• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

FRUSTRATION

Tonight's game left a lot of folks associated with the Bengals speechless. Several things I want to say before I conclude:

1. My son plays for the Bengals
2. I will continue to support this team and attend as many games as I can
3. This team isn't improving
4. We may have a good head coach, but I am not sure about the supporting cast -- makes one wonder if the hiring of "high school" coaches as assistant coaches or position coaches was a wise decision. These position coaches (and possibly even the head coach) appear to be clueless and incapable to prepare for opponents or make halftime adjustments.
5. Serious adjustments need to be made during the second half of this season, getting beat 77-10 by a BAD football team (Portland State) can't be tolerated in the future. Losing is one thing, being utterly embarassed is another thing.

In conclusion -- what happened tonight, when similar results have occurred to other programs at a college or pro level -- coaches are normally fired....whether all the way to the head coach level, or cleaning house at the assistant coach level. Bottom line, not sure we should wait till the end of the season to correct the problem.

Yes, this is a rant, but I don't think I am off-base in my analysis. Please chime in if you have other thoughts. I feel sorry for the Bengal Nation -- we deserve better.

I can't think of any teams who have been hit any harder than ISU has. The mess with the former coach, the APR problems are still haunting the program. As to the coaches I really feel they are doing the best they can do with the current talent. Kramers press conference after the game explained a lot.

We're all frustrated. My heart goes out to the players who have stuck around and given it their all.

I listened to the post-game as well. You can tell Coach Kramer is disheartened. He doesn't make excuses, and he doesn't get defensive (pun intended ;) ). BengalCub warned years ago that the APR problems could be the death knell of the football program. That's how bad they were. You don't win championships with walk-on players who didn't even get a sniff from area NAIA schools. God bless em' for working hard and doing everything they can to represent us well. But it is what it is.

Kramer isn't going anywhere, and I wouldn't want him to. I don't know enough about the staff, but I doubt firing anybody right now would do any good, would it? What qualified coach do you bring in during the season itself? Fire someone, and you suddently burden the coaches, who are stretched thin already, with even more responsibility.

I'm sure we'll see some changes at season's end. That might mean staffing changes. Personnel changes. Recruiting changes. Hopefully even scheduling changes. I agree, we deserve better.

There is no reason to become frustrated as It is what it is... I love the quote by one of our valued members, "We are in the rebuilding process, it will take time, it will be awhile"... classic

The problems with this program are much deeper than the coaching staff and I don't see it getting better any time soon.

Just when I think up for the challenge can't make herself look any more foolish and uneducated she surprises me yet again.

If the Bengals win more games than other teams in the Big Sky than they will be Big Sky Champs. :roll: :roll:

Whoever wins the most electoral college votes will be President :nod:

When I drive my automobile it uses gasoline. After driving I have to purchase gasoline after driving :ugeek:
:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: :shake:

This team is improving--but it will not show up on the field for a few more seasons.

The APR issues killed the program. Kramer has remedied that and is doing the best he can to recruit (with the most stringent academic requirements in the BSC) young talent and to build the program the right way.

This season will probably continue to be frustrating on the field, but what can we expect? ISU lost at least 10 players do to APR and they were forced to scholarship walk-ons with good GPA's to fix the problem.

Fire the coaches? NOT! They have as much to do with the solid recruiting and they were a huge part of fixing the APR as well.

Give Kramer 4-5 years to build a solid program with a solid foundation. I applaud the fact that he is RS as many young kids as he can. And I certainly do not want to see ISU go the quick fix JC route nor do they have the ability to recruit a ton of JC kids because of the academic risk.

Coach K has my full support, I said it the day that he was hired. Most of us also stated that we realized that it would take time for ISU to get competitive again. Surely, most must see that the young talent is improving. A team cannot win without a solid offense and defensive line and these units take the most time to grow up and get stronger. The offensive line will be beast in the years to come. Kramer will get help on the defensive side of the football this off season and we will start to see the defense improve drastically because of the recruiting efforts.

Kramer wins and builds solid programs, period. Keep the faith and we will all be happy for our patience.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: THANK YOU CUB, NOBODY could have said it better. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think the frustration here is justified. I get it that we are not going to have a championship team overnight. As it was said previously it is one thing to loose and another to be embarrassed the way we were last night.
I did not see the game but the fact that we did not score in the second half makes think me think we simply gave up. This concerns me from a foundation perspective -- we should not be establishing a culture of quitting in the face of adversity.

So I guess from some of the posts here we should all hold off on buying tickets to any games for the next 4 or 5 years since it will take that long for us to finally be able to expect a win. This is silly. I lived in Oklahoma when stoops took over at OU and he was immediately competitive. Yes we have a deep hole to dig out of with APR. This should not be taken as an excuse to allow an embarrassing performance like last night. The coach before Stoops always had a reason why he could only win 2-3 games a year not a enough money we are rebuilding or whatever. He even had fans and boosters parroting the same message.
If Kramer is the coach I think he is then he will figure out what it takes to win and get us there without taking a half a decade to get there.

Go Bengals.

Give me ONE FCS team that has had the APR issues,WALK ON players with full ride scholarships to solve the APR BLACK HOLE, the absolute JOKE that was the last coaching staff, that has turned it around in 15 games? I am frustrated about last night, but I am INTELLIGENT enough to see IMPROVEMENT.

Here is another classic quote: "I am frustrated about last night, but I am INTELLIGENT enough to see IMPROVEMENT".

I have to agree with Bengal and others that do not support the " We are in the rebuilding process, it will take awhile, or it will take time" theory.

We should have went after jc players and step down players that had good grades this past season to fill in the areas that were needed on defense and offense. Yost, Arias, and Henley were jc players and Boyles was a step down player and all of these players are outstanding students and probably the better players on our team. If you want to win than you go after jc players and step down players when a program continues to have losing seasons. If you want to wait 4 to 5 years down the road to "maybe" start winning games than you recruit only freshmen just like this past recruiting class. At least go 50 / 50 with jc players, step down players, and incoming freshmen ....

I guess we will continue to be frustrated for the next 4 to 5 years. There are no guarantees that the Bengals are going to have winning seasons in 4 to 5 years. The good players coming out of high school will go to other BSC teams that are winning which means we will get second and third player choices. I feel sorry for the juniors and seniors that have given their sweat to this program as they deserve better.

As for going after JC players this season...

Idaho State instituted a more stringent academic plan during this past recruiting cycle. The JC players that you pointed out have been excellent additions to the program and I applaud there efforts.

ISU simply cannot take academic risk at this point. They could still slip back into the APR wasteland.

Building a program JC heavy is risky and while it may make a team more competitive short term, building a program with a majority of FR will give the program long term stability.

That is BS. There are no risk recruiting jc players and step down players with good grades. If you were a high school senior being recruited would you go to a winning program or a losing program in the BSC? We may get the third and fourth player choices on the ISU recruiting board coming out of high school. We need to get off the excuse wagons. We may have some good coaches but the recruiting this pass season did not help our program this season or next season. It is all about recruiting if a program wants to win games immediately. We continue to lose and lose badly this season because of bad recruiting this past season, no doubt about it...

The changes happened mid recruiting cycle in an attempt to sway the NCAA into reducing penalties. Some of the players that ISU was recruiting were no longer eligible to be recruited by Idaho State. Part of the reason that ISU got a reduction from the NCAA had to do with improvement and what improvements they still planned to make. Almost like a gesture of good will on both parts.

So don't sit here and say that I am giving excuses. I am simply trying to help you understand why ISU is not willing to go JC heavy.

Bottom line is when a program continues to lose you fill the weak spots with good jc players and step down players as the alumni, student body, and fans are tired of losing and losing big. There is no patience waiting 4 to 5 years down the road to maybe win games. I think somebody is wanting a long term paychek by trying to convince people that recruiting only freshmen is the way to go as he can always use the APR and we are young and inexperience excuses when we continue to lose and lose big.

Bottom line you continue to give some scholarships to walk-ons to bolster APR. Because if ISU coughs wrong they are back into APR hell.

Plus, all incoming JC's have to hold an Associates degree in order to transfer to ISU. This is something that no other team in the BSC to my knowledge has as a requirement.

I doubt that folks will have patience with losing big. But if they understood what was going on they may have more patience. This program was on life support and Kramer is building it back up. He doesn't have forever, but the hell that he inherited will take time to fix.

ISU is rebuilding, pure and simple. Building from burnt ashes of Zamberlin and his lack of knowledge of how to run a D1 program.

I hope that long term stability plan works out for you. If I was a new freshman on the team there is no way I would hang around to get my butt kicked by 67 pts. every year with some pie in the sky hope that maybe when I am a senior we will have a 'decent' team. I would be looking for the door right now.
There has to be a balance, at the very least we should recruit some JCs to fill some key positions at the end of this season. Obviously they would have to have good grades (and be academically committed) in order to be considered, I get that and totally support it. If we don't there is no reason we will ever get to a point where we are not giving full ride scholarships to walk ons -- nobody else will want to play here. We will continue to be prostrate face down on the basement of the big sky.
I had a bad feeling watching the Sacramento state game that we are going to loose every conference game this year – last night only furthered my fears -- I hope that I am wrong. UC Davis hung 40+ pts on Montana State yesterday – we better make some adjustments or we are going to have a long day . I will be there cheering for my Bengals.

Go Bengals!!!

Cub, I could be wrong about this, but I thought that any athlete needs an associate's degree in hand to transfer to any four year degree, whereas if they went to a community college then that's not the case -- they would just need so many credits. Maybe Frank would know about this. Also Frank, I really like New Mexico's hire Bob Davie and the fact that he's using the triple option to try to move the ball and score points. He's turning things around down there faster than I anticipated!

Latest posts

Back