• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Biggest news in PSU history?

PortlandStater

http://www.pdx.edu/presidential_announcement.html

Any idea what this could be? Does a new basketball arena count as the biggest news in PSU history? ;) Probably not. Exciting...

Wow! And I'll be on the East Coast, just my luck! My imagination is going wild over the possibilities. Go Viks!

Thats wild. I haven't the slightest idea of what this could be. OHSU/PSU merger? That would be bigger news than a new arena. I don't think that will ever happen though. Anyone have any ideas?

My guess is some kind of big $$$ donation, but that is just a guess. Amazing that there seem to be no hints/leaks in the media. Calling something the biggest thing in school history is gutsy, so I'm guessing they can really back it up.

Maybe a huge donation or some government collaboration? forestgreen is right, "biggest news" leaves *a lot* of room for imagination.
The problem is, major things like a merger with OHSU couldn't ever be kept a secret and announced as a surprised, could they? There are committees, public discussions etc.

PSU doesn't get boring these days...

ManOfVision said:
Trust me, not an OHSU merger.

I agree with you now. What could it be? The 10th is going to be like xmas as a kid if we don't hear anything before hand. Im thinking big money donation. Or maybe somebody is giving PSU some land for campus?

I know this isn't it, but......

Heard an interesting one from someone in the AD tonight. I'll snap some excerpts from the conversation.

"We're looking at going to the WAC"

"The WAC is interested in UC Davis and Portland State"

"If not the WAC, PSU is moving to Division I"

"It won't be overnight, but PSU is moving up"

Okay, I may be off a little on the actual quotes, but you get the picture.

Isn't there a mandate on teams moving up for like 2-3 years? I seem to recall seeing that, but I can't find a link to post.

By the way, these comments were into a question regarding PSU's interests in PGE Park being renovated for MLS....

"There are moments in time that define an institution. As the new President of Portland State University, I am very pleased to say that we arrived at just such a moment."

I think its PSU to the WAC. If its not then its hard for me to say this has anything to do with athletics.

By a 2-3 year deal are you saying that we have to meet the requirements for the BCS division in those years to move up?

503vikingfan said:
By a 2-3 year deal are you saying that we have to meet the requirements for the BCS division in those years to move up?

I think there was a move up / move down mandate put in place by the NCAA for a certain period of time.

"define an institution" shouldn't be a move up in football. It should be much, much more.

It's got nothing to do with the WAC. And it has nothing to do with athletics. They said "PSU history" not "Vikings history." And athletics is definitely not the most important aspect of PSU.

PSU and Vikings should synonymous. The more I think about it moving to the WAC would be quite a moment in PSU's history. Think about the timing with the push for MLS and possible PGE renovations totaling 40 million. What if someone donated enough money (totally speculating here) for the that to happen irregardless of an MLS move?

Either way I am getting the feeling that what ever happened is going to change the face of the University.

Making the Jump to that level of Athletics would be the biggest news in PSU history. I want someone to tell me and everyone else what would be bigger. Making the jump to WAC would be huge. The WAC just signed an agreement with ESPN that will make the WAC as good as a lot of BCS conferences in terms of national media coverage.

If this is anything less I would say that our new president at PSU has lost some serious integrity.

PSU getting into the WAC would be unbelievable and the fact that this is around the same time that PGE and MLS are drawing plans for an awesome stadium should not be excluded in this conversation.

We got a very nice donation a few years ago to build our school of Engineering. That was big. So one has to think that this must be bigger than that if it is going to be the defining moment in our institutions history. Making the jump with a new 40 mil renovation to PGE it would not be hard to foresee us in the WAC.

Welcome to the real deal. PSU moves to the WAC just Like Idaho, Nevada and BOISE STATE.

Some one tell me that getting that opportunity wouldn't be the biggest thing in PSU history and tell me why.

And then tell me before the tenth why BSU should stay in the WAC when the MWC is calling. They already have better teams teams there: BYU and UTAH. BYU = National Champs and UTAH shared that title. WAC is where we belong and I think this is what is coming.

Also I think there might be another a team making the jump with us. We play UC Davis and if you have followed all of this jumping to the next level of competition stuff you would know they were in consideration too.

Moving to the WAC would be big for PSU and thats the bottom line. It would be bigger and better than an OHSU/PSU merger.

Big Sky championships have been played here. AKA this year for BBall (Mens) and guess what the Volleyball championships for women are coming here this year, and guess what our women play pretty good basketball too.

Building a new arena wouldn't be the biggest thing in PSU history because we have played at the Rose Garden many times and guess what we have very good plus .500 record there.

At first I thought this was all athletics then I went back to the fact that we have a very good research University. But I now think and believe this all athletics and we are moving to the WAC. Why not?

Montana fans will scream why not us? But the fact is if PSU moves to the WAC Montana goes to the MWC. They play in the freakin mountains anyways? Fuel cost have become a very big area of concern for college teams. A restructuring of the major athletic conferences on the west coast is something that will happen, eventually. Hawaii annually playing a team from Louisiana or a team from Oregon, and that team from Oregon will in the next year be a MAX ride away?

Anyone else have some serious thoughts about this? A Move up to the WAC would be serious news. Someone tell me why it wouldn't and I will shut up. But I think its a done deal and PSU fans will have a very good reason to cheer in a month when the Vikings come home to play EWU.

Ladies and Gents. MLS is coming to Portland. If it wasn't where are they going to go? To a another city where Nike and Adidas call home? No their home is here in Portland. PGE will be renovated and turned into a field sport stadium.

How do we match up in the WAC?

Terrible this year but JG is recruiting from all over the nation. Think about this why would JG risk his career and everything he has done to come to PSU? He always said that the support was there. And guess what? Hes in for the long haul. I didn't think he was, but I expect JG to be here for another 8 years. This year and least year are only the beggining. He gutted the team so he and his associates could have the ability to recruit the talent they need.

Pokey and true Mouse fans stand up here we go.

This will be a fun and extremely exciting ride no matter the outcome.

Our dream is about to come true. And Montana's also becaue I think they are headed to the MWC.

The history of the Big Sky should be enough to tell you were are on the move and moving up.

UC Davis and PSU tipping off in a week is not a coincidence.

Its going to happen but it may be sooner than we thought.

BSU is leaving the WAC for the MWC the dominoes will fall this is what news is if it isn't then post a better argument.

I think all this WAC talk is nonsense for now, and that's coming from the guy who started the "WAC Watch" thread. I started that thread precisely because I wanted people to see just what it would take to be competitive in that conference and PSU just doesn't have it yet. The potential PGE renovation would be a huge step in the right direction, but that is not a done deal. Even if it were, it wouldn't happen for several years (final build out around 2013).

What if one of our faculty won a big prize? It would have to be pretty big, like Nobel prize big, for it to be the biggest news in school history, but that would do it in my opinion. I still think a big donation is the most likely news, but I thought I'd throw out another option that I hadn't seen mentioned yet.

503vikingfan said:
Moving to the WAC would be big for PSU and thats the bottom line. It would be bigger and better than an OHSU/PSU merger.

I cannot agree with this. IMO, a merger with OHSU would be far bigger than PSU joining the WAC. For one, joining the WAC wouldn't make OHSU suddenly change its mind and want to merge, but I believe the reverse to be true. Were the two schools to merge and instantly become one of the top national research schools in the country, the WAC would practically fall over itself trying to invite the new school. Even if that weren't true, I think the improved academic reputation of the merged campus would do much more to improve the school's profile than improved competition on the athletic field.

martymoose said:
I know this isn't it, but......

Heard an interesting one from someone in the AD tonight. I'll snap some excerpts from the conversation.

"We're looking at going to the WAC"

"The WAC is interested in UC Davis and Portland State"

"If not the WAC, PSU is moving to Division I"

"It won't be overnight, but PSU is moving up"

Okay, I may be off a little on the actual quotes, but you get the picture.

Isn't there a mandate on teams moving up for like 2-3 years? I seem to recall seeing that, but I can't find a link to post.

By the way, these comments were into a question regarding PSU's interests in PGE Park being renovated for MLS....

Marty, what do you mean by someone in the AD? Is that the Athletic Director's office? Just trying to understand the context of what you overheard.

By the way, there is a 5 year moratorium on teams moving up, and I think we are 1 year into the timetable.

Latest posts

Back