• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

It Won't be Deane

Skippy

ISU just issued a news release announcing that Deane Martin will not be retained as head coach. A news conference has been scheduled for Thursday to announce the new coach.

Seems they have the candidate picked. Given that some of the potential candidates are still involved in coaching other programs still playing, I wonder if it might be someone else under the radar?

PBP

The Big Sky Conference Tournament wraps up Wednesday night. Maybe the announcement Thursday is to allow Bill Evans to get to Pocatello. Pure speculation on my part.

I wish Coach Martin the best of luck. I am slightly bummed and slightly excited all in the same breath.

Coach Martin and his staff did a great job this season. I am with you Bill in the disappontment. With the players again having to start over with a new coach for the third time in 4 months, for a student body and fan base that has to start over after putting support behind this team.

I too appreciate what Coach Martin brought to the table this year and wish him the best. Hiring him would have been the safe decision. The fact that we are getting someone else tells me that (a) the committee found someone that they believe is going to be more successful, and (b) Tingey has the courage to hire who he thinks is the best man for the job, even though it is bound to come with a bunch of criticism from arm-chair quarterbacks who did none of the interviews.

I'm excited.

+1 on Irwin M. Fletcher's post.. A huge % of the posters on The Bengal Den have no clue what went on in the whole process.

What process? Louis Wilson was a forgone conclusion and the committee was smoke and mirrors.

Cub scratches his head, more details on Evan's to come. I have had some great exchanges with Southern Utah and Montana supporters in PM's...

tuffgong said:
+1 on Irwin M. Fletcher's post.. A huge % of the posters on The Bengal Den have no clue what went on in the whole process.

I would feel comfortable in my clue on the process. However I would agree with your post Tuff. Minus the whole +1 thing.

I guessed it would be Wilson. I've also guessed the winning numbers for powerball, but so far it hasn't worked out for me. Not sure I understand the flippant response to those on here about that??? People all have a horse in the race. I don't understand why there should be belittling because their man didn't get it. Have you looked at some of the social networking sites for ISU players? Some aren't happy at all about the decision. Instead of rubbing salt in their wounds, how about letting them vent and realize they have poured blood, sweat, and tears into this program and for this coach?

I disagree that Martin would have been the safe decision. I think that's the decision which puts your neck out there. He was tied to O'Brien, the worst coach in 50 years at ISU, and he didn't have prior head coaching experience at the 4 year college level of which I'm aware. Other than what we were told about his recruiting efforts at UNLV, nobody here saw it first hand. If the program stunk it up for the next two years, people would say, "Well what do you expect? This is just a continuation of the O'Brien years!" I think Evans is the most "safe" hire of the bunch. He has experience being a head coach, an NCAA appearance, and experience working in the Big Sky. But you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. We all want him to succeed.

Sasquatch, my apologies my comment was not intended for you at all.

It was intended for those that trashed the search committee and called it a sham. To those that insisted that Wilson was being hired because two LDS folks were on the committee that were in Wilson's corner. To the posters that insulted the committee folks on a personal basis.

No doubt the kids are upset. I don't know anyone that wasn't pulling for Martin at least a little bit. But, I also believe that decisions were made, very tough decisions with the sole intent of the long-term success of the hoops program in mind. I can't imagine any decision that wouldn't have upset anyone.

sasquatch said:
He was tied to O'Brien, the worst coach in 50 years at ISU, and he didn't have prior head coaching experience at the 4 year college level of which I'm aware.

Um, being put on staff this season makes him tied to someone?

I think Martin would have been a good hire. I am pretty sure that Evans is, if he is in fact the guy. Remember, your job does not depend on this decision. Tingey's does, at least in part. However, he will be just another basketball coach at ISU if the money and administrative support is not there. Skippy has described the factors that make this a bad job for any coach if there is no money for recruiting, facility improvement, recruiting, perks that athletes want, recruiting and, oh yes, recruiting. I also hope any new coach does not forget the recruit rich states of California, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Nebraska and, well, you get the picture. With the academic requirements our new coach must meet, relying on Idaho and Utah will not produce a winner.

Had a Southern Utah Fan bring this to my attention...

A few bullets:

Evans was 9-3 in his career against Idaho State as head coach at SUU.
He could not recruit/sign no more than 2 non-Utah kids each class and then he had to keep them in Cedar City all summer so that they could get in-state tuition the next year.
He went 25-5 one year at Southern Utah with 2 Idaho kids in his starting lineup (Justin Sant from Bancroft and Dan Beus from Idaho Falls).
He was a four time conference Coach of the Year.
He had two regular season conference championships and three conference tournament championships.
His team led the nation is three point FG percentage twice.

Evans is use to producing results with limited coaching, recruiting and educational budgets. He has succeeded in a very tough environment, Cedar City, UT.
His squads beat Butler (twice), Gonzaga, Utah (twice), Washington State, Colorado, New Mexico, and Dayton. He had a winning record against schools in the Big Sky Conference.
Plus, the T-Birds beat 11 teams that were currently ranked or mentioned in the current Mid-Major poll, including Denver, Valparaiso, Oral Roberts, Milwaukee, Oakland, Weber State numerous times and Butler (twice), Long Beach State (twice), Gonzaga, Cleveland State, and Northern Iowa.

He was ran out of Southern Utah after posting a 16-14 record to make room for Roger Reid from BYU. How did that work out for SUU? Remember folks were calling for Wayne Tinkle’s head before Evan’s was hired. His defensive approach is widely considered by everyone in the Big Sky Conference to be a major factor in the success of the Montana program. By no means is he the only factor, but he is a major part of Montana’s success.

He knows how to recruit shooters. He knows how to win with limited resources. He knows how to coach defense. He plays and beats high mid-major programs. This could be interesting.

BozemanDC said:
sasquatch said:
He was tied to O'Brien, the worst coach in 50 years at ISU, and he didn't have prior head coaching experience at the 4 year college level of which I'm aware.

Um, being put on staff this season makes him tied to someone?

In the minds of many, yes. Maybe a better choice of words would have been "associated." He knew O'Brien from years back, and he was hired by O'Brien to be an assistant on his staff.

I think people wanted a clean sweep of the program, fair or not.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un9hzmduAJQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

What else could Martin have done? Did he need to accomplish the impossible & win a title?

I have a feeling yellowfin had a PERSONAL problem with Tingey while Jeff was at Weber. His personal vendeatta against tingey is actually quite hilarious.

Latest posts

Back