• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Are the Bengals going after any local kids?

After reading about Idaho Falls area product Jared Stutzman who just finished 9th grade getting an offer to play in the PAC 12 for the University of Utah
http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/52211575-77/utah-state-deng-foot.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wondering if there are any east idaho players the Bengals need to go after before they all go out of state?

ahh, yaa... duh... most major programs are offering incoming 10th and 11th graders... maybe thats why THEY win. And maybe the thinking of spudbowl has kept ISU from being succesful. When do the Bengals start looking at local kids? What high school game did you see ISU coaches at looking at east Idaho kids, or even Idaho kids? Century or Poky games? Skyline or Hillcrest games?
Offering incoming 10 and 11th graders is happening soon. True talent can be seen now, developed over the years. Winning programs get that.

This staff has failed to recognize local talent, but it's not at the stage where it can look for talent 5 or 6 years out either.

Fredpurdue wrote:
"ahh, yaa... duh... most major programs are offering incoming 10th and 11th graders... maybe thats why THEY win. And maybe the thinking of spudbowl has kept ISU from being succesful. When do the Bengals start looking at local kids? What high school game did you see ISU coaches at looking at east Idaho kids, or even Idaho kids? Century or Poky games? Skyline or Hillcrest games?
Offering incoming 10 and 11th graders is happening soon. True talent can be seen now, developed over the years. Winning programs get that."

I don't think a 9th grader is ready to make a decision where to play college ball. In the 9th grade you should be worrying about pimples and where to ride your bike. I just don't like the whole athletic culture these days where kids have to play one sport year around, travel around, go to summer camps, have YouTube videos, etc. Let kids be kids. Sports should be a form of exercise and fun and a way to learn how to compete. I see parents with kids with no talent thinking their kid is going to be a college football or basketball player and pushing them when they should just let the kid be a kid. I am sure this player is a special player and a great bb player but for everyone player like these there are dozens of kids losing their childhood for their or their parents' dreams --sorry, I love sports but it doesn't rule my world and signing kids to a letter of intent crosses a boundary for me.

As for Idaho kids, the recent crop of Idaho kids playing major college basketball has been a small one. Nobody was a bigger fan of Schroeder and Kinghorn than I was (not to mention Potter, Holston, Hayes, Denkers, Wilkenson, Krahn, etc.) but again I hear parents in the community saying that their kid could play at ISU when in reality they could not play at the DI level.

spudbowl said:
Fredpurdue wrote:
"ahh, yaa... duh... most major programs are offering incoming 10th and 11th graders... maybe thats why THEY win. And maybe the thinking of spudbowl has kept ISU from being succesful. When do the Bengals start looking at local kids? What high school game did you see ISU coaches at looking at east Idaho kids, or even Idaho kids? Century or Poky games? Skyline or Hillcrest games?
Offering incoming 10 and 11th graders is happening soon. True talent can be seen now, developed over the years. Winning programs get that."

I don't think a 9th grader is ready to make a decision where to play college ball. In the 9th grade you should be worrying about pimples and where to ride your bike. I just don't like the whole athletic culture these days where kids have to play one sport year around, travel around, go to summer camps, have YouTube videos, etc. Let kids be kids. Sports should be a form of exercise and fun and a way to learn how to compete. I see parents with kids with no talent thinking their kid is going to be a college football or basketball player and pushing them when they should just let the kid be a kid. I am sure this player is a special player and a great bb player but for everyone player like these there are dozens of kids losing their childhood for their or their parents' dreams --sorry, I love sports but it doesn't rule my world and signing kids to a letter of intent crosses a boundary for me.

As for Idaho kids, the recent crop of Idaho kids playing major college basketball has been a small one. Nobody was a bigger fan of Schroeder and Kinghorn than I was (not to mention Potter, Holston, Hayes, Denkers, Wilkenson, Krahn, etc.) but again I hear parents in the community saying that their kid could play at ISU when in reality they could not play at the DI level.

Spud, that was well said. I never liked the concept of signing kids early; no respecting and loving parent would live their little athletic fantasies through their kids.

No one is signing a letter of intent. If you guys are as savy to high school sports or high school kids as you project you would know that signing happens the senior year. You are absolutely correct that the vast majority of high school kids are not college material- only a very small percentage of high school basektball players play college. And yes, there are some marginal players who parents push them.

That is not what we are talking about here. There are 3 or 4 players every year out of Idaho that play D-1 ball and it seems ISU is very late on picking these kids up. Kinghorn was late. Right now at Rigby is Dyaln Jones. A D-1 candidate.

Not very often a Sophmore or Junior gets looked at by D-1 programs. In this case a kid from Bonnevile got a PAC 12 offer after finishing his 9th grade year. He can not sign til much later and the article did not say he accepted. He should not. But if we have PAC 12 caliber players in Idaho you would think the ISU, BSU and other schools should be making a run at him to keep him local.

If you were an ISU fan you would say "I certainly hope so!" I have no idea...why dont you ask him sometime? If I grew up in eastern Idaho and could dom it up in the Big Sky close to home in front of family and friends I would think that would be attractive. Is ISU ever going to be good enough to get the attention of the few local kids good enough to go D-1?

So you would turn down a PAC 12 scholarship and a chance to play on a National Stage to play in the BIg Sky? I love the Bengals, but lets be realistic.

It would be hard for ISU to compete with a local high school kid who is fielding offers from Pac12 type programs. You still express interest and open a line of communication. The thing is, situations and priorities change. When Joe was asked if he ever went after Jardine from Twin Falls, who now plays for USU, he never really answered the question. He just said something like "we can't compete with Utah State for recruits."

You still try to recruit every local player. That doesn't mean you spend the bulk of your time and money on a kid who you know has to interest in playing here. It does build your local networks, and like I said, things change. A kid might not like playing so far from home and wants to transfer closer to home. Maybe he doesn't want to spend time on the bench, but he knows he could get a lot of playing time here. Set yourself up for down the road.

On the other hand, going after players who don't have any other division 1 offers, because it increases your odds of landing that player, only gives us the situation we now have.

Sasquatch, you just said it perfectly, and nothing more on this topic need be said.. Our hoops program is in the sooriest shape imaginable.

I think everyone is overlooking a few things. 1.) Not sure about this year but look at last years rosters for the 3 In-State Schools, ISU-0 In State kids, Boise St-0 In state kids, Idaho-1 Walk on. Nobody has instate kids. 2.) This is a state of small schools and football is king, if you can play D-1 Basketball you are probably a skills player on your HS Football team. If Boise offers you to be a Walkon or some other D1 gives you a Football offer are you going to come to ISU for Basketball?

Nobody in State recruits in state kids because it looks like either they can't help the team or they have an offer to leave for a higher level or they want to play football at Boise, Montana, or a Utah School.

I can think of at least 10 Idaho kids who have played division I basketball out of state over the last couple of years. I also KNOW that ISU didn't even bother to contact several of these guys. This is just off the top of my head and doesn't even count guys going the JC route who still have division I potential.

Shawn Reid
Trevor Morris
Mitch Bruneel
Kyle Davis
Nick Hansen
Josh Fuller
Kyle Dranginis
Wil Carter
Will Bogan
Brady Jardine

Again, OUT OF STATE. Nobody plays in state. Either they are too good to want to play at the In-State Schools or they want to go away from home. Can't fault ISU if they lose a Kid to Utah Schools or other schools that are farther away. Most kids if given the chance would really like to get away from home and see a different part of the world.

sasquatch said:
I can think of at least 10 Idaho kids who have played division I basketball out of state over the last couple of years. I also KNOW that ISU didn't even bother to contact several of these guys. This is just off the top of my head and doesn't even count guys going the JC route who still have division I potential.

Shawn Reid
Trevor Morris
Mitch Bruneel
Kyle Davis
Nick Hansen
Josh Fuller
Kyle Dranginis
Wil Carter
Will Bogan
Brady Jardine

I can confirm that ISU worked on several of these players...and the answer was "no"

When Joe got here there was Kinghorn and a kid from Salmon and a poky kid.

They have not actively recruited local kids. Fuller is returning from his mission to go to WEBER STATE, not back to the Utes.

How many high school games do you see ISU at in eastern Idaho? I have heard in Utah there are coaches at all the big high school games- there are 6 d1 schools in that state. They build relationships with the players for years. It might work in Idaho

Good point Fred, I wouldn't think or hope that the staffs for any ISU teams would not want Idaho kids. A Local player from Idaho that could come in and play right would be great. Hopefully some of the local talent will consider ISU in the future.

Latest posts

Back