• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Lets start Tradition this year...

not too much.....lately... :) okay folks.....break's over........back to the original thread....we're looking for ideas that could be possible traditions for our bengals......let's get brainstorming on ideas again....

Why not have orange out games where the fans dress in orange shirts? Maybe black out games where the fans dress in black? Maybe have color coordinated sections where even numbered sections wear orange and odd numbered sections wear black? Throw a white out in the mix or have the students wear white shirts. Have the team and coaches endorse and promote the weekly color scheme.

This creates a money making opportunity, too. The school can sell modestly priced T-shirts with weekly slogans that meet the weekly color scheme. For example... "Black Out for the Bengals" or "The Orange Horde". There could be specific slogans for specific games or make them more generic so fans don't have to buy a new shirt every week.

Here's an example of the color scheme... http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=1584453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They should turn out the lights just before the team comes out. This would bring everyone’s attention to the video board. Spot light could follow the team as the main lights slowly come on. I’m told the video last year was pretty good but I never had a chance to watch it because there were people always talking and standing around me during it. Turning the lights down or off would let people know that the show was about to begin. We should give a free ticket to every high school football player. We could cap this promo off at 200 or so. The kid is going to bring his friends to the game and so the ticket would pay for itself. It’s also a good way to introduce potential recruits to Idaho State.

In an effort to create an event which includes an ISU home football game, have a weekly BBQ competition for the tailgaters. Each week, get a local business to sponsor the competition. Have the radio station (or the sponsor for that matter) select a couple of local dignitaries each week and an hour or so before the game, sample, judge and name a weekly winner. In the first season, check out the participation. If there's enough, it could turn into a revenue generating opportunity by charging a small fee to enter the competition. If there isn't a lot of participation, then take it as it is and don't charge. If there are enough fans in the vicinity of the Dome when the players begin their warm ups, create a "tunnel of Bengal fans" for the team to walk through. Again, the band, cheerleaders and Bennie could be a part of the "tunnel". The fans would get fired up and the team would, too. Again, making the home football games events, not just football games.

Red Hill said:
They should turn out the lights just before the team comes out. This would bring everyone’s attention to the video board. Spot light could follow the team as the main lights slowly come on. I’m told the video last year was pretty good but I never had a chance to watch it because there were people always talking and standing around me during it. Turning the lights down or off would let people know that the show was about to begin. We should give a free ticket to every high school football player. We could cap this promo off at 200 or so. The kid is going to bring his friends to the game and so the ticket would pay for itself. It’s also a good way to introduce potential recruits to Idaho State.

The "free ticket to every high school football player" would likely be a HUGE NO-NO with the NCAA.....

Highland HS has a slogan, that really sums it all up, and hopefully we can one day say this.. "Highland: Where Winning is a Tradition..." winning needs to be the only objective. Fans will come in droves, and spirit will run high if we can string some W's together.. If you are a fan, invite others, and spend some $ on gameday.. Wear ISU apparel to games and encourage everyone to do likewise.

With winning comes the need for consolidation. If we win but don't build up a connection, we'll end up like Boise State. I do not want that to happen. We have to build a connection: wins are wins, teams are teams and they come and go, but tradition, pride, honor and loyalty do not. Let's work to put the NATION in Bengal Nation :)

P.S.-Ferris wheels are fun :) just make sure we have cotton candy to go with it

Fine, let’s just give every high school student a buy one get one free voucher. This would help introduce the next generation of students to Idaho State. Also, we should play the homecoming game at Davis Field every year. This would connect our current teams to the past. Yes, I know we have a women’s soccer team. They can play a road game that week. I think the Ferris wheel is critical to the future success of the basketball team.

Red Hill said:
Fine, let’s just give every high school student a buy one get one free voucher. This would help introduce the next generation of students to Idaho State. Also, we should play the homecoming game at Davis Field every year. This would connect our current teams to the past. Yes, I know we have a women’s soccer team. They can play a road game that week. I think the Ferris wheel is critical to the future success of the basketball team.

Please, soccer plays ENOUGH on the road as it stands and has stood for years. When I say "Bengal Nation", I mean everything in it. From the Big 2 Sports (Football, Men's Basketball) to the club sports who rely only on fee waivers and passion. No sport moves over for the other. Soccer should not move over for football, football should not move over either. Not all teams are equal, but all teams are valuable.

Also, a few problems with the old Spud Bowl:

-Half the stands need to be renovated entirely
-The track is an issue: it lessens the impact of the crowd, for one, and the other being that it's not realistic to add sideline seating to the field (that becomes a liability)
-Parking, Red Hill? Even with shuttles running to and fro from Reed, Holt, etc, it's still not adequate enough. That core of Bengal Nation totals about 6,000. Add those on top of other folks, and you have yourself a parking nightmare.
-This fits into Homecoming: why does football have to be the only sport for HC Week? It's a week to celebrate ISU. Usually that week is dead because there's only one game...and you leave organizing and motivating an entire campus to the Student Activities Board and ASISU. While both organizations are potent, they cannot do it alone. Recognizing this, I feel that HC Week should be on a week with a LOT of home games. We've had weeks in years past where there has been a bonanza of ISU: 2 soccer matches, 2 volleyball matches, football, rugby and x-country...and HC Week was the week after, where there was literally the football game and that was all. If people were hoping a week full of ISU before the designated Homecoming week would be a sort of lead-in, well...put that idea on the shelf.

Oh I know that the Big 2 are the major sports, RedHill. I acknowledge it and have for many years. But I don't accept it.

I believe we shouldn't do anything half-assed at ISU. Put the "Nation" in Bengal Nation; I will proudly become the most broken record on the music selection to endorse that. We go forth together, we win together and we lose together. We have to emphasize that. You have to build everything up, altogether, over time. Patience and discipline is how an empire is forged, Mr. Hill. Tingey is doing an excellent job with this. Women's basketball and volleyball have their own locker rooms, while football got a new turf, scoreboard and electric event sign. Softball gets their new field at Bartz this year. Track is still needing a new track as it's about 2-3 years overdue for serious maintenence. But one step at a time; I'm sure it'll happen.

I do not believe Reganomics and "Trickle Down" builds anything long-lasting at a university. It only brings tension, drama, and fracturing. I don't care how Montana built their program. I don't care how those Communists in Boise built theirs. When ISU builds our athletic program, we do so with everyone. I don't desire to end up like Boise State where they only have football; that's all. I do not want the equivalent of Bobby Kustra at a graduation speech talking on and on about the Fiesta Bowl and never mentioning anyone or anything else at the university. ISU will NOT be a football team with a school like BSU.

Also, Soccer owns a 22-8-7 home record since Ali Gibson took over in 2006. That's not a losing streak, that's one of the best home records in the conference. And as I said, we play enough on the road as it is. Have we gone through losing streaks and tie-slumps? Sure. Have we scheduled some decent competition? Yup.

And no, it is not possible to play one game a year at Davis. Too much needs to be done in one space in a short time, and there'd be too much interference with soccer and track. My vote is no.

Would you feel better if the soccer team played a road game in Cancun instead? That's how the WOMEN'S basketball team is spending the football team's money this year.

The "football team's money"? Last I checked even though the football team brought in money, it is meant for everyone. Football is just one part of the athletic department operation.

And sure, the women play in tournaments all the time. Helps with their recruiting, marketing and not to mention they usually do very well in them; so why not pad the record in faraway lands? Why not go to Cancun? Men's basketball played in Vancouver last August, which is absolutely beautiful this time of year; it's a great vacation spot in the summertime and much of the autumn. Nobody said a word about it, especially you.

You wanna get everyone off the "football team's dime"? Encourage everyone to grow and win together. That way you create sustainability in all your programs, not just 2. The Big 2 cannot be the welfare plan for an athletic department. That's why marketing every sport is so vital. Don't be like the rich schools shelling out hundreds of millions on their crown jewel programs. As I said before and state again: Reganomics and Trickle Down is no way to run your athletic program (let alone the nation) Granted, it'd help if SE Idaho wasn't so male-dominated as far as sports go, but it cannot be helped in the long run.

Also, soccer does their own fundraisers in conjunction with the money they receive from the department. As do many of the other non-AWESOME, FANTASTIC, INVIOLABLE BIG 2.

I am not bagging on the Big 2. I just do not see the logic or the sustainability in ignoring everyone else while you bank your entire financial plan on one team that went 6-39 in the last era and another that was 9-20 this past season while you rip on the other squads, who do just as much work and put up with as much bullshit as everyone else. You're kind of a nutless wonder, Mr. Hill.

Letuknow-

No, it could not handle the attendance of a football game. Too much maintenance, too many issues with parking, too many renovations, and a waste of time and money, especially in light of the fact you're only wanting to play in there once a year. It's not economically justifiable.

isusuperfan said:
The "football team's money"? Blah, Blah, Blah....
Dude, you really need to get laid :lol:

Seriously though; most people only care about one specific sport and dedicate their time and money to that. The "You have to treat everyone the same and be fair theory" is HORSECRAP!

Football Rules you Word Bandit!

CAL BENGAL FAN said:
isusuperfan said:
The "football team's money"? Blah, Blah, Blah....
Dude, you really need to get laid :lol:

Seriously though; most people only care about one specific sport and dedicate their time and money to that. The "You have to treat everyone the same and be fair theory" is HORSECRAP!

Football Rules you Word Bandit!

I'll ignore your remark and cut to the chase, meathead. :coffee:

Cal, as you might have read, my concerns are mostly financial based as well as image based. I want a university that excels at everything and moves forward together. What's the point of having an athletics program when everything revolves around the football team? Yes, they are the vanguard of the program. Yes, they are the most important and they bring in the money. That's no excuse to ignore everyone else. I will forever maintain that the Big 2 cannot and should not ever be the welfare plan for the athletic department. Besides, only a handful of schools in the entire nation, out of every single division, are money-makers. So with that in mind, it's probably a good idea to market everyone and move forward together. You cannot lavish your army while leaving the other branches with hands extended, looking for handouts.

I just do not appreciate making concern only one team and leaving the rest coughing in the fumes. It makes little sense financially and it kills your image. The football team went 6-39 in 4 years. During that same time, women's basketball was always contending for conference championships and NCAA bids. Volleyball has risen to become a solid player in the Big Sky. The track and field programs and cross country are always one of the best in the West (and their coaches bleed ISU more than anyone on campus). When that "One Team" (football) goes into a tailspin like that, who suffers? The university. Because we're so stupid to put all the eggs in one basket, the image and reputation of our athletics suffers. And when that happens, everyone else could be putting forth a fantastic season, winning games and contending for championships. But no, it won't matter because the main attraction failed time and again, and Pocatello will have the arrogant ignorance to complain that "ISU sucks" and "there are no winners up there". And that affects recruits, money-raising efforts, and the overall pride of the university and community by extension.

Funny you infer that I am a proponent of equality and fairness...when my views on the playoff system in college football, combined with my deeper and more personal views on political and religious matters, are in direct conflict with the bleeding hearts of the left. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Super Fan, I know your heart is in the right place and I’ll never forget your speech to the student senate but I think you might be misguided on this one. Everyone in the league wants to be the next Montana but the Griz were just like the rest of the league before their football team started making playoff runs. The success of their football team fueled merchandise sales, stadium expansions and other improvements. Now, the Griz could end up in the WAC or even the Mountain West and it has nothing to do with their amazing women’s basketball team. I agree that it is important for all sports to do well but in this era of college athletics, football is king. You just have to take I-84 west to see how a powerful football team can change the image of a school. Eventually, that continued success will pay dividends with Boise State’s Olympic sports as well, just like it has for Montana. It’s important that we continue to invest heavily in the football team. I know we have the support of President Vailas. He has told me several times how bad he wants a Big Sky championship in football. It takes money to get there. Just look at the upgrades Montana State is doing this year. We seem to be on the right track now but we can’t get too comfortable. The next step needs to be installing field turf on the practice field and that needs to happen as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back