• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Athletic Facilities

Wow Portland State and Idaho are playing in new arenas and this is our answer. Embarrassing! Would have been better to spend the $5 million on a better lobby and bathrooms for the Nest. Probably could have also improved the concessions and put in some form of beer garden at the end of the court for that amount of money. No seat backs for division 1 basketball? We need new leadership. If we can’t do better we might as well go back to playing in the conference with Chico State and Sonoma State.

Here is the official Sac State release on the fee increase. An alternative consultation process is being used instead of a student referendum, so the question isn't if fees will increase, it's by how much.

Info on the Instructional Related Activities (IRA) fee increase. It's been $8 since 1993, long past time to add a few zeros to this fee.

Info on the Rec Sports fee increase. Would kick in funds towards athletic facilities.

Info on Intercollegiate Athletics and Spirit fee increase.

Options on the table are to bump up the Athletics fee from $10.8M a year to either $12.3M or $15.3M. This would essentially provide a slush fund for all of the athletics facilities to be upgraded (and increase operating budgets to remain competitive in the D1 landscape). I would assume bonds could be taken out against future revenues so that large scale projects (events center, upgraded Hornet Stadium) could be funded.

I hope President Wood goes with the maximum amount for all these fees in question. It's going to be quite the sight seeing the proletariat crying about tuition and fees being raised by their Dear Leader.

Mind blowing what a great value a Sac State Tuition still is. I’ve put 4 kids through UC’s dropping over $40K yr to include some housing & food etc.
Yet these guys whine when getting a great value. Clearly if they can’t pay few hundred more per year then you should step aside and give up your seat to another student.

$5M stop gap for the school’s second most valuable sport is embarrassing. The construction company took the school for a ride charging that kind of money for a few new doors and some high school bleachers. I’d have personally continued to play in the Nest until a more permanent solution (locker room and restroom) was sorted out. This is absolutely not the way forward. Makes it feel cheap. We all know with the kind of budget we’re dealing with, “temporary” will not be temporary.
I build things for a living, nothing is cheap these days, especially not with inflation thanks to all the money printing for Ukraine that has been going on. $5M seems steep but not overly egregious IMO. A new events center (done right) will easily clear a quarter of a billion dollars.

Mind blowing what a great value a Sac State Tuition still is. I’ve put 4 kids through UC’s dropping over $40K yr to include some housing & food etc.
Yet these guys whine when getting a great value. Clearly if they can’t pay few hundred more per year then you should step aside and give up your seat to another student.
A CSU education is a screaming deal, especially if you get a degree in something useful like STEM.

I don't think it is right to judge someone for not wanting to pay an additional fee that is more than a couple hundred dollars per year. Value or not, they would be asked to pay an increased fee while the CSU tuition is also increasing 6% a year for the next 5 years. I hope the fee is implemented but that is easy for me to say since I am not the one paying.

I don't think it is right to judge someone for not wanting to pay an additional fee that is more than a couple hundred dollars per year. Value or not, they would be asked to pay an increased fee while the CSU tuition is also increasing 6% a year for the next 5 years. I hope the fee is implemented but that is easy for me to say since I am not the one paying.
I wasn’t judging good or bad. It’s not about feelings. A university offers both an education and a student experience.
Very simple. If you don’t want football move to Chico state, Hayward, Humboldt, Stanislaus. Make room for another student that wants that type of college experience.

A CSU education is a screaming deal, especially if you get a degree in something useful like STEM.
I did business. I have zero regret and got a tremendous ROI on my educational investment. Excellent college memories and friendships from Sac State. The fact that it is such a bargain price and such a great business school people should be excited to have such a program. The CSU delivers value. Thankfully Sac State also delivers a nice student experience with a premier sport in men’s football. Things are not free.

Other CSU’s can save you few hundred bucks if you don’t like college football. Chico / Stanislaus / Sonoma / Hayward etc,

I did business. I have zero regret and got a tremendous ROI on my educational investment. Excellent college memories and friendships from Sac State. The fact that it is such a bargain price and such a great business school people should be excited to have such a program. The CSU delivers value. Thankfully Sac State also delivers a nice student experience with a premier sport in men’s football. Things are not free.

Other CSU’s can save you few hundred bucks if you don’t like college football. Chico / Stanislaus / Sonoma / Hayward etc,
What year did you graduate? While the price of education in the CSU is still reasonable, it is the cost of living that is skyrocketed and where most students accrue debt.Even though I am an follower and donor to the program I can't get on board with the view of go somewhere else if you don't like college football. In reality, most Sac State students don't care about the football team and will never attend a game. I guess under your rationale, they should all transfer to Cal Poly Humboldt.

What year did you graduate? While the price of education in the CSU is still reasonable, it is the cost of living that is skyrocketed and where most students accrue debt.Even though I am an follower and donor to the program I can't get on board with the view of go somewhere else if you don't like college football. In reality, most Sac State students don't care about the football team and will never attend a game. I guess under your rationale, they should all transfer to Cal Poly Humboldt.
Cost of living is independent of CSU tuition and fees. Room and board is just called rent and groceries for non-college students that move out of the house. There are lots of cheap(er)/affordable options, without the need to accrue student loan debt, for a college degree in CA. IMO it all comes down to how bad students want to pursue it and how far outside of their comfort zone they want to go.

I see and understand both sides of this argument, but given the propensity of every institution in this state to pass the costs down to its constituents, I don't see how the current situation on campus is is no different. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not but that's the breaks.

When selecting a university to attend. You do your research, you do a campus visit etc. You then make a decision.
How can they make these choice to attend SAC ST then say they don’t like football and don’t want to spend $ on the team. They applied to the wrong university. Commuter school for those not interested in the college experience should attend another CSU without Football. (Chico, Sonoma, Hayward, Stanislaus)
I lived in a house with Fraternity brothers and it was very economical (rent $ divided by 5). Throw a party periodically charge $5 raise money for rent, it’s not hard to be creative. The 90’s. Great Experience. CSU has plenty of options to choose from find another school if you are not wanting the college experience. Bye Felicia’s

Last edited:
Cost of living is independent of CSU tuition and fees. Room and board is just called rent and groceries for non-college students that move out of the house. There are lots of cheap(er)/affordable options, without the need to accrue student loan debt, for a college degree in CA. IMO it all comes down to how bad students want to pursue it and how far outside of their comfort zone they want to go.

I see and understand both sides of this argument, but given the propensity of every institution in this state to pass the costs down to its constituents, I don't see how the current situation on campus is is no different. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not but that's the breaks.
I lived in Dorms it was affordable my freshman year, the commissary had a food card that was reasonable. Make friends. Find a house within few miles of campus and get 3-4 roommates.
Get a part time job like we all did. This generation is not very reselient.

I lived in Dorms it was affordable my freshman year, the commissary had a food card that was reasonable. Make friends. Find a house within few miles of campus and get 3-4 roommates.
I think you’ll find that most people going to Sac State ARE working in the Sacramento area.

At least Sac is 76% full time. Portland State is 63%, and given proximity to downtown, it’s really handy for continuing education. What I’m also seeing from Sac State data is a relatively large percentage of “first generation” students, so there’s less “ingrained in the family” ties for a large percentage of students… not exactly people who are tuned to athletics. Or even students whose father went to the rival school (raises hand for my post-PSU time). :D

Anyway, good luck with the declining student population issue.

I think you’ll find that most people going to Sac State ARE working in the Sacramento area.

At least Sac is 76% full time. Portland State is 63%, and given proximity to downtown, it’s really handy for continuing education. What I’m also seeing from Sac State data is a relatively large percentage of “first generation” students, so there’s less “ingrained in the family” ties for a large percentage of students… not exactly people who are tuned to athletics. Or even students whose father went to the rival school (raises hand for my post-PSU time). :D

This post is way off the mark, student engagement/attendance at FB games has been stellar these past few years, winning does that. Attendance is up as well. Our problem is fan experience due to crap facilities at Hornet Stadium. I think we'd see much better gates if the atmosphere gets improved.

Pertaining to student enrollment, we're nearly at 31k, not sure where the declining student population quip comes from.

Any chance PSU gets their games back in Providence Park or are home games for Viking football at that rec center the norm from here on out?

The galley was decent, but it wasn't perfect. It's also arranged poorly (or at least it was the two years I was in the dorm right next door. It was set up so that you had to swipe your card before you even saw what was available. I still remember the day the food was so bad that I took one look at it, walked right back out, and went back to my dorm room to rip open my one and only MRE. I hope they got that fixed.

That said, there was a food court somewhere along the way from the dorm to the classroom buildings that had an incredible creperie where I dearly loved to go. The guy running that shop was amazing....

Pounder…. I think you replied to wrong comment? I never mentioned what % people work in SAC or student population?
SAC ST has a solid student body. My comments were about doing research for which university a students wants to attend.
When you apply to a university that has D1 athletics and Football. It’s part of the experience that campus offers.
If you do not want to pay for D1 sports you might save a tiny amount if you attend a school that doesn’t care about sports.
Sonoma , Chico, Stanislaus, Hayward. Examples.
Portland State is another state not part of the CSU and it’s not local.
Anyways… have a good day

We are NOT Northwestern, but they built a temporary stadium for ONE season, made of bleachers, PGA tour stands, and colorful wraps like ours, but 10x better. Would be top 4 in BSC. They’ll have their new stadium done and will tear this down after 4 months. Meanwhile we have something worse that’s in year 30? lol…

Pounder…. I think you replied to wrong comment? I never mentioned what % people work in SAC or student population?
SAC ST has a solid student body. My comments were about doing research for which university a students wants to attend.
When you apply to a university that has D1 athletics and Football. It’s part of the experience that campus offers.
If you do not want to pay for D1 sports you might save a tiny amount if you attend a school that doesn’t care about sports.
Sonoma , Chico, Stanislaus, Hayward. Examples.
Portland State is another state not part of the CSU and it’s not local.
Anyways… have a good day
You’re going off about people doing their research. I’m talking about a large number of schools being a situation of necessity for applicants. I’m talking about, NATIONWIDE, student populations being in decline for the foreseeable future. The greater subtext of what I’m talking about is networks paying two conferences to play (and play tougher schedules) while beginning to starve out the rest of college football.

I’ve seen a couple of PSU fans reiterate their disgust at the administration after Saturday’s debacle (not quite recognizing that Washington State is playing like their athletic department NEEDS to show themselves in order to be promoted… which it does). It’s hard for me (or most people) to see PSU compete well in the NIL era, probably even worse if students end up as school employees. It’s also hard for me to see any but flagship schools be able to afford the sport in a few years. Sac has to keep being good, and I’m not certain that’s enough.

We are NOT Northwestern, but they built a temporary stadium for ONE season, made of bleachers, PGA tour stands, and colorful wraps like ours, but 10x better. Would be top 4 in BSC. They’ll have their new stadium done and will tear this down after 4 months. Meanwhile we have something worse that’s in year 30? lol…
It’s their soccer/lacrosse stadium with temp bleachers on both ends, so some of this was already built. One of the ends has bleachers on the football practice field. Easy to tell if you streamed enough (or just surfed through the B1G Network) to catch a Northwestern soccer game or two with Lake Michigan as the backdrop.

However, they’ll play November games at Wrigley.

You’re going off about people doing their research. I’m talking about a large number of schools being a situation of necessity for applicants. I’m talking about, NATIONWIDE, student populations being in decline for the foreseeable future. The greater subtext of what I’m talking about is networks paying two conferences to play (and play tougher schedules) while beginning to starve out the rest of college football.

I’ve seen a couple of PSU fans reiterate their disgust at the administration after Saturday’s debacle (not quite recognizing that Washington State is playing like their athletic department NEEDS to show themselves in order to be promoted… which it does). It’s hard for me (or most people) to see PSU compete well in the NIL era, probably even worse if students end up as school employees. It’s also hard for me to see any but flagship schools be able to afford the sport in a few years. Sac has to keep being good, and I’m not certain that’s enough.
My concern is selfish as I only care about our Sac State Program and our growth into a G5 FBS team.

The elite are taking the 80% and if we can get into a G5 we will have a substantially stronger foundation financially for the future.

The quality of the students is a concern. Will they graduate and become alumni donors? I’ve read many universities lowered entrances standards to get more minorities. It dilutes the universities reputation and looks awful when the graduation rates begin to drop.
Good news is not our problem. The universities are following policies being handed down to them from politicians. Governors / Chancelors being funded and fed policy.
SAC STATE is is a well populated region so holding the 31,000 range should be sustainable.
Go Hornets

Latest posts

Back