 8 game schedule to a 9 game conference schedule after Idaho fully rejoins in 2018. If the NCAA allows the FCS to go to 12, that would still give the conference's teams 3 OOC games. If this rumor is true, I wouldn't be against it. I don't like the chance of having to play 5 conference road games, but I do like the possibility of playing 5 conference home games.

N.OgdenCat said:
Heard a rumor that the Sky might go from an 8 game schedule to a 9 game conference schedule after Idaho fully rejoins in 2018. If the NCAA allows the FCS to go to 12, that would still give the conference's teams 3 OOC games. If this rumor is true, I wouldn't be against it. I don't like the chance of having to play 5 conference road games, but I do like the possibility of playing 5 conference home games.

Hope the BSC does go to a 9 game yearly schedule...more interesting to fans & more meaningful to the team/coaches...much better than adding a DII or DIII patsie game! :thumb:

AlumniWSU said:
N.OgdenCat said:

Hope the BSC does go to a 9 game yearly schedule...more interesting to fans & more meaningful to the team/coaches...much better than adding a DII or DIII patsie game! :thumb:

I'm ok with the 9 conference games as long as Weber isn't playing 6 road conference games every year, it needs to be alternating every other year or not at all, I don't want Weber playing 6 road games every year like the 3 times in a row Weber will be playing in Cheney.

WILDCAT said:
AlumniWSU said:
N.OgdenCat said:

I'm ok with the 9 conference games as long as Weber isn't playing 6 road conference games every year, it needs to be alternating every other year or not at all, I don't want Weber playing 6 road games every year like the 3 times in a row Weber will be playing in Cheney.

I like this concept. It will help the conference find a more "legitimate" conference champ instead of having to suffer through the crap excuses: Soft Schedule, they didn't have to play the Montanas, they got all the top teams at home...etc etc etc (to read more, please visit EGriz).

Wildcat, I'm pretty sure the conference is going to do a 4 home/5away for half of the conference one season and then the next season the teams will switch. So, I'm guessing, like N.Ogden said that some seasons we will love the schedule and others we wont. But, it needs to be equal. No matter, this will only work, if FCS is allowed a 12 game schedule every year.

talhadfoursteals said:
WILDCAT said:
AlumniWSU said:
N.OgdenCat said:

I like this concept. It will help the conference find a more "legitimate" conference champ instead of having to suffer through the crap excuses: Soft Schedule, they didn't have to play the Montanas, they got all the top teams at home...etc etc etc (to read more, please visit EGriz).

Wildcat, I'm pretty sure the conference is going to do a 4 home/5away for half of the conference one season and then the next season the teams will switch. So, I'm guessing, like N.Ogden said that some seasons we will love the schedule and others we wont. But, it needs to be equal. No matter, this will only work, if FCS is allowed a 12 game schedule every year.

That is what I meant, for some reason I had the 12 game schedule on the mind while reading it :oops:

Hey guys,

I am getting antsy for football and noticed that Weber also plays South Dakota in non conference. On the Sioux Sports forum we get some USD posters and some of them seem to thing Weber and UND are sure wins. I wanted to drop in and say I hope you kick their butts. Cheers.

UNDColorado said:
Hey guys,

I am getting antsy for football and noticed that Weber also plays South Dakota in non conference. On the Sioux Sports forum we get some USD posters and some of them seem to thing Weber and UND are sure wins. I wanted to drop in and say I hope you kick their butts. Cheers.
Thanks. Not sure why the fans of a team with a losing record last season and a new coach would be so confident this season. With the Weber game being in Vermillion I think that game could easily go either way and it's certainly not a sure win for either team.

SWeberCat02 said:
UNDColorado said:
Hey guys,

Thanks. Not sure why the fans of a team with a losing record last season and a new coach would be so confident this season. With the Weber game being in Vermillion I think that game could easily go either way and it's certainly not a sure win for either team.

We will give the Yotes all they can handle and more. They are in for a rude awakening when they play the Cats and the Hawks.

Yeah I don't understand their confidence either. They also lost a pro level D lineman as he transferred up. They have a lot of questions but they seem to think that playing in the vaunted MVFC is all they need to win. Pretty dumb line of thinking but I say let them keep talking. They will be quiet by week 4.

We play each other again. What are the bright spots of your team this year?

I'll be absolutely honest, I have no idea what to expect from USD. Seems like they have a decent offensive line and okay QB, like Weber (QB, not OL. Weber's OL is highly under-rated). They seemed like a smash-mouthed football team, similar to Weber, yet, we like to spread things out a bit more. On defense, looks like a 4-3, much like ours. We really could be looking into a mirror when talking about USD or for that matter, UND.

Joe Glen was an easy one to assess. Their new coach could shake things up quite a bit. If he does, he'll run into the Stitt dilemma. Where he tries to run a specific system, but doesn't have the guys to run his stuff. If I was a Coyotes fan I would be somewhat hesitant. I personally don't see that happening. Nielsen seemed to employ a similar system -one in which Joe Glen utilized throughout his career- at Western Illinois (weird to hire a coach from the same league).

They have the edge, since they get us at their place and it will be the second straight road game for the Cats. Do I think it will be an easy win for the Coyotes, HELL NO. I don't think they understand how improved the Cats are. Weber will only get better each year that Jay is our coach. :evil: There is an excellent chance that the Cats walk into their dome and come out with a W.

Latest posts

Back