• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

EWU @ MSU Game Day Thread

The 117th rushing defense against the 2nd rushing offense in the FCS? Its going to be bad, its going to be very, very bad.

The best we can hope for is a high scoring game.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:
The 117th rushing defense against the 2nd rushing offense in the FCS? Its going to be bad, its going to be very, very bad.

Yup.

I read in the Spokesman that the reason Taylor did not play against Cal Poly is because they are trying to preserve his redshirt season. He has one more game remaining that he can play in before he loses it. With Wortham out, we do not have a realistic #2 and I think they need to play him against MSU with the expectation that Wortham might be available against NAU.

Savages said:
I read in the Spokesman that the reason Taylor did not play against Cal Poly is because they are trying to preserve his redshirt season. He has one more game remaining that he can play in before he loses it. With Wortham out, we do not have a realistic #2 and I think they need to play him against MSU with the expectation that Wortham might be available against NAU.

Totally agree. I think you throw everything into this game and let the chips fall where they may. If we don't get a win this Saturday the NAU game is far less meaningful.

EWURanger said:
Savages said:

Totally agree. I think you throw everything into this game and let the chips fall where they may. If we don't get a win this Saturday the NAU is far less meaningful.

It's funny that you think this team can compete with MSU. What are you seeing that everyone else isn't?

DefendtheRed said:
EWURanger said:
Savages said:

Totally agree. I think you throw everything into this game and let the chips fall where they may. If we don't get a win this Saturday the NAU is far less meaningful.

It's funny that you think this team can compete with MSU. What are you seeing that everyone else isn't?

Ok smartass, I'll bite.

35-10 L @ NDSU
34-31 L @ Fresno State
40-29 W vs. SELA
27-24 W @ UC Davis
44-36 L vs. Idaho
42-41 L @ ISU
31-23 W vs. Weber St.
47-35 L @ Portland St.
48-13 W vs. Cal Poly

The only games we haven't been competitive in this year were the NDSU game and arguably the Portland St. game. If two plays had gone differently we'd be 6-3 right now instead of 4-5. The ISU loss is purely on the coaches for poor clock management and bonehead decisions/playing not to lose.

I'm not buying into the narrative that we somehow lack the talent to compete with the upper tier of the Big Sky because it simply isn't true. Yeah, our rushing defense is horrible once again and that will not play out well against MSU, no doubt. But to suggest that we won't be competitive is something I do not agree with. I'm not saying we'll win but I definitely think we'll compete. That's the meain difference between this year's team and last year's. We were not competitive last year.

DefendtheRed said:
EWURanger said:
Savages said:

I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about the program. Are you sure you're an Eastern fan?

E-Wu Tang Clan said:

I agree, it's can't be the sort of game we played against NDSU which is a similar style of offense. We need the O to be efficient and consistent especially in the red zone. We've left waaaaaaay too many points on the field this year.

EWURanger said:
DefendtheRed said:
EWURanger said:
Savages said:

Ok smartass, I'll bite.

35-10 L @ NDSU
34-31 L @ Fresno State
40-29 W vs. SELA
27-24 W @ UC Davis
44-36 L vs. Idaho
42-41 L @ ISU
31-23 W vs. Weber St.
47-35 L @ Portland St.
48-13 W vs. Cal Poly

The only games we haven't been competitive in this year were the NDSU game and arguably the Portland St. game. If two plays had gone differently we'd be 6-3 right now instead of 4-5. The ISU loss is purely on the coaches for poor clock management and bonehead decisions/playing not to lose.

I'm not buying into the narrative that we somehow lack the talent to compete with the upper tier of the Big Sky because it simply isn't true. Yeah, our rushing defense is horrible once again and that will not play out well against MSU, no doubt. But to suggest that we won't be competitive is something I do not agree with. I'm not saying we'll win but I definitely think we'll compete. That's the meain difference between this year's team and last year's. We were not competitive last year.

We'll need a lot of help on the injury front to be competitive. We're terriblly thin in the secondary and big questions at QB.

Atomic Eagle said:
EWURanger said:
DefendtheRed said:
EWURanger said:
Savages said:

Ok smartass, I'll bite.

35-10 L @ NDSU
34-31 L @ Fresno State
40-29 W vs. SELA
27-24 W @ UC Davis
44-36 L vs. Idaho
42-41 L @ ISU
31-23 W vs. Weber St.
47-35 L @ Portland St.
48-13 W vs. Cal Poly

We'll need a lot of help on the injury front to be competitive. We're terriblly thin in the secondary and big questions at QB.

We've played the same number of games as MSU; they're in the same situation. Injuries happen, but yes, it would sure be nice for more guys to come back healthy. Especially in the secondary.

What's the deal with QB? I know Wortham got banged up, but there's no issue with Visperas or Taylor, correct? Even if the coaches want his redshirt preserved, he could still play in this one. I'd love to see him early and often. We run the ball sooooooo much better with him.

LDopaPDX said:
Atomic Eagle said:
EWURanger said:
DefendtheRed said:
EWURanger said:
Savages said:

Ok smartass, I'll bite.

35-10 L @ NDSU
34-31 L @ Fresno State
40-29 W vs. SELA
27-24 W @ UC Davis
44-36 L vs. Idaho
42-41 L @ ISU
31-23 W vs. Weber St.
47-35 L @ Portland St.
48-13 W vs. Cal Poly

We've played the same number of games as MSU; they're in the same situation. Injuries happen, but yes, it would sure be nice for more guys to come back healthy. Especially in the secondary.

What's the deal with QB? I know Wortham got banged up, but there's no issue with Visperas or Taylor, correct? Even if the coaches want his redshirt preserved, he could still play in this one. I'd love to see him early and often. We run the ball sooooooo much better with him.

Fair point and I am not saying we have more or less than anyone else. My point is that I don’t think it’ll a very competitive game if we’re still missing key players. I guess it’s another way of saying that we don’t have much depth especially on D.

EWURanger said:
DefendtheRed said:
EWURanger said:
Savages said:

Ok smartass, I'll bite.

35-10 L @ NDSU
34-31 L @ Fresno State
40-29 W vs. SELA
27-24 W @ UC Davis
44-36 L vs. Idaho
42-41 L @ ISU
31-23 W vs. Weber St.
47-35 L @ Portland St.
48-13 W vs. Cal Poly

Thanks for proving my point. We've lost every single game we've played against teams who run the ball well, and the only reason we didn't lose to Davis is because their stud RB who was absolutely killing us got knocked out of the game. So tell me how you think we're competitive against an MSU that is top 2 in the country running the ball when we have one of the worst rush defenses in all of FCS? This game will be over before halftime and pointing out the obvious doesn't make me a bad fan, it jut makes me a realist. I sincerely hope that at some point EWU will reverse the years long trend of having absolutely atrocious defenses but I don't see that changing with this coaching staff, which is why we are destined for more of the same if Best and Co. remain.

I would like to be more confident in my team whooping the Eagles ass, but here's reality, I'd put the Eags chances way better than most are thinking and here's why:

MSU's Defense is beat the fuck up we are down linebackers, safeties and D lineman which Idaho took for advantage of and ran ball control offense we could not stop 3-4 yard runs because we never played the run or spied McCoy. We sat in mostly a cover 2 and 3 Zone defenses, The Eags should take full advantage of any 4th short and run the ball because no one will be covering the HB and it will be up to the front 4 to stop the run. If the Eags can control the clock MSU will be in trouble.

On Defense, the Eags should sell out on the run unless MSU is way backed up. Bring the safeties up and apply pressure constantly, for whatever reason our OC will start off "cute" when we don't need to be, and he hasn't figured out that our lineman are all now 30 pounds heavier than last year and not near as mobile, this group is now better at an old school power run game than mobile rpos they just aren't getting to those blocks this year... But our OC will call RPO after RPO getting 2-3 yards a play and lots of dropped passes because most of the time if we call an RPO our receivers will block instead of running routes.

There's always a chance to take down MSU because we don't play to our strengths and we don't change what we do, we will continually run head first into a brick wall waiting for it to break when we should have just run around it. You beat Montana State by out coaching them, which if you have good coaches its not hard to do.

E-Wu Tang Clan said:

Just wondering why you think a shootout favors Eastern? I guess it's possible but I doubt we throw the ball much in an attempt to try to keep our defense off the field as much as possible.

SeattleBobcat said:
I would like to be more confident in my team whooping the Eagles ass, but here's reality, I'd put the Eags chances way better than most are thinking and here's why:

MSU's Defense is beat the fuck up we are down linebackers, safeties and D lineman which Idaho took for advantage of and ran ball control offense we could not stop 3-4 yard runs because we never played the run or spied McCoy. We sat in mostly a cover 2 and 3 Zone defenses, The Eags should take full advantage of any 4th short and run the ball because no one will be covering the HB and it will be up to the front 4 to stop the run. If the Eags can control the clock MSU will be in trouble.

We seem to have the same issues especially in the secondary. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see MSU throw the ball a lot more than usual.

Latest posts

Back