• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

...ISU 2014 Spring football news, rumors,etc

I have always liked the idea that scholarship players should be given a redshirt their freshmen year. Most players need an extra year so they can meet the academic requirements for graduation otherwise they maybe forced to go to summer school which means extra rent money and food money that the player is responsible for in Pocatello. The players need the summer off to be with their families at home, maybe pick up a summer job for extra money, and to work on their conditioning and weight lifting before fall camp starts up. When a freshmen enters the program you never know what players will have their redshirt burned. I guess it depends on the head coach whether or not he wants a player to redshirt based on the team needs.

In Hansen case, Kramer burned his redshirt as a true freshmen as he needed him to play right away. I have to think that Hansen feels he is a FBS type of player so has decided to leave the program and will be able to use his redshirt year. He may drop down to a JUCO program so he does not lose eligibility and than try to secure a full scholarship by a FBS school or another FCS school. At that point, he could redshirt and have two more years of eligibility to play.

Hansen will have a full three years to play if he transfers because he has not used his redshirt year yet. So he'd transfer, sit a year, then have three to play three.

Skippy - I maybe wrong but I understand the rule as follows: If a player played his freshmen year and transfers right away to a FBS school or to another FCS school he will lose one year of eligibility which means he will have a redshirt year and two more years to play. If a player transfers or step down to a JUCO or a D-II school he loses no eligibility and will have a redshirt year and three more years to play. If you transfer or step up you automatically lose one year of eligibility. If you transfer or step down you do not lose any eligibility.

I have to think Hansen will go the JUCO route and try to secure another full scholarship with a FBS school or another FCS school. Why would be transfer to a FBS school in the fall as a walk-on and hope he gets a full scholarship after a year or two? May not happen. His best option is to play for a JUCO and hope he has a great year and secures another full scholarship. Something is wrong here. He made a honorable mention in the Big Sky Conference his freshmen year so why would he leave as he had a chance to become to become an All American at ISU at the FCS level.

The general rule is that once a student enrolls full-time, he has 5 years to play 4 seasons. Hence, the redshirt year + 4 seasons.

Skippy as usual is right on. Hansen is required to sit a year if he transfers to an FCS or FBS school. He can use that as a redshirt year and still have 3 additional seasons to play.

Had Hansen redshirted here and then transferred to another FCS or FBS school, he'd be required to sit out a year and would have 3 seasons left to play.

Yes. When a player transfers up or across leagues, they have to sit out a year, but not if they transfer down. (like FBS to FCS or FCS to D-2 or FCS to JUCO). Looks like Hansen will have to burn his redshirt year if he transfers up or across the leagues. I am shocked that Hansen has left the program as he was on full scholarship and had a chance to become an All American especially after being selected as a honorable mention as a true freshmen in the Big Sky in 2013.

....I don't get why the WR hanson would leave....it's not like the NFL can't find you at ISU...."hello"?....latest example being josh hill....offense heavy on passing.....it seems perfect for a WR who would like to be seen.....I don't get it ....anyone have an idea ....why? :cry:

Sometimes friends and family can convince you to beleive that you can play for a bigger more prestigious. School. I wish him well but the timing is horrible and it hurts the team doing it after the major recruiting period.

I guess there are no commitments with coaches and players. Players leave a program for whatever reasons they have and head coaches dismiss players from their program for whatever reasons they have. We see it every season.

up for the challenge said:
I guess there are no commitments with coaches and players. Players leave a program for whatever reasons they have and head coaches dismiss players from their program for whatever reasons they have. We see it every season.

Yep, that's the rule.... few Babe Caccia's in today's game. Couldn't care less about Hansen, we need kids that buy in, a big problem with the Z era; hopefully Kramer is looking out for the guys that really want to be at ISU.

Jakori Ford from American River JC has committed to the Bengals. More info to follow. Looks like he is coming off a total knee reconstruction. He may have three to play. Still searching.

bengalcub said:
Jakori Ford from American River JC has committed to the Bengals. More info to follow. Looks like he is coming off a total knee reconstruction. He may have three to play. Still searching.

The head coach of American River (Jon Osterhout, former Sac State player and ass't coach) tweeted a pic yesterday of Jakori Ford "making it official..."

https://twitter.com/Coach_Ohout/status/451748019247927296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BkTubWRCYAAlR55.jpg

It will be interesting to see if Kramer red-shirts JUCO transfer RB Jakori Ford in 2014.
As you know we have three experienced RB's in Aaron Prier as a senior, RB Xavier Finney as a junior, and RB Daniel McSurdy as a senior. I would not be surprised to see Kramer redshirt Jakori Ford in 2014.

I am surprised that Kramer did not sign a JUCO or a drop down WR in 2014. The most experienced WR we have on the team is redshirt sophomore Broc Malcom. I guess Kramer feels the young inexperienced WR's are ready to step up and play like seasoned WR's in the Big Sky.

I am also surprised that Kramer did not sign a JUCO or a drop down QB in 2014. If QB Justin Arias is unavailable to play for whatever reasons than our offense will struggle with the passing game. We only have two back-up QB's with little experience or no college playing experience in senior CJ Reyes and redshirt freshmen James Delacenserle. I guess there is the possibility that Kramer may obtain a drop down QB for the 2014 season but that option is decreasing as most JUCO and drop down QB's have already signed with another team.

The other positions appear to be solid going into the 2014 season.

UPTC--remember lots of kids make their decision to transfer after spring ball. Some kids find out that they are lower on the depth chart than they thought and look for change. From the JC end, late spring and summer are good times to get kids that get the AA degree 2nd semester or over the summer...something I believe ISU requires of all JC transfers unless they were full qualifiers out of HS.

Some kids will leave ISU after spring ball and I believe that some will come aboard late as well. With that said, I don't think Kramer will bring someone on just to bring someone on. I would also bet that some of the walk-on DB's will be prime candidates for at least partial scholarships.

bengalcub - In my opinion the only areas of concern this upcoming season are WR's because of youth and inexperience and QB because our 2nd and 3rd QB's have little or no college playing experience at QB. You are right about players leaving the program after spring ball as that happens every year. You are also right about possible transfers coming into the program before the fall. We will see what happens before the 2014 season.

Latest posts

Back