• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Idaho State Big Sky TV prouction HORRIBLE.

There may already be some work study funds used to pay some of the students now involved. Also, I can share from my experience as GM of KISU-FM that work study funding at ISU has been greatly reduced over recent years...it's not just money you can summon on demand. On the other hand, there's a new campus program called "Career Path Interns" (CPI) that might possibly hold some options for the future. Again, the work now being done is managed and carried out entirely by folks in the "new" Department of Communication, Media and Persuasion. This is the only group that has agreed to attempt to provide video coverage of ISU games for Watch Big Sky. I suspect that Athletics, if it hasn't already had conversations with them, will again. I also can see (because of potential campus politics), that if Athletics complains too loudly that Lower Campus may just throw its hands in the air and say, "Fine, do it yourself!", At which point, some fan's wishes of "get better or nothing at all" may come true.

The truth is that time IS running out on ISU to acquire a quality video production product for Athletics, because I doubt the conference will tolerate poor quality once video replay becomes a normal part of officiating.

Sin City Spudhead said:
I sent him this thread because for every one of us complaining about the production, there's probably at least 10 more who shake their heads in disgust and begin to lose interest.

I guess I'm still a little confused. IF the Big Sky requires all schools to produce video, and IF ISU has nobody who will do it, then what? If the Mass Comm guys decide to drop this, then what? Is there a backup plan?

Sin:

That's a good question.

PBP

bengalcub said:
What about a work study program? What about RS kids or players with season ending injuries? What about checking with kids at the high schools for kids that want to do internships?

What we are being told is that every other school in the BSC can do it but ISU cannot.

It's fixable and it will be fixed when it is forced to be fixed.

Cub:

If you use football players or even high school kids you are going right back into the same issues though aren't you? (i.e. untrained people who maybe have no real desire to get into the business)

PBP

I am not sure what the quality would be. Who shoots video for the football team? No doubt they review film daily. I bet that individual knows how to run a camera. They edit video, too. Cut ups and things like that are done daily.

I simply don't believe that ISU cannot get it done and that other schools can. I have already seen massive improvements from the other schools in the conference.

Cub:

It's nowhere the number of people needed to shoot a football game (i.e. who shoots practice...) and the folks that shoot it simply position a camera for a wide angle shot of the field and leave it there. They don't shoot close-up's, try to get in tight on the football moving through the air, things like that.

I agree with you...there has to be a solution somewhere, somehow because as Jerry pointed out ISU soon may not have a choice.

That's the rub however as Shakespeare once wrote...nobody has apparently been able to find it.

PBP

I completely agree with the criticism and would like to bring up an additional point in regards to this issue. When a player and his or her parents are looking for a school to attend, usually the first thing they do is to log onto their computers to view athletic events at potential schools. It must be a huge disappointment to see how poor the production values are for Idaho State. I think todays media-conscious players and parents this would be a big concern and would be a major strike against choosing ISU as a school to attend.

My daughter graduated a couple of years ago and back when she was being recruited most of the schools were just getting started with live sporting event web-casting and Big Sky TV. Most schools did a poor job, so we really didn't notice a difference. But over the last 5 or 6 years it seems like most of them have really improved -- with ISU standing out as the exception. I remember thinking the quality and technical issues would improve over the years she played, but even watching now, I would say it's almost taken a step backwards at ISU. Honestly, it makes the school look more like a D3 program. The announcers all do a good job, but the broadcast team around them seem totally lost.

In a day when you can create a commercial film with a couple of Canon DSLRs and a high-end Apple computer I can't believe ISU can't find an available solution that will look professional at a reasonable cost. Then someone needs to be hired that knows what they're doing. There are a lot of young, tech-savy graduates that are starting out in the broadcast industry that would love the challenge and could direct and train students that could work as a broadcast team under their direction.

I was thrilled to see Jeff Tingey respond to this thread in person -- it shows he is in touch with every detail of the program. Jeff has made a number of great improvements at ISU over the last 5 or 6 years and I thing this issue needs to be next on his list!

Moose:

I think you make a great point from a potential recruiting standpoint, no question it has an impact.

Just wondering what sport your daughter played at ISU?

Something else that might be worth considering. About 10 years ago Dave Reichaldt who then was the main play by play guy suggested to Paul Bubb then the A.D. that ISU hire someone who would be in charge of any and all broadcast operations...from selling ads to organizing the game broadcasts to putting out fires when they cropped up. This person would then hire the director / producer and so forth. That way folks like Jeff, KaLee and Steve wouldn't have to take time away from the other areas they are in charge of to have to deal with it.

PBP

PBP said:
Moose:

I think you make a great point from a potential recruiting standpoint, no question it has an impact.

Just wondering what sport your daughter played at ISU?

PBP

You called her name many times over the years in Reed gym and we loved the Bengal experience -- except for the ISU/Big Sky TV frustrations. I was excited to see the football game last week to see the improvements and the team looked great. But like others mentioned, it was frustrating to watch (and hear) sometimes.

I just finished a long reply to this thread and I was logged out SHIT!

Any way... I could hang out a lot of dirty laundry like the first reply I had written but na... :rofl:

The bottom line is that Jeff needs to talk to jim D and come up with a plan for next season. John Young must sit down and learn the equipment. Or its not going to work. Nothing more nothing less.

It took me a good 2 years to learn the ropes and how to run this mess. :thumb: so there is hope if Jim D wants to invest the time and money into it. If not get completely out of the production business and stick to producing youtube video's of moose.

I did like the comment that athletics should take over the production. Really :lol: you think they can come up with the 40 to 50 grand to buy the equipment and the money to pay the students. NOT !

There is one important item that has never been brought up, the video board is also run by the production crew, and if there is a choice between the webcast or the video board the video board has priority. Up to now nobody in the holt thought the webcast was important...... So whats changed the football team is actually winning a few games.

Sorry but I am enjoying retirement and watching the destruction of something I built and worked on for 8 years.... :rofl:

Thanks for your note. We need to hear feedback to get better. I have never watched our broadcasts; I've always been at home games.
. :dunce: He's been sending checks to mass comm and didn't have an idea what he has been paying for.... :thumb:

If Jeff reads this or anybody in the front office call me I would be happy to talk to you about getting a contact and do ISU sports....

Good night from Houston Tx, and enjoy the game tomorrow because it will be in Colo..... :clap:

Just so no one thinks Jeff is sitting on his hands, he's already had conversations with Jim D...we'll see if anything comes out of it. And yes, Jeff has gone 0nline and watched some of last week's broadcast. He knows what you're talking about.

Now...let's give this a breather and focus on taking care of business tomorrow here in Colorado.

GO BENGALS!

Video production for Cal Poly football game was a huge improvement. Very grateful. Thank you ISU athletic Dept!!!

I just watched the Cal Poly game. Much better job. Things to work on.

1. The graphic needs to be at the top if you expand the screen the graphic is behind the navigation bar.
2. The sound fuzzes out. This can be caused by a couple things normally the gain is turned up to high or the mics are not of a high enough quality.
3. The video quality is not High Deff. I know that HD cameras a expensive but when you expand the picture it becomes fuzzy do to the lack of HD.

Not trying to pic just things we need to work on.

Latest posts

Back