• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Changes to the roster

Bengalfanatic2014

After spring ball is the time to evaluate the players based upon their performance. There has been some changes with players being cut. Receivers cole Robinson, Dominick toliver, Kai Campbel have been cut. Also qb James delacensarie has been cut as well. Very surprised about these cuts. I especially thought Campbel had a good spring. Reactions anyone?

I haven't heard anything about this. Is there a link or something that offers more detail?

PBP

Cuts are normal after spring ball every year. Notice all of our scholorship cuts were Sophomores, during evaluations the coaches must have felt these players were not where they wanted them to be in their development. Additionally, with the improvements on offense and our depth, you would have to show you were better than what is coming in next year. What you don't do is announce these cuts to the general public. I have no idea why Montana felt these cuts should go in the news. Everyone does this, how often do you hear about it being done.

Scholarships are one year deals. I would imagine the coaching staff is actively seeking lower division transfer options for these kids. ISU will still be on the hook for the potential APR points if they become ineligible or do not graduate. On the flipside they score points for academic success. I am pretty sure that is the case unless it changed recently.

Eric hollowell said:
Yea I know they are one year deal I've never seen a kid let go After a year or two based on performance on the field

It happens all across the country even with LSU football and basketball.

It sure does but when it has it been because of off the field issues. Coaches know kids don't always pan out. I don't know guys just does not seem right

Scholarships are on a ONE year basis. It's a contract that is for ONE year. You don't sign your scholarship and not show up for the next four or five years. It's about PERFORMANCE

I'm sure it's not presented when the coach visits a players home, but it is reality. Did you really believe all those Div. I transfers just decided to leave. While some made the choice on their own, many did not. That's why transfers wait until after spring ball to make the decision. The other thing is they don't advertise that their scholarship are not renewed. What usually happens is the team over recruits and has to make room for players coming in the fall. To do this you evaluate the players on the team to determine who is not improving enough to help the team get better. The players visit their position coach then if their is an issue they go to the head coach who lets them know the situation. In almost all cases the team offers to assist in finding the player another team where they can play. These decisions are not lightly made, I cannot believe that Kramer enjoys having to have these meetings with players he in many cases recruited. The reality; while we all want to believe college football is about getting an education, we all know it is not. Coaches get fired for losing records more often than the do for graduation rates. Idaho State football like all college teams is in the business of winning games. If you don't believe this go look at the basketball team page where they are calling for Evans head even though his basketball team has great academics.

When players sign their scholarship papers it is for ONE academic year. It is a CONTRACT that is based on PERFORMANCE. I'm sure this is hard on the coaches and players. What stops a player from signing a LOI, showing up to the university and not putting in the hard work required to improve the team?

Last thing. I'm extremely excited for Corey to play. I think he has a great future ahead of him, but you are NOT doing him any favors by using your name on this message board. Not if, but WHEN(and they already have) his teammates, and coaches know what you are saying this will make things harder on your son. Just my :twocents:

I'm a Idaho state Dad and fan this form is to talk about the program which I back 100%. I enjoy this because unlike high school where you see and everyday being so far away I don't have that opportunity.

It's only been fairly recently that the NCAA allowed schools to offer guaranteed multi-year scholarships. Even now, schools can pick and choose how many they choose to give (i.e. most schools still give one-year renewable scholarships).
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24711067/schools-can-give-out-4-year-scholarships-to-athletes-but-many-don't" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The problem I have with not renewing a scholarship has more to do with the NCAA than it does with any individual program. It's one of those necessary evils, but the NCAA makes the player still sit out a year if he transfers to a same-division school. That's not right. That's an NCAA problem which needs to be fixed.

A couple of regional examples have occurred in basketball within the last year or so. Boise State cut a player, a former Idaho Gatorade player of the year. They gave the reason he was seeking more playing time, but he came out and said he was cut.
http://www.idahopress.com/blogs/melba-grad-joey-nebeker-unhappy-with-departure-from-boise-state/article_2a59c0d4-cb63-11e3-bcee-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just within the last two weeks, BYU made a similar announcement that a couple of players are transferring to seek more playing time, but one of the players said he was shocked and was cut.
http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/byusports/2427072-155/byu-basketball-neilson-shocked-that-he" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I said, it's a necessary evil. But it needs to be fixed that a player can transfer without losing a year if his scholarship was cut.

Eric hollowell said:
I've never heard of college players being cut. We're they full ride guys

Story to delay, smartphone is having a fit. Two with experience, but one has other reasons. Nine receivers gone. Making room for recruiting class of 21, some evidently CAN catch. New coach reportedly not too popular right now. Kinda reminds me of Kramer beginning at EWU, MSU, and ISU.

Update: unofficial source states 14 were walk-ons.

Would somebody clarify all of this. It would seem that if we cut scholarship players, this would seriously hurt our APR/graduation rates.

spudbowl said:
Would somebody clarify all of this. It would seem that if we cut scholarship players, this would seriously hurt our APR/graduation rates.
As long as the students who leave do so in good academic standing, it should not impact ISU's APR.

Thanks Skippy for that information. Do graduation rates matter?

Skippy said:
spudbowl said:
As long as the students who leave do so in good academic standing, it should not impact ISU's APR.

Directly from the NCAA's web site, here is how APR is calculated. So it would appear ISU would lose one of two APR points for every scholarship athlete who leaves the program before graduating, but would not lose the other point if they leave in good academic standing:

How is the APR calculated? Each student athlete
receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for
staying in school and one point for being academically eligible. A team’s
total points are divided by points possible and multiplied by 1,000
to produce the team’s APR. A 930 APR predicts about a 50 percent
graduation rate. Teams falling below an APR of 930 face sanctions
ranging from practice-time reductions to more severe penalties

Latest posts

Back