• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Another School (Missouri State) Jumps to FBS

Kadeezy

It's more and more obvious that Group of 5 (maybe 6?) is the new FCS. Those left behind in the FCS ranks will become the defacto DII. I still hope Mark Orr is pulling strings in the background and keeping tabs on the PAC-2/MWC plans, because I think there's a way to move top tier FCS programs (and budgets) to the FBS level and to save football in the West.

My pipedream plan involves an alliance between the MWC and new (6th) Group of 5 conference - we'll call is the Snow Belt. 10 teams in each, realigned for travel and competitive balance for all sports.

9 conference games each, 3 OOC per year to allow for regional $ games against Big 10 and Big 12 defectors, play up/down, and regional rivalries (Wazzu and UW for example).

Mountain West
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Nevada
UNLV
Fresno State
San Jose State
Oregon State
Washington State
Hawaii
San Diego State

Snow Belt
Montana
Montana State
South Dakota State
North Dakota State
Boise State
Utah State
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
New Mexico

While I'm definitely against Sac moving to FBS, if we do, those proposed leagues look pretty decent, Kadeezy. They fit my criteria of a relatively small geographic footprint and having 9-10 teams, which usually allows for a single round-robin conference schedule and some room for judicious OOC scheduling in football and ten teams allows for the travel partner concept in hoops. And outside of the Pac-2 teams you've placed in the Mountain West and Wyoming and New Mexico (ESPECIALLY New Mexico) in your "Snow Belt" proposed league, they're all of relatively equivalent quality. You should be a league president, K....

GCU and Seattle U to WCC. WAC is just about dead.
Yeah looks like baseball will need to find a home soon as some of the Texas schools are going back to the Southland.

Internet rumors are UNC and the WAC Utah schools to the Summit as a possibility. UNC leaving the BSC would mean BSC softball would fall below the minimum 6 member status and lose its automatic qualifier status.

Yeah looks like baseball will need to find a home soon as some of the Texas schools are going back to the Southland.

Internet rumors are UNC and the WAC Utah schools to the Summit as a possibility. UNC leaving the BSC would mean BSC softball would fall below the minimum 6 member status and lose its automatic qualifier status.

Weirdly, this helps our case to find/create a new conference. The amorphous membership for a lot of the Oly sports across so many conferences is terrible.

• Most of Sacramento State’s sports are affiliated with the Big Sky Conference.
  • Baseball is a member of the Western Athletic Conference
  • Men’s Soccer and Beach Volleyball are members of the Big West Conference.
  • Gymnastics is a member of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.
  • Rowing is a member of the American Athletic Conference.

Weirdly, this helps our case to find/create a new conference. The amorphous membership for a lot of the Oly sports across so many conferences is terrible.

• Most of Sacramento State’s sports are affiliated with the Big Sky Conference.
  • Baseball is a member of the Western Athletic Conference
  • Men’s Soccer and Beach Volleyball are members of the Big West Conference.
  • Gymnastics is a member of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.
  • Rowing is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
I don't think so. Keeping/maintaining a home for football is all that matters. We'll be in the Big Sky for the long haul unless a more regional football conference shakes out from the next/current realignment wave. The non-BSC sports can find affiliate membership somewhere as has been the case for all these years so far.

I'm hoping the PAC can reconstitute itself with some of the MW membership and we end up in a regional football conference comprised of remnants of the MW lineup that doesn't make the PAC cut.

Latest posts

Back