• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Let's talk on Defense

I have to believe our defense will be better in 2018. We seem to get better every season but we are still below average. What will it take for this defense to become average?

Our defense ranks at the bottom almost every year and has so for a very long time. I do not blame the actual coaching during games as players play but it is obvious our recruiting of players on defense is not so good. Maybe, coach Jay Staggs knows out to recruit players to make our defense better'

your words - apparently you blame everyone - please go root for someone else

spartan said:
Our defense ranks at the bottom almost every year and has so for a very long time. I do not blame the actual coaching during games as players play but it is obvious our recruiting of players on defense is not so good. Maybe, coach Jay Staggs knows out to recruit players to make our defense better'

your words - apparently you blame everyone - please go root for someone else
[/quote

:rofl: hey Spartan. you make me laugh. Thanks for adding my comment as it is true. Our defense is terrible and everybody knows it. We should be recruiting better players on defense by now. Why do you think fans are leaving the games early at Holt? They seen enough. I told you guys to go out and recruit JUCOs this recruiting season on defense but that did not happen so we will probably have another terrible season on defense.

you appear to be an (positive skew) example of the Dunning–Kruger effect

you may need to edit your post a few more times - eventually you may figure out exactly what you're trying to say

we get it - you hate idaho state, its students, staff, athletes and everyone

seriously - go root for (or against) someone else

I am glad you are reading my posts Spartan. If no one has nothing to say about the defense than that is ok. Apparently, you do not have nothing to say about the defense because what I am saying is true and all you can do is make it look like I am the bad guy. Dream on Cheerleader. Watch the attendance drop after a few games.

I've been to many games in Holt since '98, and the only year I thought they didn't suck was when Gutierrez transferred in from Michigan. If ISU can find a great QB, and another Jared Allen, maybe there is a chance that 36 years frustration can be reversed. The only good football now played in Holt is when Highland hosts some good 5A team.

otis campbell said:
I've been to many games in Holt since '98, and the only year I thought they didn't suck was when Gutierrez transferred in from Michigan. If ISU can find a great QB, and another Jared Allen, maybe there is a chance that 36 years frustration can be reversed. The only good football now played in Holt is when Highland hosts some good 5A team.

I'm kinda thinking you don't have a good memory. Gutierrez transferred in for the 2006 season, and ISU went 2-9. That was the season which cost Larry Lewis his job.

You should actually come inside from the tailgate sometime. :beer: ;)

otis campbell said:

So you thought they sucked between '98 and the Gutierrez year when they had back to back 8 win teams, including a double OT win over your Griz? It's almost as if you come on here just to talk shit and ruffle feathers. Almost.

Gotta pressure the QB better this year. I have only watched the last two seasons of ISU football and to me the glaring weakness to our defense is we don’t get serious pressure on the opposing QB. If we can pressure the QB like we did vs Nevada last season that will make our defense a whole lot better. That will eliminate a lot of those big chunk pass plays. I thought our defense looked good for a lot of that Nevada game and it was because we got good pressure on that qb. He was uncomfortable a lot in that game.

Skippy said:
up for the challenge said:
How many QB sacks did we have on defense in 2017 ?

14. Gave up 34.

I saw that Skippy thank you. We ranked 12th in the Big Sky in getting sacks. You are right Demian. Our defensive in 2017 did not put much pressure on the QB according to Sack Stats. Another must improvement area to go from the bottom to average. Everything about our defense sucks according to Stats. I am curious to see if our defense improves in 2018 but to me it depends on the players filling in at the At Need positions. Maybe, the current starters on defense will be better players in 2018. We will see.

sasquatch said:
otis campbell said:

So you thought they sucked between '98 and the Gutierrez year when they had back to back 8 win teams, including a double OT win over your Griz? It's almost as if you come on here just to talk shit and ruffle feathers. Almost.

Oh sure Sasquatch. Otis tells you what he thinks and you tell him to go away in so many words because you do not want to read what he has to say. Correct him or disagree with him is alright but not to tell him or any other poster to come on here to talk shit and ruffle feathers. They can say the same about you if they want too. I am telling you and every poster on this site that our defense sucks and has been that way for a long long time. Correct me or disagree with me on your reasons why they do not suck. We have a long way to go to get to average. I do not blame the players or coaches. To me, it is about recruiting to fill the At Need positions every season and in my opinion we do poor in that area.

He must be a midget or dwarf, because he missed. Gets a B- for effort. :rofl: If I kicked back, I'd probably get at least a preferred walk-on offer from Phenicie. :lol:

Everyone knows the issues, but honestly last year was hangover from Kramers era. We need to give Phen and "his" team of coaches in his first year of true recruiting a chance to see what's coming. Looking at our signees, we pulled in some very good players that I believe will have a solid impact. In addition, we lost very few core players and let me tell you, this group of Juniors and Seniors are much bigger, stronger and faster than they were last year.

Tacoma5 said:
Everyone knows the issues, but honestly last year was hangover from Kramers era. We need to give Phen and "his" team of coaches in his first year of true recruiting a chance to see what's coming. Looking at our signees, we pulled in some very good players that I believe will have a solid impact. In addition, we lost very few core players and let me tell you, this group of Juniors and Seniors are much bigger, stronger and faster than they were last year.

I believe what you are saying about junior and senior players being bigger, stronger, and faster as one year can make a difference in those areas. I hear what you are saying about giving Coach Phen some time regarding recruiting but can you tell me what he did to improve the defense during this past recruiting for the 2018 season besides making some coaching changes? Most of the players he recruited for defense are incoming freshman. How does that help the defense going into the 2018 season? I am all in for signing mostly high players for future play but we need impact players this season to become average. He had his chance to obtain Step Down players and sign some JUCO's on defense and he only signed four total and I believe one will be playing on the OL. I do not think that was enough to improve our defense overall. Bringing in 4-6 Transfers on defense could have made a difference for the 2018 season. We gave Kramer 6 years of recruiting to improve our defense. It did not happen as we are still rank at the bottom of the conference almost every season.

As I recall, Kramer preferred to build from the bottom up, HS recruits over JCs or drop downs. I was, and still remain, pro-Kramer, but it didn't work out. Is it even possible to resurrect ISU football??? Serious question.

Latest posts

Back